Saudi Aramco Refinery Attacked by Drones

I think the title says it all.

I did a search and could find no other thread on the subject.

It is a spillover from the Yemen conflict the Iranian backed Houthi's have launched what appears to be a successful drone attack on the largest oil refinery in the world. I have been wondering how long it would take for them to take the war to the Saudis and hurt them at home.

I saw this on the news and thought that it was somewhat bold and decisive an attack given the nature of the Houthi war. I was also wondering what type of drones we are talking about.

It is a spillover from the Yemen conflict the Iranian backed Houthi's have launched what appears to be a successful drone attack on the largest oil refinery in the world. I have been wondering how long it would take for them to take the war to the Saudis and hurt them at home.

Posted it under Tanker attacks as potentially related to Iran (Houti rebels seem to be allies of theirs)
https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/tanker-attacks-gulf-of-oman.293230/page-96#post-9516289

Bear in mind that the Houtis are de facto proxies of Iran. They were giving the Saudis on the border a hard time for quite a while before the Saudis started bombing them.

Bear in mind that the Houtis are de facto proxies of Iran. They were giving the Saudis on the border a hard time before the Saudis started bombing them.
And the hit to the Oil Prices will suit the Iranians nicely as a hit on the Western world

Does make you wonder if we are approaching a point where the West has to do something meaninful and decisive about the Iranian meddling in the region. Given the effect it having.

Does make you wonder if we are approaching a point where the West has to do something meaninful and decisive about the Iranian meddling in the region. Given the effect it having.
Everyone in the ME is meddling in the region to a greater or lesser extent. Iran and the KSA may be gradually heading towards a direct war and, imho, it would be great not to be drawn in.

Drone (SUAV) is becoming legislated here in the UK. If this sort of thing continues I can see the Government citing model flying clubs as possible terrorist organisations :-(

Everyone in the ME is meddling in the region to a greater or lesser extent. Iran and the KSA may be gradually heading towards a direct war and, imho, it would be great not to be drawn in.

Sooner or later, this is going to be a huge fukc up..... the idiots in the ME should have been given a stern talking to a long time ago.

Yokel

LE
The question is what will the Saudis do in response? It is hard to feel much sympathy towards the regime given the effects of their actions in Yemen.

Ian525

We are not talking about the 'drones' you see local idiots flying, but something that looks and lies like a mini cruise missile.

Drone (SUAV) is becoming legislated here in the UK. If this sort of thing continues I can see the Government citing model flying clubs as possible terrorist organisations :-(
Very regrettably the situation is indeed worrying - one of the drone threats currently being surveyed is the use of drones for delivering poisonous gas via building airconditioning systems.

Last edited:
The question is what will the Saudis do in response? It is hard to feel much sympathy towards the regime given the effects of their actions in Yemen.

Ian525

We are not talking about the 'drones' you see local idiots flying, but something that looks and lies like a mini cruise missile.
I fly commercial drone and radio control planes - I've seen the reports and pictures on the Middle East drones,, I know they are large rear engined radio control planes modelled on military drones. - however, do not underestimate the potential of a cheap idiots drone.

Sooner or later, this is going to be a huge fukc up..... the idiots in the ME should have been given a stern talking to a long time ago.
No chance. Great Granddad Bush was responsible for and brokered most of the original oil deals in the region. Now it appears Trump is on snogging terms with the Haus von Saud to expand his business empire ensure regional stability.

Take a wild guess as to whose side the US would come down on and whom they would expect their allies to help.

Best just to build a big fence around the place, let them kill each other off and then go in.........just like coppers attending a pub fight.

Yes, because things have always gone so swimmingly when the West gets involved in the Middle East. How could we resist?

I fly commercial drone and radio control planes - I've seen the reports and pictures on the Middle East drones,, I know they are large rear engined radio control planes modelled on military drones. - however, do not underestimate the potential of a cheap idiots drone.
You just need to look at what is happening in Israel to see the effects of cheap drones. If it is large enough to carry a kilo of bang it can be an effective weapon.