Saudi fighters are leading the surge in attacks on British

Will Bush now put pressure on the House of Saud? Me thinks not!

Foreign terrorists, led by fighters from Saudi Arabia, are behind an upsurge in attacks against British troops in Basra, military sources said yesterday.

As the Army suffered the highest number of fatal attacks in a month since the invasion of Iraq in 2003, commanders on the ground are concerned at the level of sophistication and ferocity of the assaults.

Their anxiety was underlined when the Ministry of Defence named two soldiers killed in the latest attacks that have claimed nine lives this month....

...The Saudi influence on terrorism in Shia-dominated Basra has not been previously reported but has caused concern among military commanders because of their training, technology and finance.

Although the majority of Saudi Arabians are Sunni, the minority Shia have taken part in terrorist attacks.

Des Browne, the Defence Secretary, admitted that a recent surge in violence was a cause of "major concern". Dozens of soldiers have been targeted by advanced "improvised explosive devices" (IED) that the Army has been unable to disable or jam.

Morale is also being affected by the continual danger, with older soldiers saying the apprehension is similar to that experienced on the streets of Northern Ireland in the 70s and early 80s.

"People are dying and morale is being affected by it," said an officer operating in Iraq.

"The perception is that attacks are becoming more lethal and better targeted and the delivery process is more effective. There is a definite sense that we are still making progress but because there is no real defence against IEDs people are feeling a bit glummer."
telegraph

First of all my sincere condolences. RIP lads.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...irq31.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/05/31/ixnews.html

The Saudi influence on terrorism in Shia-dominated Basra has not been previously reported but has caused concern among military commanders because of their training, technology and finance.

Although the majority of Saudi Arabians are Sunni, the minority Shia have taken part in terrorist attacks.
What is it? Suppositions, theories, fantasies or established facts? I don't see evidences. Was even one Saudi citizen captured in Basra? What is his name? Did he took part in terrirst attacks, in planting of IEDs?

Mr Happy

LE
Saudi Arabia is nearer to Basra than Baghdad so its logistically easier for them. There may also be a greater local feeling for them for the same reason - therefore easier to operate.

If it is true they can feck off! It just shows what a short memory they have. If it hadn't been for Desert Storm they may well have been citizens of an Iraqi state of Saud now & under Uncle Sadams boot.

Agent_Smith said:
Will Bush now put pressure on the House of Saud? Me thinks not!

Foreign terrorists, led by fighters from Saudi Arabia, are behind an upsurge in attacks against British troops in Basra, military sources said yesterday.

As the Army suffered the highest number of fatal attacks in a month since the invasion of Iraq in 2003, commanders on the ground are concerned at the level of sophistication and ferocity of the assaults.

Their anxiety was underlined when the Ministry of Defence named two soldiers killed in the latest attacks that have claimed nine lives this month....

...The Saudi influence on terrorism in Shia-dominated Basra has not been previously reported but has caused concern among military commanders because of their training, technology and finance.

Des Browne, the Defence Secretary, admitted that a recent surge in violence was a cause of "major concern". Dozens of soldiers have been targeted by advanced "improvised explosive devices" (IED) that the Army has been unable to disable or jam.

I don't know here these people get their information from. Delete Saudi Arabian insert Iranian

Morale is also being affected by the continual danger, with older soldiers saying the apprehension is similar to that experienced on the streets of Northern Ireland in the 70s and early 80s.

"People are dying and morale is being affected by it," said an officer operating in Iraq.

"The perception is that attacks are becoming more lethal and better targeted and the delivery process is more effective. There is a definite sense that we are still making progress but because there is no real defence against IEDs people are feeling a bit glummer."
telegraph

I dont understand where these people are getting their information from. Delete 'Saudi Arabian' insert 'Iranian'

Just out of casual interest....Constant reporting last year from locals ALWAYS blamed wahhibis. Try http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1486813/posts for part of an old article from Kuwait.

Wahhibis always refered to outsiders...99% of the population just want to get on with their lives, geta job, pay the bills, have water and Electricty all the tiom, sea Doctor, send their kids to school, which why most of the schools in the AOR had parents on guard a lot of the time!

Surely, it does not matter what the nationality is of those who seek to attack us.
'Targets fall when hit' Who cares if it is a fig 11 or some other sort of target?

