Saudi Journalist Disappears in Saudi Consulate in Turkey

exsniffer

Old-Salt
The Saudi Hawk display team are called the green arrows.

The Saudi Hawk display team are called the green arrows.
First time was RIAT 2011 my pics below (along with their support Herk). As it happened there were a trio of peace protestors outside the blue car park (farmers field) handing out anti saudi leaflets showing their cough cough supposedly crap human rights, shoving them into unsuspecting kids hands. Thing was though one side of leaflet was deceptive showing win-a-free-gift ....anyhow I was shoved one and promtly screwed it up and the local ATC cadets who were tasked with parking and helpung generla public were apologeitc to me as one took it from my hand to chuck away.
I felt sorry as they appeared to be intimidated by these three guys protesting..I had an argument with their leader while standing between him and the air cadets. Their leader accused me of flying and using deplteed uranium rounds (prick). Next day when I returned back to RIAT, no sign of protestors and air cadets were smiling.
285785_10150323452896490_7918443_n.jpg

267429_10150323452826490_1100974_n.jpg

285714_10150323452686490_7057622_n.jpg

281201_10150323452741490_5868271_n.jpg

Second time t saw them 2011 Yeovilton Air Day (my pic below)

487199_10151657289536490_234531079_n.jpg

As it happens over the years, likes of the Reds have gone over to instruct and fly with the Greens while on exchange postings or post RAF service.

cheers

Last edited:
Btw just looking back at my adventures at Dubai Air Show, during the 2018 show I wandered past the Airbus chalet area and there was A new CN295W Airlifter belonging to the Saudi Ministry of Interior, still in Spanish reg (as built assembled by Airbus Spain in Aöbercete).

07763DC8-641A-4B51-998A-7C9CAA27DB6F.jpeg

Order was back in 2015

The Ministry also,operates Sikorsky S-92, S-76D, S-70i and they being the only customer for short lived Sikorsky S-434 light training helo.

cheers

A new documentary about the killing of Jamal Khashoggi made by the the same guy who made "Icarus", the expose about Russian doping...
The Dissident (2020) - IMDb

Under new management.

No more free-passes for murdering dissidents abroad, no more high-tech toys.

Oh dear.

giphy.gif

Under new management.

Oh dear.

giphy.gif
One the one hand I agree on that point re holding them to account for unacceptable behaviour. On the other hand there's a bigger picture too. Thinking of a recent peace deal.

Slime

LE
Under new management.

Oh dear.

giphy.gif

It’s lucky the USA is the only possible supplier of hi tech weapons to those countries........oh, hang on.

Perhaps a ‘much cheaper’ than an American pass will land in the laps of other suppliers, and may increase China’s ever glowing slice of the UAV market.

Under new management.

Oh dear.

giphy.gif
I suppose it was getting a bit difficult to continue claiming that Turkey's S-400 missiles were a threat to the security of the F-35 but that Saudi Arabia's S-400 missiles weren't going to be any problem at all for the security of the F-35. Someone after all might have noticed the contradiction and drawn their own conclusions about how real that security story was.

POTuS has been in communication with his highness over the embassy incident, as the Langley crowd have been burning the midnight oil compiling report for the DNI.

On the news, one prominent American gent (can’t remember if he’s politician, spook or editor of the Washington Post) stated the vic was in employ of an American tabloid, lived in States and should see justice done.

cheers

Under new management.

Oh dear.

giphy.gif

Good for the old man. Even some senior Republicans are applauding. Don't expect HMG (this or any HMG) to follow suit.

The UN rapporteur on the Khashoggi affair, Agnès Callamard, said that bin Salman needs to face personal consequences for the murder. She says there needs to be "sanctions" place on his foreign assets (I assume she means freezing them) and that the world needs to "banish him to the extent possible from international gathering or from some international gathering".
U.S. State Department announces 'Khashoggi ban' for individuals who target dissidents

Agnès Callamard, the UN special rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions, told CBC Power & Politics host Vassy Kapelos that there should be consequences for the crown prince.

"Targeted sanctions against his assets abroad is an important step towards holding him to account. It should not be just that," she said. "I think that we should take steps as an international community to banish him to the extent possible from international gathering or from some international gathering.

"In my view, that's a first action in the in the direction of accountability."

There is a video interview with Callamard in the above story.

The US response was that there may be visa restrictions placed on some of the people involved in the murder of Khashoggi, but there is no word whether bin Salman will be personally affected. Instead the US emphasised that "Saudi Arabia remains an important partner for the United States on a whole host of issues."

Asked how the Khashoggi report would influence Washington's policy with Riyadh, Blinken said that "Saudi Arabia remains an important partner for the United States on a whole host of issues."

"But we want to make sure that that partnership is clearly advancing our interests and reflects our values."

A US intelligence report says that bin Salman was very likey involved in the murder.
Saudi crown prince approved murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi: U.S. intelligence report

Note from Mo to Vlad - next time cut your victims up into pieces with a bone saw inside your embassies instead of poisoning them and the powers that be will do their best to pretend that it didn't happen.

