Sat Nav

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by snips450, Apr 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ello,

Looking to update my Satnav as my old TomTom is on it's last legs.Been looking at a Tomtom 740Live or a Garmin Nuvi 765T.Reasons being that you can use a mobile through the speakers via bluetooth and a FM Freq,also they both provide live traffic reports and avoidance.

Has anyone used these units and what do you think?????
  2. I have a Garmin with live traffic & bluetooth speaker - not sure what number though.

Having had use of a Tom-Tom, the Garmin beats it hands down for the navigation aspect.

The FM linking the bluetooth is a bit hit and miss if you do a lot of travelling - took me ages to get a channel I could use all the time. I ended up somewhere near 90.3 - which is close to Radio 3 in some areas.

The traffic update can also be hit and miss - as good as the information that gets fed into it. Was travelling to Doncaster from Ipswich and noticed traffic slowing ahead - the sat nav immediately pulled up a 20 minute delay and pulled me off the dual carriageway 200 metres ahead. Other times, it can be warning me of traffic hold ups and nothing transpires. If you use it as an aide and not an absolute guide, it's very good.
  3. I do around 45-50k a year so mapping (espech around london and birmingham or manchester) has to be on the ball,I have found with TomTom that it try's to take me down bus lanes or makes me do right turns at lights that aren't allowed!

The main thing I'm hoping to do is use the Bluetooth handsfree function for my phone,is this any good and does it come through the car speakers?
    Is the Mic any good? as I'm using a Transporter van so Background noise could be an issue.

4. The FM connection between the Garmin and your radio is to enable your phone conversation to come through your car/van speakers. So only going to be as good as your car system is.

I've used many ear based bluetooth or screen mounted speakers and this is by far the best, good quality both ways.

One piece of advice if you do go for the Garmin; check on-line to see what version maps are out there and demand an upgrade to the latest version - took me a couple of emails, but worth it with so many major roads changing (A1 etc).
  5. i have the Tom Tom "rider" very good on foot as well as bike, a bit "clunky" but it does the job ..£359:00 when i got it...
  7. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I've used both Tom Tom and the Nuvi, while theres nothing wrong with the Nuvi, I found I preferred the layout more on the Tom Tom. When using the FM bit I've found taking the antenna off reduces the interference problems from radio stations. I'm sure either one will suit your needs.
  8. oh, you wont want to know about a not so well known brand called Becker. Currently on sale at GPSplus (bar stewards), got various models out, i've got the Z200 which has worked flawlessly all over Europe in cities (even the twisted country that is Ireland) ;) - The Z100 Croc (i think) which is splash proof so good for bikes or the Z201. they use iGo8, and have free TMC Pro and an auto traffic station thing (bit like RDS EON) so you don't have to worry about changing them youself. You even get some funky new POI software to add on now as well (includes speed cams and stuff). Picture is very clear/crisp
  9. I think where Tomtom continues to win out is in its 'Home' PC/Mac interface - very simple to use and makes it a very easy to update the software, maps etc. The latest version allows you to plan out a route on a proper map on the computer. Having used a Sony Navu product, it beats it hands down.