Saudi Journalist Disappears in Saudi Consulate in Turkey

That's certainly Vlad's way in respect of killing people on our streets.
As for mr.Khashoggi, his murder (that was recognized, proved) then still no one country imposed any sanctions against the KSA - Business as usual.
As for some unproved allegations then the West was quick to impose sanctions. So why do you think the attitude is so different?

As for mr.Khashoggi, his murder (that was recognized, proved) then still no one country imposed any sanctions against the KSA - Business as usual.
Actually they have, as already pointed out here - Germany has suspended arms sales indefinitely.
As for some unproved allegations then the West was quick to impose sanctions. So why do you think the attitude is so different?
The allegations are actually rather more proven than those against the KSA, however similarly obvious those responsible may appear.

... and the US sanctions were obligatory under US law due to the use of a chemical agent and they certainly weren't "quick" as they were imposed five months after the incident and 30 days after US law requires, while apart from the token expulsion of diplomats the EU and the UK imposed virtually no sanctions beyond those already imposed over the Ukraine / Crimea.

KSA are going to prosecute and try some aren't they? Prosecutor has called for the the death penalty for five suspects. What more do you want? They'll say nowt, family will get a hefty payoff and everyone happy.

Your daughter came to my house and she kicked my dog. Now my dog needs an operation. I need your address for the bill, Товарищ.

Sanctions by the US were discussed here: https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/t...saudi-consulate-in-turkey.286905/post-8912575
Also mentioned was that Canada was preparing similar sanctions. Other countries may announce their own equivalents once the list has been finalized.

Your daughter came to my house and she kicked my dog. Now my dog needs an operation. I need your address for the bill, Товарищ.
No problem. Go to the British court that will make lawful decision and will determine amount of compensation. Then go to British border service that likely would inform you that the person in question didn't enter the UK while she recently visited France.

No problem. Go to the British court that will make lawful decision and will determine amount of compensation. Then go to British border service that likely would inform you that the person in question didn't enter the UK while she recently visited France.
How does it feel to live in a country that is even shitter than the Republic of Ireland?

"You've queued up at the wrong shop, comrade. We have no sausages, if you want no potatoes, you have to go next door"

Sanctions against some Saudi officials? But no one Saudi diplomat was expelled yet.
They managed to do their murdering where technically they have diplomatic immunity and the host country may not enter. Your fecking yobbos have been spreading CW though the UK like it was a sherbet fountain.

Whataboutism being the new Russian diplomatic ace card also shows that you're pretty pissed off if this is your top move.

Last edited:
From the depths of twitter, an old arab saying apparently. يقتل القتيل ويمشي في جنازته

Despite the CIA leaks as to their opinion, the US government has not yet made a formal decision as to their position on the Khashoggi affair.
Trump administration denies reaching conclusion on Khashoggi killing | CBC News
After U.S. President Donald Trump called his CIA chief and top diplomat from Air Force One as he flew to survey wildfire damage in California, the State Department released a statement saying "recent reports indicating that the U.S. government has made a final conclusion are inaccurate."
Trump made his usual waffle about money and jobs.
In his remarks, the president spoke of Saudi Arabia as "a truly spectacular ally in terms of jobs and economic development."

"I have to take a lot of things into consideration" when deciding what measures to take against the kingdom, Trump said.
I suspect what this means is that the US will not be stopping arms sales to Saudi Arabia as some in the US are demanding, but will limit themselves to the already announced sanctions against the previously named Saudi officials.
The intelligence agencies' conclusion will bolster efforts in Congress to further punish the close U.S. ally for the killing. The administration this past week penalized 17 Saudi officials for their alleged role in the killing, but American lawmakers have called on the administration to curtail arms sales to Saudi Arabia or take other harsher punitive measures.
Meanwhile at a defence conference in Halifax, the Turkish defence minister said that the Saudis may have stuffed the hacked up bits of Khashoggi's body into their bags and carried them out through the airport, relying on their diplomatic passports to avoid security checks. This however seems to be speculation and not an official Turkish position on the subject.
On Saturday, while attending the Halifax International Security Forum, Turkey's defence minister said he believed the men suspected in Khashoggi's killing may have simply stuffed the writer's body parts into bags and carried them onto a flight out of Istanbul because their diplomatic passports allowed them to avoid security screening.

