Saudi Journalist Disappears in Saudi Consulate in Turkey

Hippohunter

War Hero
The UK has, as expected, adopted the 'don't do that again or we'll definitely tell you not to do that again' diplomatic approach.

We have a long history of ex-public school diplomats, adventurers and homosexuals who are traditionally attracted to and overawed by Arabs and all things Arab. Couple this with the inherent British vice of avarice and it is little wonder that the RSA feel free to do exactly as they please without any fear of consequences.
I think that sums up the Foreign Offices policy to the Middle East very well, chuck in a bit of nepotism where the PM's son is appointed the agent to a very lucrative UK/Saudi arms deal and it is complete.

Turkey are holding an in absentia trial of the Saudis accused of murdering Jamal Khashoggi's. His fiancée appeared at the trial to testify.
Jamal Khashoggi's fiancée appears at Saudis' trial in absentia in Turkey
The fiancée of Jamal Khashoggi told a Turkish court Friday that the Washington Post columnist was lured to his death at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul through "a great betrayal and deception," and she asked that all of the people responsible for his killing be brought to justice.

Hatice Cengiz spoke at the opening of the trial in absentia of two former aides of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and 18 other Saudi nationals who were charged in Turkey for Khashoggi's grisly slaying. The journalist's 2018 killing at the consulate sparked international condemnation and cast a cloud of suspicion over the prince.

The trial is of interest as it may reveal new evidence, including possibly what happened to Khashoggi's body, or at least various sawn up bits of it.
The trial in Turkey is being closely watched for possible new information or evidence from the killing, including the whereabouts of Khashoggi's remains.

The chances of the Saudis ever turning over the accused for trial are of course nil at this time. Turkey has charged (in absentia) 20 Saudis with murder. Saudi Arabia held their own trial of 11 people in December, where 5 were sentenced to death and 3 were sentenced to various prison terms.

The chances of the Saudis ever turning over the accused for trial are of course nil at this time. Turkey has charged (in absentia) 20 Saudis with murder. Saudi Arabia held their own trial of 11 people in December, where 5 were sentenced to death and 3 were sentenced to various prison terms.
Would the Saudis compromise and offer them in a Midnight Express deal?

Slime

LE
Turkey are holding an in absentia trial of the Saudis accused of murdering Jamal Khashoggi's. His fiancée appeared at the trial to testify.
Jamal Khashoggi's fiancée appears at Saudis' trial in absentia in Turkey

The trial is of interest as it may reveal new evidence, including possibly what happened to Khashoggi's body, or at least various sawn up bits of it.

Whether the accused are the correct people to be accused is one thing, whether ‘people’ would ever be sent to Turkey might be a different issue.

Would the Saudis compromise and offer them in a Midnight Express deal?
The Saudis seem to be intent on just allowing time and events to push the memory of Khashoggi's murder into the background, at least outside of Turkey. At present, Turkey themselves are too diplomatically isolated to do much about it. The Americans seem quite satisfied to allow journalists for their newspapers to be butchered provided the butcher has enough money and influence.

And the story has taken yet another twist. Two weeks after Khashoggi was murdered in late 2018, the Saudi hit squad was sent out again to seek out another target, this time in Toronto.
Saudi crown prince sent hit squad to Canada to kill former spy, lawsuit claims
Saudi hit squad was sent to Toronto to try to kill former intel official, lawsuit alleges

The target this time was Saad Aljabri, currently a permanent resident of Canada. Aljabri was a long time Saudi government official involved with national security and counter-intelligence, and had deep knowledge of Mohammed bin Salman's business affairs, and the operations of bin Salman's personal hit squad, the "Tiger Squad".

Apparently Aljabri held a cabinet rank post as a close advisor to Crown Prince Muhammad bin Nayef. Bin Nayef was first in line to the throne, but was ousted in a power struggle and replaced by bin Salman in 2017, and relieved of all his offices and placed under house arrest. Recently bin Nayef has been placed in prison, and charged with corruption and plotting to overthrow bin Salman. While in office bin Nayef had worked closely with US and UK intelligence, and they regarded him as a key figure in their Middle East policy.
Saudi crown prince preparing new charges against Mohammed bin Nayef: Report

Due to his position, Aljabri knows a lot about the most sensitive affairs of Saudi Arabia, including which foreign bank accounts various members of the Saudi royal family have stashed their money in.

Aljabri, as well has being a Saudi citizen, also has dual Maltese citizenship. In 2017 Aljabri left Saudi Arabia to go to Turkey, and then secretly on to Toronto, where he now lives (some other news sources have a more complex version of this, but this one will do). Bin Salman ordered Aljabri to return home via instant messaging, and sent threats to "use all available means" and to "take measures that would be harmful to you" if Aljabri refused to comply.

