Saudi bribes probe,Bliar"acted illegally"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Le_addeur_noir, Apr 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With the latest ruling from the High Court on this on-going saga,will Blair face criminal charges for halting the probe into British Aerospace and the alleged kickbacks over the Eurofighter order(reportedly now under threat, again)?.

Nice to see Bliar up before the beak!.Some chance,though.

This story is currently on the business section of the BBC website.

As all my previous efforts to provide a link to this site have been a failure in the past,I won't even try this time.

2. LAN - to post link to site right click on the Address bar at top of screen, click 'copy', bring up your posting window on arrse, curser over page, right click again, click 'paste'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7339231.stm

3. Good to see the Judges of the UK preventing terrorist scum from being deported and doing their best to alienate the Saudies, probably cause a loss of UK jobs (if the deal were to go tits) and pass a good deal over to the french who will be quite happy to give kickbacks (generaly how trade in the middle east is carried out).

Oh well the sooner the teachers of this wierd country take the helm the better!

4. Good to see the Judges of the UK preventing terrorist scum from being deported and doing their best to alienate the Saudies, probably cause a loss of UK jobs (if the deal were to go tits) and pass a good deal over to the french who will be quite happy to give kickbacks (generaly how trade in the middle east is carried out).

Oh well the sooner the teachers of this wierd country take the helm the better!

5. How is the law the fault of Judges? They apply them, not make them.
    If Blair wasn't such a devious snake that thinks laws should apply to everyone but him, the issue would never have arisen.

6. DrStealth,

Thanks for that.

It will be interesting to see where this 'Saudi kickbacks probe'goes from here.

I guess a load of guff about British jobs being put at risk by British Aerospace,while at the same time the same BAe are in talks to transfer the Hawk production line to India,which if this happens will result in the loss of British jobs.

Another aspect to this is that our 'friends' across the Pond will be watching and could possibly apply for extradition of anyone implicated in bribing the Saudis in British Aerospace.

7. Did the "bribes" not happen a long time ago?

8. good grief! investigating corruption in hi-tech arms sales to an unelected despotic autocracy?
    sorry, at what point is this non-ethical corruption again?

and more to the point, SO WHAT!
    thats the way they have allways done business, the biggest back hander gets the contract, standard practice in all totalitarian states and most of the poor democratic ones too.
    'yes mr saudi prince of cource your son may go to eaton/you have a nice new estate/fleet of mercs/another deposit in that swiss bank ect ect'
    they got billions to spend and if we dont grab a share by these means then the next nation with the biggest bribe will get the sale and the economy here misses out and thousands lose thier jobs.
    they will buy planes off the one who gives the biggest bung, they allways have. they allways will.
    and i'll rather they have our planes that we can turn off the supply of parts if 'politics change'.

its not right, but its reality, and it has to be delt with in a manner that benefits all, and the UK mostly.

the world isnt black and white, its a dirty gray.

rant off.

9. Not defending Blair, but since when was He in the Serious Fraud Squad?

To quote the Beeb

. . . . . "The High Court has ruled that the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) acted unlawfully"

The thinking behind the judgement is, apparently, that Blair could have said what He wanted, the Serious Fraud Office should have ignored Him and carried on regardless.

Blair was wrong, morally and ethically, to try and influence the SFO but did not act illegally.

10. DO kep up old boy...

The Serious Fraud Office is an independent government department that investigates and prosecutes serious or complex fraud. It is part of the UK criminal justice system.

The Office is headed by the Director who is appointed by and accountable to the Attorney General. The Attorney General is appointed by the Prime Minister.

Both the Prime Minister and Attorney General at the time are guilty of so, so many things... but mostly of being gutless toadies to a bunch of wealthy ragheads hiding behind 'national defence'!

11. All we need now is for ''Bliar of The Yard'' to investigate!!!

12. The current question though must surely be, are the SFO getting investigated for expenses fraud, and hence the diversion?

I'm all for good business and all that, and hell a good dose of ethics never really hurt anyone, but is this worth it?

Has the defence industry and through that our industrial base as a whole, and through that our nations defence benefited by this liason in any shape or fashion? If the answer is a simple yes, then i'd suggest that someone needs to look at winding someone's neck in.

On the other hand, I'm all for making the Saudi's wind their necks in too, thinking they can act the nanny goat over it.

If we can't get a win-win on this, then we should just Nuke Mecca... or is that a bit extreme? I forget. Perhaps I need a couple of race horses, some tall skinny white women, and a rolls royce before I can figure it out??

13. Oh for Gods sake can't we just slap a few Public Interest Immunity orders on this thing and call it a day? I'm getting bored of it all now.

14. Yeah, yeah. An 'outspoken' judge believing the judiciary is the only thing that matters. At the overall expense of the country.

Why reopen another expensive SFO investigation that will take years, damage relations with our few allies in the Middle East, and conclude nothing?

Relations with Middle East is a huge grey area of morals. Blair was right to put pressure for this to be quashed. I hope Brown has the b-lls to do the same.

15. How could Brown stop judges of the High Court ruling on this? I take it you also want to get rid of the doctrine of the separation of powers and let the government take over the Justice systme too?