Saudi Aramco Refinery Attacked by Drones

From what I am seeing, and I certainly agree, there is VERY little support for the US getting involved militarily in this or any other situation in islamic countries. I think and fervently hope we are finally waking up to the reality that military, and I would strongly argue all foreign aid, to islamic nations is wholly wasted at best and turned against us or our true allies like the UK at worst.
The Saudis and friends picked this fight and they are kidding themselves, anyone in the west wants to die for that region any longer.

Some salient points on division of AD responsibility

Fire all of your guns at once
And explode into space

Who came up with the original idea to start selling these bloodthirsty savages technology ?

They shouldn't be trusted with anything deadlier than a pool- ball in a sock

Attachments

And explode into space

Who came up with the original idea to start selling these bloodthirsty savages technology ?

Zodiac Mindwarp?

Normally two sets of medieval islamic lame brains knocking lumps out of each other is grist to My mill. But if Johnnie persian has upset the price of Texas T,Black Gold.He may have pushed a little too hard. I suspect Jed Clampett will not be happy,and Granny may be getting Her Kentucky Long Rifle out. Pass the popcorn.. ;)

1568672555066.png

Nearly twenty years old, but still pertinent imo. You’ve also seen the ‘orders’ given by SAA to their troops:

The biggest problem appears to be training ie do what you would do in training when engaged in ‘warfighting’ (within reason) and a lot of ‘knowledge is power’ ie seniors keep information to themselves.
There's also the bog standard thing that a lot of them don't want to be there.

And explode into space

Born to be wild eh?
Me? nah

Born to be mild.

Its these very small TT islander types you have to watch out for

Thank you for that post and the link. It is very interesting that another technology gap is, if not being closed, narrowing. Iran will likely be willing to sell the Al-Quds and it gives a capability hitherto only enjoyed by the West and major powers. And, it is a conventional technology. Iran need not focus on nuclear (though I am sure it is) if it can deliver a useful warhead to a distant (in ME) target. The technology cannot be usefully subject to sanctions as Iran seems already to possess it.
It's the democratization of precision innit? In the same way as the Pals' rockets now tend to hit things, and they have ATGWs for shooting at tanks, the Houthis have a precision strike capability into the strategic rear. We can't assume this is a unique advantage any more.

OTOH there's blithering Saudi incompetence too: apparently the responsibility for air defence is split between the RSAF, the National Guard, and the Ministry of the Interior (but only for oil fields). I can just see @Magic_Mushroom twitching. I think those map onto three different big shot princes (the defence minister, the NG chief, and the interior minister) which is presumably why they came up with that command structure?

Nearly twenty years old, but still pertinent imo. You’ve also seen the ‘orders’ given by SAA to their troops:

The biggest problem appears to be training ie do what you would do in training when engaged in ‘warfighting’ (within reason) and a lot of ‘knowledge is power’ ie seniors keep information to themselves.
Possible thread drift, but it could turn out to be relevant if this situation hots up:

As the article is 20 years old, has the author written a new one based on the Iraq/Afghanistan experience entitled "Why Western Armies Lose Wars"?

Possible thread drift, but it could turn out to be relevant if this situation hots up:

As the article is 20 years old, has the author written a new one based on the Iraq/Afghanistan experience entitled "Why Western Armies Lose Wars"?
He did some follow up stuff, last article 2008?

Might be a bit old now?

The Saudis are saying that production should be back to normal by the end of September.
Saudi Arabia's new energy minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman said Tuesday that his country's oil market will be fully back online by the end of September.

Speaking at a press conference in Jeddah Tuesday, Prince Abdulaziz said production would be at 9.890 million barrels per day in October. He also said that 50 per cent of the production cut resulting from a recent drone attack has already been restored.
However, some of that may be due to the Saudis turning on spare capacity elsewhere, as they are apparently offering some customers alternative grades of crude oil.
Some Asian refineries are expected to receive their allocated volumes for October, while other importers are being told of delays or being offered alternative grades.

Interesting Twitter thread with imagery:
Saudi SHORAD around the site included a Crotale SAM site and 5x Skyguard AAA sites but only 2 or 3 of the Skyguard revetments were actually occupied. A final approach from the west looks like the best option even if they were all operational (only 1 site bears in that direction and it's not clear what if anything was in it - from the north, northwest, or due south there would be mutual support).

This may mean that the whole "the hit was on the western side, therefore it's whoever" thing is nonsense; anyone planning the attack would have chosen that side. The deployment is not surprisingly oriented towards Iran and this side is the rear, also the geometry of the site is favourable.

Latest Threads