Bin Salman sent Tiger Squad members to Toronto in mid October 2018, less than two weeks after Khashoggi was murdered in Istanbul. Among them were DNA forensic experts, a senior military officer, and a member of the foreign affairs ministry. There was no news if they had a bone saw in their luggage.

However, Canada's immigration control considered them to look a bit dubious and denied them entry, except for one who was allowed in due to having a diplomatic passport.

Bin Salman apparently hasn't given up on eliminating Aljabri, and is still working on getting a hit squad into Canada, possibly via the American border. Back in Saudi Arabia Aljabri's relatives have been arrested and tortured, or simply "disappeared" by the authorities.

Also, apparently Saudi Arabia have agents inside Twitter, who are used to gather information about critics of bin Salman abroad. The story wasn't clear about this latter point, but I presume this has something to do with Twitter having private information about account holders. American social media operates on a business model of gathering a vast amount of personal information about everyone who comes in contact with it and selling it to advertisers. Presumably these insiders funnel this same information to Saudi intelligence, who would find this same information equally enlightening.

The Canadian government won't speak directly about the issue just yet, but the Public Safety Minister said that they are aware of "foreign actors" attempting to "monitor, intimidate or threaten Canadians and those living in Canada.”
Public Safety Minister Bill Blair said in a statement through his office that while he couldn’t discuss matters before the courts, “We are aware of incidents in which foreign actors have attempted to monitor, intimidate or threaten Canadians and those living in Canada.”

“Canadians can be confident that our security agencies have the skills and resources necessary to detect, investigate and respond to such threats.”

Saudi Arabia presses Canada to end refuge for Saad Aljabri, ex-intelligence officer
Saudi family in Canada breaks silence as children seized in Riyadh
In 2017 Saudi Arabia asked Interpol to issue a red notice for the arrest of Aljabri. Interpol withdrew the red notice as they deemed it to be politically motivated. The Saudis also have recently been pressing Canada to had over Aljabri.

Aljabri has managed to get his wife and 6 of his 8 children to Canada. Two of his children are currently under arrest in Saudi Arabia, as well has his brother. The Saudi authorities are using them as hostages to try to get Aljabri to return.

Apparently the Aljabri situation was also a major factor in Saudi Arabia making various (futile) threats against Canada and breaking off diplomatic relations a couple of years ago. This answers some interesting questions about that incident, as it seemed at the time to be a massive over-reaction to a routine press release about human rights. Now it appears that the behind the scenes motivation was Canada refusing to hand over Aljabri.

As a side note, the Globe and Mail story mentions that one of the reasons that Aljabri came to Canada rather than the US was that he didn't trust Trump or Kushner, and apparently thought bin Salman had too much influence over them.

Here's a copy of a letter from Canada's then Minister of Public Safety to Aljabri, thanking him for a meeting and saying he was looking forward to working with him in the future. So, Aljabri was apparently not a small fish.

7UUAB7TLJVGH7AHNU7235LWHOY.jpg

Last edited:
Considering the egregious and (likely) ongoing human rights abuse against those of low as well as high status in SA, I imaging that the likes of Lewis Hamilton and Anthony Joshua will be boycotting the place and presumably give any accrued ill gotten gains from the place to some exploited underclass or other.

I can take the moral high ground on this position as earlier this week I received an offer of a three month contract in that poisonous place but eschewed whatever pieces of silver this would have got me.

A Saudi court sentenced 8 people involved in the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi to between 7 and 20 years in prison.
Saudi Arabia sentences 8 to prison in final Khashoggi murder ruling
A Saudi Arabian court on Monday jailed eight people for between seven and 20 years for the 2018 murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, state media reported, four months after his family forgave his killers and enabled death sentences to be set aside.

5 were given 20 year sentences, 1 got a 10 year sentence, and 2 got 7 year sentences.
State media reported that five people were handed 20-year prison sentences, one person was sentenced to 10 years and two people were handed seven-year sentences for the killing of the Washington Post columnist.

According to Turkish investigators, the his squad consisted of 15 people in total.
Turkish investigators say a team of 15 Saudi agents had flown to Turkey to meet Khashoggi inside the consulate for his appointment for documents that would allow him to marry his Turkish fiancée, who waited outside. The team included a forensic doctor, intelligence and security officers, and individuals who worked directly for the crown prince's office, according to Agnes Callamard, who investigated the killing for the United Nations.

Western governments believe that Prince Mohammed bin Salman ordered the hit, but he was not among those charged.
Some Western governments, as well as the CIA, said they believed Prince Mohammed had ordered the killing.

About a month ago I posted a news story (see above) saying that at about the same time another Saudi hit squad was sent to Toronto targetting another Saudi exile, but were turned back at immigration as they were viewed as being suspicious.

