Saudi Aramco Refinery Attacked by Drones

A colleague of mine got booted off Al Yamamah and back to blighty because he refused to give a lazy arab a good end of year review. Idiot, we only went there for the tax free wages, nurses and 2 years away to get a deposit for a house, who gives a shit if they are lazy!
And if they did their job, you might not be needed.....

Some Damage assessment images.
The right-hand one is very interesting, almost the same small hit on 4 sites
E2A: dang-nabbit, beaten to it..
Found the place on Google and those 8 tanks / vessels, the impact points are all on the north eastern side, the attacks must have come from Egypt.

If those vessels are so important in making fuel, why did they not go up like piper alpha? Just 8 pinpoint holes in the same orientation, with this being the third world, I think the rebels just launched rocks from Trebuchets from just outside the compound and scattered a few drone parts around the desert.

And if they did their job, you might not be needed.....
That is true, it serves two three purposes, one for the young single men to get a house deposit, two to rattle a load of caged up nurses, three for the divorced 50 somethings to try and get some retirement money back their grabbing ex wives took from them for working so hard to keep her in the nicer things in life!

Mostly agree, yes fracking has been around for a long time, its used in all types of wells including water wells. Yes, the Department of Energy has worked with company to cut through much.
What is really different is the exploitation of unconventional reserves using these old concepts (fracking) with new tech (directional/horizontal drilling, proppants, 4D seismic, fracking rigs) on a scale and mass not seen for decades. (for those keen for the same in Lancashire, sorry unlikely to happen)

The level of activity, the new areas opened up and the change to the energy infrastructure is huge.

Shales in the Bakken, Marcellus and Eagle Ford started lifting off 2005-2007, which given the lead in time for credible companies or start ups to get together, budget, plan, procure and start the operations doesn't match a period when reticence about the blood & treasure cost was really high. Its successes were exploited by the next administration, though the change in focus to AFG may have screwed that up

The political and import/export bits are quite interesting, as though under Obama it leapt, one side effect of unconventional gas is overturning local democrat incumbents!

IIRC when it kicked off, only one 18 LNG import terminals was set up for export as well. Certainly imports have dropped as exports have risen and I think is even getting competitive with KSA now.

Where the US sits though is challenging; use domestic production to keep energy costs down or export to compete against the world. Trying to do both seems par for the course!
The US also imports 4.4 million barrels of oil per day from Canada (June 2019 figures). The next largest sources after that are Saudi Arabia and Mexico, the two being virtually tied at roughly 0.578 and 0.571 million barrels per day respectively. Total US imports from countries other than Canada amounts to as much again, but they come from a diversity of sources.

Here's a table showing official US figures for oil imports for 2019. Note that the numbers are in terms of barrels per month, not barrels per day, so you may have to do a bit of math if you want more familiar average daily figures. Some of the countries listed as being import sources are actually just transshipment points, which may alter the numbers for certain actual ultimate sources somewhat. That also is the reason that some countries which don't actually produce any oil are on the list.

These are gross rather than net figures, so US oil exports are not taken into account in them. So for example the US imports oil from Canada, but Canada also imports oil from the US (far less, obviously), which may then get refined and re-exported back to the US. Or Canada will import petroleum distillate from the US, use it to dilute bitumen (heavy oil produced from tar sands) which is then sent to the US. The diluent may then be extracted from the bitumen and sent back again for another round trip.

This may begin to give you an idea about the complexity of the oil market. It's not as simple as just going straight from oil well to refinery and then into your car. A disruption in one part of the world can have global side effects. The US is part of a global market, so a disruption in supplies from the Persian Gulf will hit Americans right in the pocket book through higher prices just like it will in the UK.

Found the place on Google and those 8 tanks / vessels, the impact points are all on the north eastern side, the attacks must have come from Egypt.

If those vessels are so important in making fuel, why did they not go up like piper alpha? Just 8 pinpoint holes in the same orientation, with this being the third world, I think the rebels just launched rocks from Trebuchets from just outside the compound and scattered a few drone parts around the desert.
"These blast points... too accurate for Sand People. Only Iranian Storm troopers are so precise", is what the senior US official was wanting to say.

