Saudi/Russian Arms Deal Pending

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Not_Whistlin_Dixie, Feb 11, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From The Moscow Times:

"Moscow is preparing its first major defense contract with Saudi Arabia, the world's largest arms buyer that has traditionally spent its petrodollars on U.S.-made weapons.

"The deal is part of a strategy aimed at diversifying Russia's arms buyers away from China and India, Sergei Chemezov, general director of state-owned arms exporter Rosoboronexport, told reporters Wednesday."

"Russia Says It's Ready To Arm Saudi Arabia" by Lyuba Pronina. 10 February 2005
  2. Lets face it BMP-3 and Mig 29 etc aint too shabby....
  3. I wouldn't a few dushkas in the armoury.

Not that the Saudis are hard up for a few quid, but 50000 RPKs and 200 BMPS I'd guess as coming in just a touch cheaper than US hmgs and bradleys?
  4. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

An associate of mine was crewing a Warrior during a middle eastern arms expo, and the Sovs were offering 4 x BMP 3 for the price of 1 x Desert Warrior. For those kind of prices, I'd say we should start buying from Ivan.
  5. I know Russian equipmet isn't as bad as it's made out to be, but the export stuff is rather pants thought isn't it? They keep the decent gear and give the crap stuff to arabs/terrorists or whoever else wants it.
  6. Not any more ... Since the fall of the Soviet Union they seem to be selling anything and everything to raise some money. Before that though, you're quite right.

As to quality, you get what you pay for. It does most of what you want for a very low price, so you can afford a lot of them - quantity having a quality all of its own and all that. Spares have historically been a problem and it probably won't last as long as the western equivalent. But it is cheaper.

Also bear in mind that a lot of the kit is designed for a different doctrine so comparisons with western kit are not always valid. For instance, they put a section in BTR 60/70/80 where we would put them in a 4-tonner or Pinz. BMP might not be as good as Warrior but you'd get one instead of Saxon as well. The MTLB is not an APC, it's a prime mover - so you'd tow your light gun with one instead of a Pinz. I could go on but I sense you might be going to sleep about now as the Red Army doctrine centre of my brain starts to spring to life.
  7. well a btr has got to be better than a saxon
    it could'nt be any worse could it ?(':roll:')