Saturn V moon rocket engines salvaged

Discussion in 'The Science Forum' started by maguire, Mar 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

in parallel to the 'were the moon landings faked' thread, the Amazon owner has been spending his pocket money recovering the F1 rocket engines from the Atlantic - Amazon boss salvages Apollo engines from watery grave ? The Register

'The 18.5ft by 12.2ft rockets are the most powerful ever built and formed the first stage of the Saturn launch system. Each of the five engines fired for just 165 seconds but lifted the rocket 67 miles up into the atmosphere before detaching and falling back into the sea.'
  2. Mags, have you ever been to the Kennedy Space Centre?

They have - what I believe (I should google) - a large mock up of the Saturn V suspended from the ceiling in the main visitor centre right above your head when you walk in. It is absolutely amazing to see. You walk along the length of the rocket and you can see the split stages with the various bits and pieces. At the end is a command module. Tight bastards won't let you sit in it, though.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. I remember reading somewhere that all the plans for the Apollo rockets, modules etc were destroyed in the 1970's or 80's as they weren't thought important ........ probably something for the idiots who believe it never happened to grab onto.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Typical NASA, a proper bunch of cowboys.
  5. Is there an error here? From what I've looked up, the first stage separated while going upwards at 5000mph. Presuming that the engines would still be attached to a large empy cylinder, wouldn't the impact velocity be more like 100-200mph, depending on how fast it was tumbling?
  6. It's The Register. You are unlikely to get an accurate article in there.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Probably my favourite part of the tour there. I've got my own toy Saturn V rocket in the house that breaks into the various stages. I'm sure it says 3 and up.
  8. If they can be proved to come from Apollo 11 they could be worth far more than has been spent salvaging them. But there don't seem to be any complete serial numbers on them and I think that the US government are still the owners of them even though they left them to rot in the sea.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  9. But who on earth(no pun intended) would buy them?
  10. I think it was more a case of why spend money on recovering them. Maybe the technology wasn't up to it and as they weren't re-usable ...... Everything left to rot by any Govt is still their property be it wrecks in the sea to crashed aircraft.

And I'm not sure what value they have to be honest. Do you mean cash value or intrinsic/historical value ? You imply cash value as you make a comparison against the cost of the expedition to find to find and recover them. It's like these nutters who dig old bits of aircraft out of the ground and dribble from their manly parts over a bit of corroded aluminium. Leaves me cold. Better things to spend money and effort on. Where do you draw the line on what has and has not historical value ? The shit i had yesterday has unique historical value but no-one - not even me - wants to see that in a museum. Not even in a thousand years ! :)
  11. Believe it or not there are collectors of Space memorabilia who would pay good money for anything to do with the Space program, even if they couldn't afford or display the complete article they would settle for any identifiable component from a flown mission such as a fuel pump.
  12. I liked wandering around the rocket garden.

The dad of one of the elederly bus drivers at my nippers school in Florida was recruited as an engineer in the late 50's to go work in NASA as a precision machinist/lathe op/metal worker back before they started subbing all the work out. The driver had a collection of internal NASA launch memorabilia that his dad had collected over the years - his pension plan he called it, but the old bugger would never part with it.
  13. No matter how pissed off I am, no matter how disillusioned I get with people or society no matter how old I will ever get. Whenever I see a story regarding the Apollo missions, or the build up, I just sit there like an 8yr old kid in awe.

Every pic makes me think 'wow', every story is 'cool', I would swap anything and everything for a few minutes of viewing the Earth as it crests the horizon of the moon in real time from the moon.

Nobody is, or ever will be luckier in life than the few who get to be an astronaut.
    • Like Like x 2