OldRedCap said:
Surely, it does not matter what the nationality is of those who seek to attack us.
'Targets fall when hit' Who cares if it is a fig 11 or some other sort of target?
It helps if we know where they are coming from, as that allows us to interdict their communication and supply lines (catch them on tehri way in, and put pressure on their govt to control their borders), and to better predict who is likely to be planting the IED's.

hmmm, could be said that the wrong nation was invaded to get a regime change.............. just were did most of the 9/11 hijackers come from again??

exactly. certainly knew there were lots of saudi mujehadin in bosnia in 95, they even flew their flag (cheeky barstewards).

why is anyone even slightly surprised, or demanding to see evidence? involvement of saudi nationals being publicised might offend our "ally" saudi arabia. who don't have much oil or anything.

Does it matter what country the terrorists hail from? Their hateful religion is the common denominator. maybe the world would be a better place without these Islamic Fundasatanists, (Is Bin Ladin the Anti Christ?) I'm with Old red Cap.... hose them all down and let Beelzeebub sort them out!

No idea whether the story is true but no doubt that Saudis will be ever so more supportive of Western measures against Iran after finding out that the Iranians are sponsering Saudi citizens to commit acts of terrorism. Oh the irony!

Problem I have is that what I am about to say will open the door to those who suscribe to the 9/11 conspiracy theory that the whole thing was a put up job by GWB and his oil clique but here goes. There was overpowering proof that the dodgy pilots and air crew were in the main Saudi. The condemnation that came from that did not faze the Saudis. That is why I think Agent Smith has too simplistic a view. As for border controls, just what sort of troop levels are needed to ensure the country is watertight? As fast as we put troops into an isolated position, they attract 'freedom fighters' and it will all end up like Beau Geste.
If he is aggro - shoot him. Dead. Then get ready for the next one. In time the politicians will come to some rubbish compromise that lets the US get out 'with honour' and that will be the end of another sad episode. Vietnam. NI. Aden. Suez Canal. Cyprus.

DrStealth said:
hmmm, could be said that the wrong nation was invaded to get a regime change.............. just were did most of the 9/11 hijackers come from again??
Very true, but the does fact that the vast majority of IRA members were Irish, mean that it would have been OK to invade Eire?

Not in my books, but a sure enough excuse to put serious pressure on the Eire government to get their fingers out and do something about the terrorists in their midst.

Warrior_Poet said:
Does it matter what country the terrorists hail from? Their hateful religion is the common denominator. maybe the world would be a better place without these Islamic Fundasatanists, (Is Bin Ladin the Anti Christ?) I'm with Old red Cap.... hose them all down and let Beelzeebub sort them out!
Could be applied to 'Christianity' in Northern Ireland!

Would that excuse nuking the whole of the Island? Not in my book.

I have very strong doubts about the DT journalist in Basra, his recent report on the Lynx crash was utterly wrong in many critical areas.
I'd suggest that he has been talking to his "sources" such as they are (almost certainly JAM / Badr affiliates) and they in turn are seeking to pin the blame on 'foreigners'. Its a very Iraqi thing to do, if you look at the society it is fiercely tribal and blames anyone from outside the tribe as foreign (hence why we see so much hooha about 'Iranian Influence' - not because it exists, but because its easier to blame someone from outside your own area. The south does not have a 'sunni insurgency' and never will - the Sunni population is too small for it to be workable. In a society as fiercely tribal as Iraqs, outsiders from Saudi would be very quickly picked up.

My view is that this report is either a military wind up (and if it is then well done lads) or the reporter is doing some very poor journalism. Either way if any journos are reading this, then I'd suggest this is the time to start assassinating this idiots character (and lets face it, backstabbing is what Journo scum do best).

jim30 said:
I have very strong doubts about the DT journalist in Basra, his recent report on the Lynx crash was utterly wrong in many critical areas.
I'd suggest that he has been talking to his "sources" such as they are (almost certainly JAM / Badr affiliates) and they in turn are seeking to pin the blame on 'foreigners'. Its a very Iraqi thing to do, if you look at the society it is fiercely tribal and blames anyone from outside the tribe as foreign (hence why we see so much hooha about 'Iranian Influence' - not because it exists, but because its easier to blame someone from outside your own area. The south does not have a 'sunni insurgency' and never will - the Sunni population is too small for it to be workable. In a society as fiercely tribal as Iraqs, outsiders from Saudi would be very quickly picked up.

My view is that this report is either a military wind up (and if it is then well done lads) or the reporter is doing some very poor journalism. Either way if any journos are reading this, then I'd suggest this is the time to start assassinating this idiots character (and lets face it, backstabbing is what Journo scum do best).
The Saudi influence on terrorism in Shia-dominated Basra has not been previously reported but has caused concern among military commanders because of their training, technology and finance.
It's not some random source, this is coming from the guys at the top.

mora

War Hero
CRmeansCeilingReached said:
why is anyone even slightly surprised, or demanding to see evidence? involvement of saudi nationals being publicised might offend our "ally" saudi arabia. who don't have much oil or anything.
who trained them? who offered arms and instructors?

