Saudi Arabia focus of terrorist funding report, but Home Office may not publish report due to...

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
That applies to diplomats. Other Qatari citizens have 15 days to be out. With the severing of airlinks effective tomorrow, how these people get out remains to be seen.
By camel?

Bet they are regretting that contract today. :)
Keeping in mind that this could all be a clever ploy to raise the price of oil for a while, they might be chuffed as feck as they can sell off at more than they paid. I know that it needs to come out but that's an aside.

Don't think it is a clever ploy, old feud in modern guise and Qatar has been pissing off the UAE/KSA.

You can reach me by caravan
Cross the desert like an Arab man
I don't care how you get here
Just get here if you can
You can reach me by sailboat
Climb a tree and swing rope to rope
Take a sled and slide down the slope
Into these arms of mine
You can jump on a speedy colt
Cross the border in a blaze of hope
I don't care how you get here
Just get here if you can

This is just amazing, a $1bn ransom paid by the Qatar royal family to Iran and AQ affiliate after the capture of a falconary party in southern Iraq. As the article says maybe the straw that broke the Toyota Hilux's back.

Subscribe to read
Apologies for the subscription link but I manage to get the article through Francis Elliott (@elliotttimes) | Twitter
Great find, here is a non subscription breakdown of the FT article:

The Shocking Trigger Behind Today's Gulf Scandal: Qatar Paid Al-Qaeda, Iran $1BN In Hostage Deal | Zero Hedge

"around $700m was paid both to Iranian figures and the regional Shia militias they support, according to regional government officials. They added that $200m to $300m went to Islamist groups in Syria, most of that to Tahrir al-Sham, a group with links to al-Qaeda."
The ransom was for:
the release of 26 members of a Qatari hunting party in southern Iraq and about 50 militants captured by jihadis in Syria."
The latter who had been fighting against Assad.

It seems that this gambit has been used quite often over the past few years as a pretext to funnel hundreds of millions to the worst of the worst.

All ISIS has to do is to 'kidnap' Ahmed the Qatari's platoon who are fighting for them anyway and spring another months operational capital for the whole Caliphate. Wow.
“The Qataris pay anyone and everyone, to what end? They have only brought about our ruin,” said a Syrian rebel commander, who gave details about the payments but asked not to be identified.
And
And while Qatar has now been scapegoated for funding Al-Qaeda and ISIS, something most have known for years, a question emerges: does this mean that Saudi Arabia - another chronic supporter of terrorism in the region and around the globe - is now off the hook?
It also seems that KSA (no doubt with US approval) may now move to annex Qatar and topple the ruling Family, this would give KSA control over the Worlds largest operational gas reserve and seriously help its dangerously depleted income stream given the ongoing low oil price. Wow

I am sure that KSA will have to spread a lot of grease around Washington, London, Paris etc. to make this outcome acceptable to all who count. Which brings us back to the original problem.

And back on subject

Are Saudi-Funded Mosques Really A Problem In The UK?

It is estimated that Saudi spending on religious causes abroad are between $2bn [£960m] and $3bn per year since 1975 (comparing favourably with what was the annual Soviet propaganda budget of $1bn during the cold war), which has been spent on 1,500 mosques, 210 Islamic centres and dozens of Muslim academies and schools.

It is no exaggeration then to say that these mosques are little more than propaganda factories producing Wahhabi ideologues to populate the streets of Britain.
Are Saudi-Funded Mosques Really A Problem In The UK? | HuffPost UK

Great find, here is a non subscription breakdown of the FT article:

The Shocking Trigger Behind Today's Gulf Scandal: Qatar Paid Al-Qaeda, Iran $1BN In Hostage Deal | Zero Hedge

The ransom was for:

The latter who had been fighting against Assad.

It seems that this gambit has been used quite often over the past few years as a pretext to funnel hundreds of millions to the worst of the worst.

All ISIS has to do is to 'kidnap' Ahmed the Qatari's platoon who are fighting for them anyway and spring another months operational capital for the whole Caliphate. Wow.

