Saudi Aramco Refinery Attacked by Drones

Saudis are still sticking to the "it came from the west" thing, but they have produced a big pile of wreckage and put some numbers on it:

All the hits on Abqaiq were supposedly "drones", a total of 18, while the parallel attack on Khurais consisted of 7 "cruise missiles" of which 3 hit and 4 dropped short. The wreckage pile includes at least one Quds-1, one ? Quds-1 or Soumar/Kh-55 variant, and a delta-winged UAV, identified as this one:

The Saudis are a third world country who happened to win the lottery by sitting on a large reserve of oil. Lottery prizes don't come with wisdom or character attached to them, and as I pointed out above, Saudi society isn't set up to generate those qualities from within.
Kinda like the U.S green card lottery...

Some AD analysis

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Interestingly the chatter on social media from Iranian bots is the US kit is shit and you should buy Russian.

Follow the money. If the US is pulled in to a war with Iran who profits? Would you be better off with US or Russian kit? US didn't help you this time, and look, they can't be relied on. Syria needed help and we were there.

Of this wicked web of deceit.

I am fascinated by the idea of not export version, but "IKEA version" kit, or really "cookbook cruise missiles" - we'll work up and test the design, but you put it together from the amazing variety of stuff you can just buy in commerce. There is some interesting twitterology about this but sources are too flaky even for me. that said, need a very fuel efficient little Wankel engine for your drone?

The nutters were right, it turns out. Here's Fabian Hinz from ACW on twitter with photos of Hassan Rouhani inspecting a display with that engine in it:

Poppycock

Swinger
Can someone give this a reality check please?

al_masdar_news said:
BEIRUT, LEBANON – The Houthi/Ansarallah Movement announced on Friday that they are halting their missiles strikes on Saudi Arabia after the Gulf kingdom offered them a peace deal.

According to the Houthi Movement, the Saudi Coalition offered to halt their airstrikes over Yemen in exchange for the halting of all Houthi missile strikes.
I can see the PR / propaganda value of the Houthis saying "we won't attack you again if you stop attacking us", but adding that Saud OFFERED them a peace deal just takes it in to the realms of the fantastical

I can't add a link but Al-Masdar News posted the quote above with a link to their report on their twitter feed

I can see the PR / propaganda value of the Houthis saying "we won't attack you again if you stop attacking us", but adding that Saud OFFERED them a peace deal just takes it in to the realms of the fantastical

I can't add a link but Al-Masdar News posted the quote above with a link to their report on their twitter feed
Says the Saudi’s have not responded:
“I call on all parties from different sides of the war to engage seriously in genuine negotiations that can lead to a comprehensive national reconciliation that does not exclude anyone,” said Mashat.

The Saudi-led military coalition did not immediately respond to request for comment on the Houthi announcement.

——-

Mashat said that the Houthis “would not hesitate to launch a period of great pain” if their call for peace was ignored

The quoted article says two different things. One is that the Saudis offered a peace deal, and the other is that they offered a narrowly defined cease fire.

There have been peace negotiations going on for quite some time, and there have been a variety of cease fires offered as well. It's easy to spin any of these talks as being whatever someone wants to present them as, indeed it is routine to do so.

However, it should also be kept in mind that it was previously reported that part of the reason that the UAE was pulling troops out of Yemen was in order to re-orient their defence towards dealing with a potential threat from Iran.

It is conceivable that Saudi Arabia wants a cease fire in Yemen, or at least a temporary one, in order to prepare for war with Iran, or at least to threaten Iran with war.

So we must remember to look at reports such is this in context with other events in the region before attempting to interpret them.

Last edited:

Poppycock

Swinger
The quoted article says two different things. One is that the Saudis offered a peace deal, and the other is that they offered a narrowly defined cease fire.

There have been peace negotiations going on for quite some time, and there have been a variety of cease fires offered as well. It's easy to spin any of these talks as being whatever someone wants to present them as, indeed it is routine to do so.

However, it should also be kept in mind that it was previously reported that part of the reason that the UAE was pulling troops out of Yemen was in order to re-orient their defence towards dealing with a potential threat from Iran.

It is conceivable that Saudi Arabia wants a cease fire in Yemen, or at least a temporary one, in order to prepare for war with Iran, or at least to threaten Iran with war.

So we must remember to look at reports such is this in context with other events in the region before attempting to interpret them.
Cheers, that makes sense and has reminded me not to read the gutter press (especially on a Friday). I did get a 'reality check' to my post last night when it was reported the Sauds were bombing al Hodeidah port!

Do you have any insight on the UAE backed Southern Transitional Council in Aden and their clashes with the Saudi aligned Islah party (I think I've got that right)? And who is AQ & Daesh most closely aligned to there?

I had speculated that rather than withdrawing their forces from Yemen to prepare/protect against Iranian threats, UAE had withdrawn to give the STC a free reign in ops against Saudi aligned forces. My reasoning is it appears the coalition has failed to reinstall Hadi and so the UAE wanted to ensure forces they were allied to will control Aden and perhaps lead to a North/South split again.

Londo

LE
Saudis are still sticking to the "it came from the west" thing, but they have produced a big pile of wreckage and put some numbers on it:

All the hits on Abqaiq were supposedly "drones", a total of 18, while the parallel attack on Khurais consisted of 7 "cruise missiles" of which 3 hit and 4 dropped short. The wreckage pile includes at least one Quds-1, one ? Quds-1 or Soumar/Kh-55 variant, and a delta-winged UAV, identified as this one:

Has anyone blamed the wicked Jews yet ?
Apart from Corbyn that is .

Hope it all calms down, i am off out there next week!

In your Aston?
God no. Although the price of fuel over there would be worth it. Nope Emirates business with a cheeky stopover in Dubai. Actually going to Aramco for a conference.

Cheers, that makes sense and has reminded me not to read the gutter press (especially on a Friday). I did get a 'reality check' to my post last night when it was reported the Sauds were bombing al Hodeidah port!

Do you have any insight on the UAE backed Southern Transitional Council in Aden and their clashes with the Saudi aligned Islah party (I think I've got that right)? And who is AQ & Daesh most closely aligned to there?

I had speculated that rather than withdrawing their forces from Yemen to prepare/protect against Iranian threats, UAE had withdrawn to give the STC a free reign in ops against Saudi aligned forces. My reasoning is it appears the coalition has failed to reinstall Hadi and so the UAE wanted to ensure forces they were allied to will control Aden and perhaps lead to a North/South split again.
There's an entire thread on Yemen which might have more information. It's nor particularly active though, as neither western governments nor the western press take as much interest in what happens in Yemen as they do elsewhere in the Middle East.

God no. Although the price of fuel over there would be worth it. Nope Emirates business with a cheeky stopover in Dubai. Actually going to Aramco for a conference.
I really don't like Dubai airport - feels like one huge shopping mall on a giant scale with maniac lines and security. I do however take refuge in one of those Irish pubs they have there for a bit of peace while transitioning...forget which one (s).