Saudi Journalist Disappears in Saudi Consulate in Turkey

Exposure to...or lack of, is indeed a very real factor in Saudi relations with the rest of the world. It has been a very insular and to an extent isolated society until comparatively recently. Initially by relative poverty and isolation, latterly hugely wealthy, by choice

I first went to Jeddah in 75 and was amazed by the insularity of Riyadh and other Saudi cities with the exception of Dhahran. This was explained by the fact that for Centuries Jeddah had been the main gateway for the Hajj, the largest global shift of people that occurs annually, and as such had a very eclectic mix of Saudi families who had initialy come from other countries, or Dahhran a seaport exposed to trade from the Indies.

The Bin-Ladins were intialy from Hydhramaut in Yemen, Mohammed, a prolific sire with nearly 60 children used to educate his children in batches sending them to various countries which gained them, as a family, insight into various different cultures and contacts. The Zahids who I worked for initialy from Persia did the same but educated the sons in various countries during their schooling so that each as an individual had exposure.

Other more ‘pure bred’, and less wealthy, did so less so the bulk of the population was for the most part traditionally Wahabi and fairly insulated from any external cultural influence. I saw huge changes in the over twenty years I spent there, both in their attitudes and in their own perceptions of how they stood vis a vi the rest of the world.

They are and I think will continue to be an important ally to the West but the relationship is a very delicate balancing act that requires some finesse in accommodating some radically different and sometimes diametrically opposed social attitudes and cultural values.

Is this Khashoggi related to the late Mr "Fixit Khashoggi", who had his fingers in many pies, Making $billions. notably the arms business? Obituary: Adnan Khashoggi, jet set's notorious 'Mr Fixit' of the global arms trade
Mentioned a couple of times already, but yes. Adnan was his Uncle and Dodi Fayed was his cousin:
https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/t...nsulate-in-turkey.286905/page-11#post-8850412
Jamal Khashoggi - Wikipedia
Adnan Khashoggi - Wikipedia
Who is Jamal Khashoggi?
Jamal Khashoggi is the nephew of Adnan Khashoggi, a Saudi businessman and arms dealer known for his part in the Iran-Contra scandal. Adnan Khashoggi was the middleman in the arms-for-hostages deal. In the 1980s, Adnan Khashoggi was estimated to have a net worth of $4 billion.

Jamal Khashoggi’s cousin, Dodi Fayed, was dating Britain’s Princess Diana when the two were killed in a car crash in Paris.

And the assault on the British Embassy in Teheran in 2011 (see my post above about HMA at the time). But these are very notable exceptions to the rule of inviolablity of diplomatic and consular missions. Hence why Julian A is outstaying his welcome in a certain embassy in London.
Thanks, @metocman, exactly so. And, why, having violated Diplomatic Protocol, Iran to this day has no Embassy in the USA. On 7 April 1980, Carter severed US diplomatic relations with Iran and they have remained so until today.
Always surprised me that there was no suspension in Irish British ties after the UK embassy was burnt out back in the early 70's. Seems like there was a definite decision to just build a new one without making too much of a fuss!

Perhaps due to the immediate reaction of the Irish government. The British government made a formal protest over the attack. The Irish government expressed regret, and confirmed that it would pay compensation for the damage

The US has no diplomatic ties with Iran, and N Korea. Bhutan is a third, however that is Bhutan’s choice as it has chosen to isolate itself. For a long time only having diplomatic relation with just two neighbouring countries India and Pakistan. It still has no diplomatic relations with any of the permanent members of the UN Security council.
Very minor point, of no relevance, but Bhutan's actually quite a long way from Pakistan which is on the other side of Nepal to the west. It's bordered by Tibet / China to the north and India to the west (Sikkim), south and east. I was in the same house at school with both the then Crown Prince and his brother the current Chogyal of Sikkim, and shared a room with Prince Shungden when the royal family were deposed and India annexed Sikkim, hence my interest. Bhutan actually has honorary consuls in both Washington and London and there's a British honorary consul in Thimpu.

Because everybody knows whodunnit except the Russians.
Seems to be a common denominator these days.
The incident with disappearance of mr.Khashoggi is profitable for Russia. It pushed oil prices higher and created problems in US-KSA relations. It could result in Russo-Saudi control over oil market. KSA could buy in the future Russian weapons, why not?
How it could look?
The fiancee is Russian agent
Khashoggi was captured and secretly detained before his visit to the consulate.
GRU agent with proper make-up entered the Consulate as mr.Khashoggi.
He removed the make up and left the consulate not being identified.

The incident with disappearance of mr.Khashoggi is profitable for Russia. It pushed oil prices higher and created problems in US-KSA relations. It could result in Russo-Saudi control over oil market. KSA could buy in the future Russian weapons, why not?
How it could look?
The fiancee is Russian agent
Khashoggi was captured and secretly detained before his visit to the consulate.
GRU agent with proper make-up entered the Consulate as mr.Khashoggi.
He removed the make up and left the consulate not being identified.
Shame 'The Comedians' isn't on telly any more.
You and your mates would go down a treat.

Based on the level of KGBs wibbling, have Kent police admitted responsibility yet?
The only surprising thing is that he hasn't tried to pin it on the Ukrainians yet. It'll come, I suppose.

And the assault on the British Embassy in Teheran in 2011 (see my post above about HMA at the time). But these are very notable exceptions to the rule of inviolablity of diplomatic and consular missions. Hence why Julian A is outstaying his welcome in a certain embassy in London.
V bad for non state LE staff I believe.

Shame 'The Comedians' isn't on telly any more.
You and your mates would go down a treat.
Oh... you have noted my irony. Though it was not too subtle.
Personally I don't defend the Saudis. I'm quite neutral in my views on this story. I defend common sense.
Pre-planned by Saudi authorities capture, torture and murder in the consulate? It is the most improbable version. Just imagine that mr.Khashoggi was not alone but with the fiancee or/and with members of his political 'party' - 2-3 members or even all 5 of them. And what? Kill them all? And note, all random visitors also had to be killed. Absurd. Such an operation in the consulate could be political suicide. And imagine that Turkish police stops and searches car or van with mutilated body. Only complete idiot would plan such an operation.

Last edited:
Oh... you have noted my irony. Though it was not too subtle.
Personally I don't defend the Saudis. I'm quite neutral in my views on this story. I defend common sense.
Pre-planned by Saudi authorities capture, torture and murder in the consulate? It is the most improbable version. Just imagine that mr.Khashoggi was not alone but with the fiancee or/and with members of his political 'party' - 2-3 members or even all 5 of them. And what? Kill them all? And note, all random visitors also had to be killed. Absurd. Such an operation in the consulate could be political suicide. And imagine that Turkish police stops and searched car or van with mutilated body. Only complete idiot would plan such an operation.
Ah, so it was Putin then....

The only surprising thing is that he hasn't tried to pin it on the Ukrainians yet. It'll come, I suppose.
Probably you mean IUkrainians. Many make typos in this word.