And

It also seems that KSA (no doubt with US approval) may now move to annex Qatar and topple the ruling Family, this would give KSA control over the Worlds largest operational gas reserve and seriously help its dangerously depleted income stream given the ongoing low oil price. Wow

I am sure that KSA will have to spread a lot of grease around Washington, London, Paris etc. to make this outcome acceptable to all who count. Which brings us back to the original problem.
You're all over the place there. Nothing new in this, go to the Syria/Iraq threads where I reported on it ages ago. The gambit of kidnapping for ransom is as old as the hills. The kidnappers were Iraqi Shia militia, acting as Iranian proxies, not ISIS.

Qatari jet sits on tarmac in Baghdad as royal hostages await release

The HTS link was an Iranian payment to them in order to release Shia villagers. HTS subsequently denied any involvement in that deal. They would wouldn't they?

I know that "Iran funds AQ" in block capitals doesn't have quite the same impact but it's much closer to the truth.

Strange. There was a lady of QT the other week claiming that the Saudis don't fund UK Mosques anymore.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Really? Well in that case no need for this thread, phew, stand easy.

This reports non appearance has been widely reported and obviously after recent events its subject matter is extremely pertinent to our National security.

Are the Saudis and to a lesser extent the Qataris the root cause of Islamic radicalisation and terror attacks in the UK, as a great many British Muslims believe? It has been known for decades that the Saudis have been pumping billions into the spread of Wahhabism throughout the World, crushing all forms of moderate and tolerant Islamic practice, the kind that we in the West were mostly used to and could accept.

The issue for me is that at what point does not wanting to offend the Saudis and protecting the various Saudi largeness swilling around the Great and the Good in Westminster and the City of London, be eclipsed by the fundamental need to protect our people and culture?

Will recent events in Manchester, London Bridge and Westminster mean that this report is finally finished and published? If not then I would take it as a strong indicator that things shall remain the same.

Home Office refuses to publish terrorist funding report amid claims it focuses on Saudi Arabia

Aligning with Iran Necessary to Combat Sunni Extremism
I found this article by an ex-spook interesting. He's asking people to take a different view on aligning with Iran.

I see that Trump is now claiming credit for isolating Qatar. The man is a pin-pulled hand grenade.

Chatting to some Muslim Friends today - the opinion was expressed that the Wahibbist Preachers should be strung up from Lamp posts and Saudi Arabia bombed into the stone age**.

I felt it might be a little harsh - but the counter opinion was that this particularly vile sect is very prominent ( if not by name by activity) and as such seen as being representative of Islam*.

* My wording They did not wish you even acknowledge they were Muslim - To paraphrase they say Islamicist and Islamic Terror etc but Wahibbi aren't Islam

**Yes I know ordinarily its Back to, but culturally at least I'm not convinced the Saudis are this side of it.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I see that Trump is now claiming credit for isolating Qatar. The man is a pin-pulled hand grenade.
Well, Trump visits Saudi and suddenly the Gulf states are prepared to sanction Qatar, so that may not be far off the truth, given that the US essentially guarantees Qatari security.

Not quite sure how the Saudis are claiming the moral high ground and everyone else is keeping a straight face, but perhaps the US policy is one terrorist funder at a time. In any event, it's more than Obama managed in eight years.

Again, this is old stuff but magnified because it's about suppressing freedom, expect Kuwait to intervene and mediate.

Talking about embarrassing, who apart from Qatar is in the frame for being slack on the funding of Jihad with poor banking governance? To get a proper idea of where the bigger picture is and where it goes when Qatar has been suitably chastised, everyone's kissed and made up and the Arab Spring has been truly buried take alook at this and its implications.

It has never been disclosed why airplanes were allowed to pick up certain undisclosed rich and powerful people from the rich Arab states when all other commercial and non-essential military flights were grounded in the days immediatly following 9/11 in the US and depart the country.

It always amazes me that while the rest of us will have to queue up and remove our belts, shoes etc. When going through airport security checks. while the likes of the Bin Laden family would simply fly in on their private jets, in small airports and be met on the tarmac by their limos, with no checks at all. A fact that we would no doubt still be blissfully unaware of were it not for the fact that Osama Bin Laden’s mother and sister had not creamed in on Blackbush airport runway.

Latest Threads