Saudi Arabia Uncovered?

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is...

• A close friend of Britain and we must support to the hilt.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • No nastier than many Middle East regimes,nothing to see here.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • A far away land,of which we know little

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Holiday destination of choice.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • A medieval source of global Wahabbism we should have nothing to do with.

Votes: 112 81.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I used the Search function and came across a single post thread on Raif Baddawi

Shock Horror!! Alibhai-Brown writes sensible article

- and for the record I loathe Ms Alibi-Braun and all her dubious works.

In 2016, ITV screened a 2 part documentary called Saudi Arabia Uncovered

Saudi Arabia Uncovered: ITV series exposes brutal regime

It's worth a watch. Available on TubeYoo via this LINK

Whilst I'm sure little of this is news to most on here, it would appear that Raif Baddawi is the tip of a grimy,nasty iceberg.

Those with longer memories will recall the brief awkwardness raised by the Death of A Princess back in the 80s.

As a former Sales sort, I am well aware of how critical Al Yamamah was and remains to UKplc.

But ........

At some point,not least in the light of Brexit and Britain's more outward looking stance, we should take a cool and dispassionate look at our relationship with the Kingdom.

I won't hold my breath but would be interested hear some more printable views.

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Amazing what comes fluttering to the surface when you have even a casual dig about.

The UK signed an international undertaking a few years ago agreeing to remove what the excitable Fourth Estate call cluster bombs.

( folks hereabouts might be a bit more familiar with the munition designated BL755, as used by the Royal Air Force in Gulf War I + II )

If I recall, the issue was the failure rate of bomblets,leaving large areas littered with unexploded ordnance ,a magnet for incautious civvies,especially kids.

The "Casting Shadow" thing came, I think, from the post Falkland clearup..

The BL755 bomblets were a bit fierce.. Biggles 'n Ginge dropping them below arming height didn't help either.. a long groove in the peat with a half peeled carcass and bomblets alles uber der platz in varying states of arming... (in the middle of an Argie minefield if you were really lucky!)

As someone pointed out, you could set them off by changing your mind too quickly...

Turns out the thrifty Sauds have been using them in Yemen.

The FCO, after a bit of arm twisting by the Information Commissioner has now confided that...
""ah....um...yerss,we knew all about it..water under the bridge,nothing to see here,we are where we are.."

Saudi Arabia admits it used UK-made cluster bombs in Yemen

Fandabidozee.......

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
You should've had the option of "an ideal nuclear testing ground".

I'd have voted for that.
Hee... Why bother irradiating more square bits of perfectly good sand when our good friends the French and the friends of our Best Buddy the Israelis have already done such a bang-up job? :)

Morocco and the Negev respectively ,allegedly?

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
You mean the Saudis used weapons we sold them when they (the Saudis) were fighting someone.

I mean, really. Who would have thought:roll:?
Yes,the little devils.....the arms control issue is not the main point of the documentary.

Did you watch?

As I say, as someone who has travelled a little in the region it is worth a view.

If you have worked in Dhahran or Jeddah then none of this will come as a terrible shock.

Just as the Yanks have - belatedly - recognised that Guantanamo is Not A Good Thing , I suspect in time us Brits may wonder what the hell we were thinking of in some of our dealings with The Kingdom.

Last edited:
Yes,the little devils.....the arms control issue is not the main point of the documentary.

Did you watch?

As I say, as someone who has travelled a little in the region it is worth a view.

If you have worked in Dhahran or Jeddah then none of this will come as a terrible shock.

Just as the Yanks have - belatedly - recognised that Guantanamo is Not A Good Thing , I suspect in time us Brits may wonder what the hell we were thinking of in some of our dealings with The Kingdom.

@Bad CO - any chance you could adjust the poll to get rid of my child-like errors please? Much obliged.
No I didn't watch as I can't as am in abroadland. If you are telling that the Saudis are a rich, nasty bunch of Wahabbi supporting 21st century individuals, living in 17th century houses with a 7th century outlook on life - I knew that already. They are as scummy as most ME countries with the added advantage they are sitting on top of valuable strategic reserves.

