Saudi - Palace Coup under way?

A very comprehensive article. Worth taking the time to read for anyone wanting to get an overview of several aspects of the Kingdom today.
It's good(ish) but relies a bit too much on hearsay and is written for Guardianistas. The mutawaeen were restricted last year and KSA's lead in Yemen can be disputed, UAE has invested a lot in it.

Everyone knows the rules, what some westerners see as a palpable fear is often a sensible circumspection but I certainly never noticed a general fear and was much further out in the sticks than many. The comparison with Iran on execution is frankly absurd, for sure the Iranians don't behead people publicly, they slowly hang them using cranes. Which is much more humane...

It's the ME, it's the way it is to one degree or another throughout the area. See the barbarism in Iraq and Syria.

Last edited:

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
*India has a problem in that it does not have the water quantities needed in the areas to actually get to them!
Luckily they have a seemingly inexhaustible supply of liquid shit so odds on they'll soon be pumping that into the ground (for the first time ever on the subcontinent).

Ongoing, any opposition being rolled up

There's more:

A second Saudi official said he didn’t believe the people arrested were behind a possible coup attempt, but said “there are clear links between many of those arrested and the Muslim Brotherhood.”

But never mind because women can drive...
Oh, and MBS to be proclaimed king shortly....

Helicopter apparently, how convenient.

It's all getting very murky in Saudi this week.
Can anyone guess why he may have been a target, if indeed, it wasn't a simple accident?

It's all getting very murky in Saudi this week.
Can anyone guess why he may have been a target, if indeed, it wasn't a simple accident?
No idea, KSA blaming Iran for supplying MANPADS, Abha very dodgy landing sometimes. Lots of cross winds.

To be fair, Yemen is a dangerous place right now.

A member of the UAE Royal Family was injured in a crash killing four back in August

UAE Royal Injured, 4 Soldiers Killed in Yemen Helicopter Crash

Probably unhelpful the current political climate in Saudi, as the Middle East loves a conspiratorial explanation.

Well, being hanged upside down and beaten for prolonged periods will concentrate the mind somewhat.
Reform done a Capone stylee is an interesting concept.

Gunfire reported near or at the Royal Palace. Rumour of a coup and Bin Salman being "evacuated". Other rumours say it's a terrorist attack. I suspect we'll find out in a couple of hours.

Edit: Videos appearing online with lots of heavy gunfire in Riyadh.

Gunfire reported near or at the Royal Palace. Rumour of a coup and Bin Salman being "evacuated". Other rumours say it's a terrorist attack. I suspect we'll find out in a couple of hours.

Edit: Videos appearing online with lots of heavy gunfire in Riyadh.
Yup - lots of tweets.

I’m not seeing much on the news outlets.

Keep the updates coming.

Could be a storm in a teacup or nothing to worry about.

This seems too much gunfire, from too many weapons, to be directed at a drone. I wonder if we will find out what happened/is happening?

Edit - it's obviously a particularly resilient drone, given the amount of gunfire...

Last edited:
Posting this as, more than anything, it's quite funny. 'There is NO gunfire. Stupid! Someone has added sounds to an otherwise peaceful scene. Listen to the melodious birds'

Latest Threads