Saudi airstrikes against Yemeni rebels

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by HectortheInspector, Nov 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Unsurprising the two have been waging war by proxy for some time; the Saudis do not trust those pesky Shia Iranians one jot and vice versa, this is just them vying for regional dominance, all the more important now that Iraq is not the buffer it used to be. A Shia usurption of her southern neighbour would put Saudi in an awful quandry and no mistake. Though it's rare for them to get stuck in officially as it were, a lot of their pilots were trained by our lot under the Al-Yammamah deals, used to see a lot of ex-crabs knocking about Riyadh, probably using Tornados for the job. any moreinfo?

2. Shock horror!!!

They have planes???

O sorry, I forgot a Grob Tutor counts as a plane :twisted:

3. Well, the Yemenis have a standard Cold War Soviet fleet of MiG 29s, 21s and Su22. The Saudis have Tornados, F15s and so on.

The rebels might have a paper dart or two.

4. Since when could arab states like Saudi afford tornados and F-15s?

Guessing its something to do with oil?

5. rampant

6. Royal Saudi Air Force
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudi_Air_Force

Also the Eurofighter Typhoon.

As to the oil... You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment. (With thanks to F Urquhart)

7. rampant

Hey hector who's doing the muezzin around here you or me? :wink:

8. Yemen's border with Saudi Arabia is actually undefined as it straddles the Rab Al Khali desert (The Empty Quarter). I have led a few expeditions in Rab Al Khali and it is very unhospitable terrain. North Yemen & South Yemen were only united as a 'new' country in 1990 about 6 months before Iraq invaded Kuwait. The old South Yemen used to have the Port of Aden which was a very big British Garrison until we withdrew in the late 1960's. North Yemen has always been a troublesome area. USS Cole was attacked by AQ in Aden killing 20 odd sailors ten years ago. The Yemen is a very poor country with over 50% of the country existing on less than £2 a day. The capital in Sana'a & the Government have been under pressure from western governments for the last 20yrs to try and quell the troublesome North East area. My guess is that RSAF Tornadoes were used. To the east of Yemen is the Oman who patrol the border and don't trust their neighbours. I have no doubt that British & American Int was supplied in the mission planning in order to keep Sana'a & Riyadh onside.

9. They are supposed to have quite a few Pakistani ex-AF....or at least they did.

10. That had to be a WAH!!! 8O

11. Hate to get into a fight with them then!!! :D

12. WAH?????