A Saudi court sentenced 8 people involved in the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi to between 7 and 20 years in prison.

5 were given 20 year sentences, 1 got a 10 year sentence, and 2 got 7 year sentences.

According to Turkish investigators, the his squad consisted of 15 people in total.

Western governments believe that Prince Mohammed bin Salman ordered the hit, but he was not among those charged.

About a month ago I posted a news story (see above) saying that at about the same time another Saudi hit squad was sent to Toronto targetting another Saudi exile, but were turned back at immigration as they were viewed as being suspicious.

I think there are two possibilities with this trial;

- The scapegoats will be quietly allowed to slip out of jail pronto, no-one other than the authorities will know who they were anyway and in somewhere like Saudi that can be made to happen very easily.
- There was no trial and the whole story of one and the defendants was cooked up for Western public consumption. What evidence is there that a trial actually took place? Again a very easy thing for the Saudis to claim if they so wanted.

Last edited:
Considering the egregious and (likely) ongoing human rights abuse against those of low as well as high status in SA, I imaging that the likes of Lewis Hamilton and Anthony Joshua will be boycotting the place and presumably give any accrued ill gotten gains from the place to some exploited underclass or other.

I can take the moral high ground on this position as earlier this week I received an offer of a three month contract in that poisonous place but eschewed whatever pieces of silver this would have got me.

Good for you.

I worked there for nearly two years in the mid-seventies and nothing on earth would possess me to return there.

Mid-nineties, my boss asked me to go to KSA to follow up a potentially very lucrative deal. "Sack me now. There is no effing way I am going there as long as I still have a hole in my ARRSE". He sent some bellend who we all fervently hoped would get chucked in some vile dungeon and get bummed to death.

Sadly he had a great time there and earned a large pot of Judas silver.

Good for you.

I worked there for nearly two years in the mid-seventies and nothing on earth would possess me to return there.

Mid-nineties, my boss asked me to go to KSA to follow up a potentially very lucrative deal. "Sack me now. There is no effing way I am going there as long as I still have a hole in my ARRSE". He sent some bellend who we all fervently hoped would get chucked in some vile dungeon and get bummed to death.

Sadly he had a great time there and earned a large pot of Judas silver.

I have no burning issue with anyone simply going to earn money, as long they don't become the sanctimonious pillock that Hamilton is.

Being a bell-end like your pal there is one thing, being a tax-dodging and indulgent, take your money from any old dictator while (with bare faced cheek) insisting you occupy the moral high ground irritant is another, all while lecturing others who have not risen to such dizzy heights of robbing the poor and ignoring the oppressed.

Last edited:
I think there are two possibilities with this trial;

- The scapegoats will be quietly allowed to slip out of jail pronto, no-one other than the authorities will know who they were anyway and in somewhere like Saudi that can be made to happen very easily.
- There was no trial and the whole story of one and the defendants was cooked up for Western public consumption. What evidence is there that a trial actually took place? Again a very easy thing for the Saudis to claim if they so wanted.
Alternatively, they will spend a couple of years under internal exile with their families in some out of the way part of the country before being quietly pardoned.

I wonder whether they've been giving a custodial for blowing their mission.

Slightly digressing I attended RIAT 2011 both days and it was first appearance of the RSAF Saudi Hawk team (funnily enough based on our Reds with some of the instructors either current or ex RAF FJ crews and the odd Red). They have Hawk T.1 and their support Herk on static display (my photos)

46304081-233E-4A66-A976-A56DDBF0AAB8.jpeg
58132754-E713-4D0D-A65E-8359DFF06AFA.jpeg

I saw the Saudi Hawks perform weekend before at Yeovilton ...

Anyhow on the Saturday of the show, there three individual protestor outside the Blue Car Park (in farmers field) shoving leaflets which looked on the front as win competition for wine and on the otherwise was human rights anti Saudi propaganda.....about them using depleted uranium rounds in their armory

Prob was the leaflets were shoved into kids hands as well as large families descend Onto Fairford once a year for the air show. I was minding my own business when a long haired chap in woolly pullover and jeans shoved leaflet into my hand and I turned around and had s go at him, his mate and their leader who looked and spoke like an academic type. They were also coming across as intimidating to the ATC cadets who were on car park duty (no sign of Ana dult instructor to be seen)

I screwed up the leaflet and looking for bin but couldn’t see any and one AtC cadet came jo to me and said ‚sorry sir about this‘ and took leaflet from me to be chucked away. Told him not to worry, and the leader of the protest group was shouting at me accusing me of being a war monger etc and when I fly do I carry depleted uranium ammo. Ummmm I am in civvy aviation you idiots.

Next day returned to the show and suffice to say the protestors were not there either nicked or kicked off.

cheers