Saudi Arabia's new defences - Maginot revisited?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I came across this in the Telegraph - it seems a bit static for the threat they're facing and it does depend on Jordan and Kuwait holding their bits of the line.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...audi-Arabias-Great-Wall-to-keep-out-Isil.html

My feeling is that they would be better off dedicating their resources to containing the threat away from their borders rather than creating a massive target that is inherently hopelessly defensive.

A large defensive structure that stretches across the entire border, requiring an ally to complete their bit of the wall otherwise the hostile power can simply go around it.

Is it me or does ominously familiar to perhaps a mid 30s idea.

ACAB

LE
Amazing. Funding from Wahhabist nut jobs in the Kingdom got ISIS going and now the ISIS nutjobs present a threat to the Kingdom.

Lomax

War Hero
I don't think this is all being done to stop people from getting into Saudi Arabia, my guess would be it is to protect their oil infrastructure. Almost all their oil is in the eastern quarter of their country, so it is safe to assume this is primarily being done mainly to protect just the pipelines to Yanbu al bahr (the bits of oil outside the eastern quarter are right in the middle of the empty quarter and a long trek to reach), reading up on it there are three pipelines, one with 5 million barrels a day capacity, another for 290,000 barrels a day natural gas liquid and another closed and unknown.

That is a lot of ground to protect and a lot of their refining capacity that would be knocked offline by a successful attack, they probably are just as keen to protect the border to the north as to the south from attack (since the pipelines follow the border closely, and dissidents attacking it from the south is a risk).

Edit : And yes, its ironic that they are now trying to protect themselves from the very people they armed!

Amazing. Funding from Wahhabist nut jobs in the Kingdom got ISIS going and now the ISIS nutjobs present a threat to the Kingdom.
Qatari private citizens are considered to be the biggest donators of seed money and then IS/Al Nusra etc become self supporting. The Saudi govt has tried to stop private citizens giving cash and their own is going to FSA. They have funded Wahhabi mosques throughout the world mind.

The border defence is more of a trip wire to let them get helicopter and fast air into the right area.

alib

LE
A wall very conspicuously implemented long after the US military getting pounded in al Anbar by easily identified human ordinance pleaded with the KSA to seal their borders. State has remained as nervously tight lipped about that as they did with a slightly more brazen Pindi.

KSA citizens, once cheered on by the Saudi ulema in a glorious mass casualty jihad against Shia marketplaces, remain the largest demographic involved in suicide attacks in Iraq. According to polls most Muslims still find that utterly appalling.

A desert Maginot line will not stop IS. That last infiltration had facilitators on the others side. They are sniffing at chaotic Yemen and hoping to cede sectarian strife in the Magic Kingdom. What goes around comes around.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
hoping to cede sectarian strife in the Magic Kingdom

Mickey vs Donald?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
A wall very conspicuously implemented long after the US military getting pounded in al Anbar by easily identified human ordinance pleaded with the KSA to seal their borders. State has remained as nervously tight lipped about that as they did with a slightly more brazen Pindi.

KSA citizens, once cheered on by the Saudi ulema in a glorious mass casualty jihad against Shia marketplaces, remain the largest demographic involved in suicide attacks in Iraq. According to polls most Muslims still find that utterly appalling.

A desert Maginot line will not stop IS. That last infiltration had facilitators on the others side. They are sniffing at chaotic Yemen and hoping to cede sectarian strife in the Magic Kingdom. What goes around comes around.

(My bold) I tend to agree with you and for just that reason. I can't imagine the circumstances under which IS would launch a conventional assault

A desert Maginot line will not stop IS. That last infiltration had facilitators on the others side.
The border suicide bomber was an Al-Shammari:

http://www.aawsat.net/2015/01/article55340370

The Al-Shammari tribe are interesting in regards to the politics of KSA, their leader Mikhlif particularly so:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/15/w...ostly-bid-for-sunni-shiite-equality.html?_r=0

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/witch-hunt-cyber-activists-saudi-arabia-condemned-310771927

I wonder if the bomber was connected to Mikhlif and if KSA thought he was atoning. They pay good bucks to those who return and condemn AQ.

alib

LE
The border suicide bomber was an Al-Shammari:

http://www.aawsat.net/2015/01/article55340370

The Al-Shammari tribe are interesting in regards to the politics of KSA, their leader Mikhlif particularly so:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/15/w...ostly-bid-for-sunni-shiite-equality.html?_r=0

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/witch-hunt-cyber-activists-saudi-arabia-condemned-310771927

I wonder if the bomber was connected to Mikhlif and if KSA thought he was atoning. They pay good bucks to those who return and condemn AQ.
From that NYT article, it's a classic:
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia — Mikhlif Al-Shammari has been jailed repeatedly, declared an infidel, ruined financially and shot four times — by his own son — all for this: He believes his fellow Sunni Muslims should treat Shiites as equals.

In a Middle East torn by deepening sectarian hatred, that is a very unusual conviction. He has made it a kind of crusade for eight years now, visiting and praying with prominent Shiites and defending them in print, at enormous personal cost. The government of this deeply conservative kingdom continues to file new accusations against him, under charges like “annoying other people” and “consorting with dissidents.”
My bold, Saudi judgements! Worth reading in full, a Je Suis Al-Shammari campaign would be an idea.

BarcelonaAnalPark

LE
Book Reviewer
I watched a video yesterday of a Philipino woman being publicly beheaded by the Saudi security forces for witchcraft, or something, whilst civilian onlookers filmed her on their mobile phones whilst she was screaming and being beheaded. Similar stuff comes out of Syria and Iraq all the time.

This fence, as others have mentioned, isn't just keeping IS out, that same mentality already exists there. It'll just prevent more nutters from leaving so that they'll be more likely to conduct ops in the Kingdom.

I wonder how this will impact on the nomadic groups, tribes and families that have existed long before these borders were created.

Mattb

LE
To be fair, the Maginot line worked perfectly - the Germans decided not to attack it.

It was the assumption that they wouldn't attack the bits that WEREN'T the Maginot line that were the problem.

Talking out of my bum, via a mobile telephone.

Last edited:

Sounds almost as ridiculous as the CIA employing Bin Laden....... :cool:

From that NYT article, it's a classic:
My bold, Saudi judgements! Worth reading in full, a Je Suis Al-Shammari campaign would be an idea.
Aye, it's reminiscent of 'wearing a loud shirt in a built up area' - They're old opponents of the Al-Saud's and are powerful in Iraq as well - members of SAWA. If you read about them they're fairly multi faith having converted from Christianity just before the death of the Prophet.

We tend to forget how complex the tribal relationships are, the geographical areas that they cover can be vast. One of the first things I was asked was my tribal name and the clan position - as I have a Scots surname I was able to give a comprehensive answer that satisfied the questioner. I didn't realise until later how important your tribal loyalty is.

Latest Threads