This news story includes a description of the type of facility which was damaged.
The area struck in Abqaiq was the "stabilization" processing equipment and storage tanks. This removes hydrogen sulphide from the oil, as well as some of the more volatile parts of the oil itself in order to make it safe for shipment by tanker. "Sour" crude has sulphur in it, while "sweet" crude is low sulphur.

Five out of the total of ten stabilization towers appear to be damaged and will have to be rebuilt. This will apparently take "many months", so capacity will be restricted for a period of months.
The U.S. satellite photos appear to show the attack on Abqaiq may have struck the most-sensitive part of the facility, its stabilization area. The Washington-based Center for Strategic and International Studies has said the area includes "storage tanks and processing and compressor trains — which greatly increases the likelihood of a strike successfully disrupting or destroying its operations."

Stabilization means processing so-called sour crude oil into sweet crude. That allows it to be transported it onto transshipment points on the Persian Gulf and the Red Sea, or to refineries for local production.

The attack "damaged five to seven spheroids and five out of ten stabilization towers," said Fernando Ferreira, the director of geopolitical risk at the Washington-based Rapidan Energy Group.

Five "or so stabilization towers appear to be destroyed and will have to be rebuilt — this will take many months," Ferreira said. "The sophisticated attack now seems likely to reduce Abqaiq's 7 (million barrels of crude oil a day) capacity for an indefinite period" measured in months.

Saudi Aramco did not respond to questions from The Associated Press regarding damage at Abqaiq and the satellite images.

Mike Barton

War Hero
Reading the usual, shall we say "right-of-centre", websites it's notable how lacking in gung-ho-ness is the average punter these days. Long gone are the days of "bomb the bastards" and it's more a sense of if the Persian Shia and Arab Sunnis want to knock seven shades of shite out of each other let them have at it, the more martyrs the better, just let me stock up on popcorn first.

The big fear seems to be that our friends in Jerusalem (or Riyadh, ah but I repeat myself) might somehow persuade DJT that he has to get involved, even the most ardent Trumpite is hoping he doesn't fall for that nonsense.

5 out of 10 stabilisation towers hit. How amusing would it be if the Iranians whoever it was who did the first attack, had another go in a day or two to get the other 5.

It would be tragic to hear those lovely, kind people, AKA the Saudis howling about that. Tragic I tells ya.

5 out of 10 stabilisation towers hit. How amusing would it be if the Iranians whoever it was who did the first attack, had another go in a day or two to get the other 5.

It would be tragic to hear those lovely, kind people, AKA the Saudis howling about that. Tragic I tells ya.
It may not be a great idea if you are a driver ;-).
Good idea otherwise.

Arms Control Wonk has a stab at identifying the missile tail recovered from the desert:

It is not the Iranian copy of the Kh-55, but it's similar, and they tentatively classify it with a group of rockets and missiles that have been observed in Yemen but nowhere else. Not clear if this is the "export model" of the Iranian one or something more strange (designed for DIY production from commercial bits and pieces?)

Reading the usual, shall we say "right-of-centre", websites it's notable how lacking in gung-ho-ness is the average punter these days. Long gone are the days of "bomb the bastards" and it's more a sense of if the Persian Shia and Arab Sunnis want to knock seven shades of shite out of each other let them have at it, the more martyrs the better, just let me stock up on popcorn first.

The big fear seems to be that our friends in Jerusalem (or Riyadh, ah but I repeat myself) might somehow persuade DJT that he has to get involved, even the most ardent Trumpite is hoping he doesn't fall for that nonsense.
From what I am seeing, and I certainly agree, there is VERY little support for the US getting involved militarily in this or any other situation in islamic countries. I think and fervently hope we are finally waking up to the reality that military, and I would strongly argue all foreign aid, to islamic nations is wholly wasted at best and turned against us or our true allies like the UK at worst.

Odd its never mentioned in biographies since post war he worked for Harry Truman and CBS
Read another one - most have had the embarrassing facts airbrushed away.