One the one hand I agree on that point re holding them to account for unacceptable behaviour. On the other hand there's a bigger picture too. Thinking of a recent peace deal.

Rest assured if it fails it will still be Trumps** fault - unworkable deal, not water tight clauses etc

Therfore Biden can act as he sees fit - since his support base will be grr Trump by default - equally the hardcore Trump support arent goin to vote dems anyway so nothing to lose by upsetting them.

The swing voters well theres 4 years for Kamala to woo them back

**insert the outgoing presidents fault as applicable to other administrations

i know I have posted this on the Meg & Harry thread, but the victims lawyer is frowning at MBS gift of earrings to Meg and her wearing it.

There are thousands of gift recipients worldwide from his good self and in this case it’s flagged up with the worlds attention on the former Royal couple.

Any thoughts?

cheers

i know I have posted this on the Meg & Harry thread, but the victims lawyer is frowning at MBS gift of earrings to Meg and her wearing it.

There are thousands of gift recipients worldwide from his good self and in this case it’s flagged up with the worlds attention on the former Royal couple.

Any thoughts?

cheers
Exchanges of gifts between Saudi royalty and their equivalents in other parts of the world has long been part of normal diplomacy. In my opinion it's up to the UK foreign office and other relevant government officials as to whether working (at the time in question) members of the UK Royal Family accept a gift of that nature from what is still considered to be a friendly country, even if MBS himself is no longer looked upon favourably.

Wearing the earrings at this time though would show a certain lack of taste and a high degree of self-centredness by the recipient.

The UN have confirmed that a Saudi official made death threats against Agnes Callamard, the UN official who was investigating the murder of Khashoggi, the journalist who was sawn up in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.
UN confirms Saudi threat against official investigating Khashoggi murder

The senior Saudi official was in Geneva for a meeting with the UN and complained about Callamard and said he had spoken to people who would be prepared to "take care of her".
The alleged threat was made during a meeting between Geneva-based Saudi diplomats, a visiting Saudi delegation and UN officials, the Guardian reported. After the Saudi side criticized Callamard's work in the case, the newspaper reported, one senior Saudi official said he had spoken to people prepared to "take care of her."

The UN told both Callamard and the authorities about the threat.

No but I’m sure Vlad or XI will pick up slack, remember the last time we had ethical foreign policy...that worked.

Relax, even less ethical people will pick up the baton of working with the Saudis.

Royal Saudi Land Forces and the US Marines completed their week-long Falcon Claws 3 maneuvers in the Kingdom’s northwestern region that aimed to strengthen Saudi-US relations, particularly in the military field.

:p

Relax, even less ethical people will pick up the baton of working with the Saudis.

:p
with respect, I think I've worked that out. FP has nothing to do with ethics, no matter how you dress it up.

with respect, I think I've worked that out. FP has nothing to do with ethics, no matter how you dress it up.

Indeed.

On an aside, when I clear my out of control "to read" pile, I mean to get this

Captain William Shakespear was one of the first British officers to explore the Nejdi desert of the Arabian Peninsula. He provided London with valuable intelligence and cultivated a personal relationship with the Emir of Riyadh Ibn Sa’ud, laying the foundations for diplomatic relations with the emir, and later the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

He was killed during a battle, whilst still acting as an advisor and political agent.

I wonder what could have been had our trio of Lawrence, Bell and he had better outcomes to their efforts?

Indeed.

On an aside, when I clear my out of control "to read" pile, I mean to get this

He was killed during a battle, whilst still acting as an advisor and political agent.

I wonder what could have been had our trio of Lawrence, Bell and he had better outcomes to their efforts?
TBF, I don't think Lawrence was supported at all well by the FO in relation to his dealings with the arabs. You pick that up in Seven Pillars and it runs like a thread through the whole book. I can honestly say that having been a child out there (Libya) for six years and dad having served out there, the west gets an entirely wrong view of the Arab. We really didn't do ourselves any favours.
The Arabs will sell anything to anyone, that includes Oil. Suez has been an Egyptian possession for donkeys now, trade still flows, our companies work in Saudi to the benefit of both parties, but we viewed the tribal differences as childish.
In later years dad worked for Oilfield contractors importing Cats and Oilfied gear and Land Rovers. Mum worked for the Department of Public works in Benghazi. Her boss was all over Europe, buying for his own business as well. Her Letters from him are quite a surprise and he wasn't slumming it. They bot dealt with Syrians, Lebanese, Jordanians in fact from all over and one of my childhood mates still lives in Tripoli (Lebanon) and also has a London address. They have a completely different outlook to the fundamentalists, with who they frankly wouldn't drink Shahi.
In later years as Customs I had occasion to seize books about nuclear fission going to Tripoli (Libya) that were basically textbooks for those studying physics at a London University because of the sanctions. The seizures were pointless because they could be obtained through other means.

Latest Threads