Five of them are apparently going to get their heads lopped off in expiation though.
Exactly as exiled Saudi prince predicted
“Saudis Will Find Scapegoat for Khashoggi Case”
The Saudis will find a scapegoat for the case of missing Saudi Journalist Jamal Khashoggi, Prince Khalid bin Farhan al-Saud lives as a dissident in exile in Germany said.
“The murder of Khashoggi and the way the story is circulating in the media has exposed the Saudi royal family in an unprecedented way. When a state kidnaps, kills and dismembers one of its citizens, what we are faced with is a mafia organization — not a legitimate government.”
Asked about US’ stance towards Saudi Arabia over Khashoggi case, Bin Farhan said: “The United States, like any other state that deals individually with Saudi Arabia, will continue to pursue its own interests. But if Congress were to impose sanctions on Riyadh, not even Donald Trump would be able to stop it.”
It is a very interesting remark.
Will US Congress (controlled now by the Democrats) impose any more or less serious sanctions? It is an open question.

Well basically Russia has been an enemy of the UK (and others) since about 1917 and to be honest Russia is a bloody nuisance and continues to be.
They have never been a friend of the UK and Russia continues this quaint tradition into the present day.
Conversely, the KSA has allied itself with the UK (and others but not Russia) and puts a lot of shekels into our economy.
I'm not saying I like it but that's the way it is.

It's called Realpolitik.

A number of news reports said it is routine in consulates in the Middle East for people to not be allowed to carry mobile phones in with them.
That's the policy for visitors to British Embassies and Consulates; it's a security thing - specifically stopping people getting images of staff, of security arrangements, etc - as well as the obvious recording facility.

Exactly as exiled Saudi prince predicted
“Saudis Will Find Scapegoat for Khashoggi Case”

It is a very interesting remark.
Will US Congress (controlled now by the Democrats) impose any more or less serious sanctions? It is an open question.
It may become a political football, dependent more upon US domestic politics than foreign policy concerns. I have no idea if the lower house of the US congress has the power to override the senate and president and do something like block arms sales.

However, they might make a show at trying while counting on not being successful. There has been an international campaign for some time now in a number of countries to stop arms sales to Saudi Arabia, with little success. The opposition party can make a show of appearing to do something while knowing that nothing would actually happen.

Overall, the US does not want to see the balance of power upset in the Persian Gulf. The major concern with Saudi Arabia revolves around one man - Mohamed bin Salman. He is seen as being behind the mismanagement of the disastrous war in Yemen, the blockade and aborted invasion of Qatar, and now the murder of Khashoggi and Saudi Arabia's resulting diplomatic isolation. He is seen as being erratic and reckless and possibly pushing for an all out war with Iran. His downfall from politics in Saudi Arabia would satisfy a great many of the concerns about Saudi Arabia.

The question then would be whether the social and economic reforms which bin Salman has put his name behind would go with him. That could store up other longer problems for the country, but those may be unavoidable anyway.

Despite the CIA leaks as to their opinion, the US government has not yet made a formal decision as to their position on the Khashoggi affair.
Trump administration denies reaching conclusion on Khashoggi killing | CBC News

Trump made his usual waffle about money and jobs.

I suspect what this means is that the US will not be stopping arms sales to Saudi Arabia as some in the US are demanding, but will limit themselves to the already announced sanctions against the previously named Saudi officials.

Meanwhile at a defence conference in Halifax, the Turkish defence minister said that the Saudis may have stuffed the hacked up bits of Khashoggi's body into their bags and carried them out through the airport, relying on their diplomatic passports to avoid security checks. This however seems to be speculation and not an official Turkish position on the subject.
The ineptness of this assassination is jaw-dropping. It's as is the Chuckle Brothers were tasked with it. But that would have been only two of them, Why, oh why didn't KSA pay some local gangster to arrange for him to disappear?

Having spent a bit of time in Embassies over the years, the quickest way to engender suspicion would have been to give the LEs the day off. "I say, you chaps, don't bother coming in tomorrow, we've decided to kill and cut up a journalist have a 'training day'. Oh, and could the cleaners come extra-early the day after next? Bring loads of bleach."