Prescott Bush was a director of Dresser Industries for 22 year which amongst its defence related activities was also in the oil business. In other news; prior to US involvement in WW2 Prescott Bush helped the Nazis with oil and tooling. Before WW2 he made friends with several influential German business people and helped them to disappear their money when the allies were looking for reparations. When he was a senator he made his trips to Saudi.

George H W Bush 'worked' for Dresser starting his own independent oil business. Funnily that seemed to run at a loss and always attracted millions of $ in investment. The area the company operated in, the money it appeared to make even though it was running at a loss and some pretty substantial rumours at the time indicate he was allowing it to be used as a CIA front.

Before the Bush's became the Bush's there was George H Walker, who is the Grandfather of George H W Bush (whome he is named after). Mr Walker was already in the oil industry too as a big money man and helped kick start the Soviet oil industry after the Bolshevik revolution.........in return for certain privileges from the Sov's which included oil and minerals. If you look back at the beginnings of the industrial military complex as we know it now you will see the names of Bush and Walker, both of whom were involved in the production of armaments from incendiary bombs to components for the nuclear bombs dropped on the Japanese.

The book is not available off the shelf in the UK due to better lible laws in the UK. You can get it mail order or read vast portions of it online.

And this one:=====> George Bush<br>The Unauthorized Biography<br><span style=''font-size:75%;''>by Webster G. Tarpley<br>and Anton Chaitkin</span>

Last edited:
Read another one - most have had the embarrassing facts airbrushed away.

Prescott Bush was a director of Dresser Industries for 22 year which amongst its defence related activities was also in the oil business. In other news prior to US involvement in WW2 Prescott Bush helped the Nazis with oil and tooling. Before WW2 he made friends with several influential German business people and helped them to disappear their money when the allies were looking for reparations. When he was a senator he made his trips to Saudi.

George H W Bush 'worked' for Dresser starting his own independent oil business. Funnily that seemed to run at a loss and always attracted millions of $ in investment. The area the company operated in, the money it appeared to make even though it was running at a loss and some pretty substantial rumours at the time indicate it he was allowing it to be used as a CIA front.

Before the Bush's became the Bush's there was George H Walker, who is the Grandfather of George H W Bush (whome he is named after). Mr Walker was already in the oil industry too as a big money man and helped kick start the Soviet oil industry after the Bolshevik revolution.........in return for certain privileges from the Sov's which included oil and minerals. If you look back at the beginnings of the industrial military complex as we know it now you will see the names of Bush and Walker, both of whom were involved in the production of armaments from incendiary bombs to components to the nuclear bombs dropped on the Japanese.

The book is not available off the shelf in the UK due to better lible laws in the UK. You can get it mail order or read vast portions of it online.
Reminiscent of the Kennedy Dynasty.

Arms Control Wonk has a stab at identifying the missile tail recovered from the desert:

It is not the Iranian copy of the Kh-55, but it's similar, and they tentatively classify it with a group of rockets and missiles that have been observed in Yemen but nowhere else. Not clear if this is the "export model" of the Iranian one or something more strange (designed for DIY production from commercial bits and pieces?)
Thank you for that post and the link. It is very interesting that another technology gap is, if not being closed, narrowing. Iran will likely be willing to sell the Al-Quds and it gives a capability hitherto only enjoyed by the West and major powers. And, it is a conventional technology. Iran need not focus on nuclear (though I am sure it is) if it can deliver a useful warhead to a distant (in ME) target. The technology cannot be usefully subject to sanctions as Iran seems already to possess it.

Last edited:
Reminiscent of the Kennedy Dynasty.
They ( the Bush family) were at it well before old man Kennedy smuggled his first keg of rum from Cuba to the mainland. I remember reading that somewhere along the line old man Kennedy and old man Bush crossed paths with investments and interests too.

Getting into politics was simply their way of making sure that the wheels were greased and that they were always pointed in the right direction to roll towards opportunity when it arose.

Last edited:
Saudi Aramco Refinery Attacked by Drones

For several years it has been reported that bee numbers were falling, now we know why.

Latest Threads