There is of course an answer to this but the methodology of Julius Caesar is not allowed these days. So the strategic reserve bit will have to be dealt with by other means. Perfect the situation isn't.

"A place I have been to and will never visit again" would be my choice.

Hee... Why bother irradiating more square bits of perfectly good sand when our good friends the French and the friends of our Best Buddy the Israelis have already done such a bang-up job? :)

Morocco and the Negev respectively ,allegedly?

My bold Morocco? I lived there for almost 6 years and heard nothing about France irradiating any part of it.
The Saudi's on the other hand, thanks to their massive oil wealth, have been exporting their brand of extreme Islam all over the world for the last 50 or so years, training & sending Imams & "scholars" to brainwash, building & funding Mosques, Madrassas, Islamic centers etc. and of course covertly funding anti secular groups all over the MENA leading to things like the so called "Arab Spring" and the conflicts in Syria and Libya.
They use their country as the origin of the barbaric religion with its most important site Mecca, which all Muslims must try to visit on the Haj at least once in their lifetime to further brainwash, which because of its totally inflexible dogma is never going to change unless this extreme fundamentalism is eradicated.

which because of its totally inflexible dogma is never going to change unless this extreme fundamentalism is eradicated.

Until they run out of oil, when they will sell their ass to the highest bidder and revert back to a third world shite hole overnight as all the "workers" will go back their native countries.

Until they run out of oil, when they will sell their ass to the highest bidder and revert back to a third world shite hole overnight as all the "workers" will go back their native countries.

Or they might start trying to to what they did in the 7th & 8th C's trying to use force to spread their twisted beliefs. or perhaps thats what a lot of the funding has already been doing laying the foundations of the new Caliphate

I suspect the British will put up with them so long as it financially worth doing so.

Amazing what comes fluttering to the surface when you have even a casual dig about.

The UK signed an international undertaking a few years ago agreeing to remove what the excitable Fourth Estate call cluster bombs.

( folks hereabouts might be a bit more familiar with the munition designated BL755, as used by the Royal Air Force in Gulf War I + II )

If I recall, the issue was the failure rate of bomblets,leaving large areas littered with unexploded ordnance ,a magnet for incautious civvies,especially kids.

Turns out the thrifty Sauds have been using them in Yemen.

The FCO, after a bit of arm twisting by the Information Commissioner has now confided that...
""ah....um...yerss,we knew all about it..water under the bridge,nothing to see here,we are where we are.."

Saudi Arabia admits it used UK-made cluster bombs in Yemen

Fandabidozee.......
There are plenty of things to have a pop at the Saudis for. Using perfectly legal weaponry we sold them isn't one of them though.

Last edited:
Saudis use weapons they legally purchased and as non signatories to cluster munitions convention can legally employ shocker...

My choice was No nastier than many Middle East regimes, nothing to see here.

but my preferred one would have been
A medieval shithole of backward thinking paedophiles and woman haters as many Middle Eastern regimes, nothing to see here.

Lets hope thats sooner than later. The sooner these backward nations run out of oil the better the world will be.

Yup. Whilst inwardly knowing full well that the Sauds are shitheads.
Few people care, there are lots of nasty regimes in the world that we trade with.

The whole money thing is largely a moot point now. They used to have enough to cream off a huge portion to the ruling 'family' whilst at the same time buying off a population with benefits and non-jobs.
Unfortunately they also bred like rabbits and now there are too many people to buy off and little Ahmed is headed for a 'MacJob' whilst his dad is getting a large pay cut whilst seeing huge tax rises.
Their youth also have the internet and know very well just what is going on in the world and can see that half of what they have been told about the decadence of non-muslims is largely rubbish and whilst the arab world is busy butchering each other in the name of a long dead fraudster, the rest of the planet are busy curing diseases, putting men and women into space, making art, music and literature, they have (almost) none of that.
They can also see decadence far more locally as well as whose pockets the oil money is still headed.
It's a slow motion car crash and thankfully we are behind the armco, up the bank, watching on.