Britain's biggest customer is Saudi Arabia. The results of an investigation by the National Audit Office into the £20billion Al Yamamah (The Dove) deal between the Saudi princes and the British arms industry, believed to be the biggest in history, were suppressed first by the Tories and, since 1997, by Labour. The reason is that the report almost certainly describes "commissions" paid on the sale of Tornado fighters - £15million on one aircraft is said to have been the going rate.

Over a quarter of MoD arms sale unit works for Saudis

David Leigh and Rob Evans
Wednesday March 9, 2005
The Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/armstrade/story/0,10674,1433250,00.html

More than a quarter of the government's arms sales machine is dedicated to selling to a single regime, Saudi Arabia.
A Ministry of Defence publication circulated to defence firms and obtained by the Guardian shows the extent of Saudi dependence on Britain to run its air force.

According to the document, no fewer than 161 of the department's 600 officials work for the "Saudi Armed Forces Project".

Ministers will today address a closed annual conference of the Defence Export Services Organisation (Deso), the Whitehall department which sells British weapons round the world.

Outside the meeting a group of anti-arms sales protesters will gather.
They want Deso closed down, but have always been denied information about the secretive department's workings.

The team is headed by Air Vice-Marshal John Thompson, based in central London. He has a place on Deso's main board, headed by Alan Garwood, a former executive of Britain's biggest arms company, BAE.

Stationed on the ground in Riyadh are two senior military men, Air Commodore Ray Hodgson and Air Commodore John Chandler. They are the British team commander and logistics chief respectively.

The two RAF officers head a squad of 54 British officials who are permanently based in Saudi Arabia.

The files show that they are distributed between the capital, Riyadh, a navy base at Jubail, and three big Saudi air bases at Dhahran, Khamis and Tabuk.

These figures do not include the significant number of RAF air crew who are seconded to the Saudis to fly the Tornados and Hawks which Britain has sold to Riyadh under its longstanding Al Yamamah arms contract.

The Deso officials are there to supervise the training and technical support which keeps the Saudi air force flying. Their other task is to supervise the payments of £1bn a year which Saudi Arabia makes to BAE in return for spares and maintenance.

The Deso teams range from a small unit at Tabuk in the north, near Israel, with a squadron leader handling training and a warrant officer in charge of supply, to a large team in the capital, where Group Captain Nick Watson is in charge of flight operations and a civil servant, John Radcliffe, heads the finance department.

At Jubail, on the Gulf, a navy captain, Grenville Johnson, superintends the Saudi fleet of Vosper minehunters at the head of a naval team of eight.

A senior Deso official, Michael Salkeld, is also stationed at the British embassy in Riyadh to promote further arms sales.

A team of 81 officials work at Deso's headquarters, next to Centrepoint in London's West End, on behalf of Saudi Arabia, headed by the commercial director, Stephen Pollard, and the deputy director in charge of contracts, John Davis.

Deso officials are also stationed at air bases round the UK, organising training and back-up for the Saudis.

One team is based at RAF Wyton in Cambridgeshire, where the Tornado warplanes of the type purchased by the Saudis are maintained.

Others are at RAF Marham in Norfolk, RAF Stafford and the electronic warfare unit at RAF Waddington, in Lincolnshire.

The department also has a Saudi liaison team posted to BAE's factory at Samlesbury in Lancashire. The MoD says that all these British officials are paid for by the Saudi regime, who hand over an undisclosed fee to Whitehall in return for what is in effect, the hire of an entire air force.

Deso originally refused the Guardian's Freedom of Information request for an unexpurgated copy of its staff directory, which is supplied as a glossy brochure to all British arms firms.

However, we have subsequently obtained a leaked copy.

Deso says it seeks to conceal the identity of all its staff on the grounds that they could be intimidated. It also refused to divulge which government ministers will adress its annual symposium for arms manufacturers today.

Beccie D'Cunha, a spokeswoman for the Campaign Against the Arms Trade, said: "We are an intrinsically peaceful organisation - there is no question that we would ever attack or harass Deso staff."

She claimed: "Saudi Arabia is an autocratic, corrupt regime in an unstable area. The use of so many civil servants to promote arms to the Saudi regime is completely unethical."

"It's not some random source, this is coming from the guys at the top. "

No its not. The phrase 'senior military source' can mean anything from "private I spoke to who was I/C of his foxhole, so technically senior" to "general retired with no idea". I have seen several "senior military source" reports recently, and personally know the people who if the report had been accurate would have to have been quoted. Not once did this happen.

I say again, this report is utter garbage.

Latest Threads