SASS smocks virses Arktis smocks

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by HENDO, Aug 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From what iv seen these are both very expensive im looking at investing in a decent smock which will last what are the pro's and con's of these two makers ?

I like the idea of the water proff drop liner in the arktis but the SASS smock does have a larger carrying capacity

2. Yher thats a fair bit cheaper than the other two also seem to have a little more carrying capacity than the Arktis ones.

3. There's a thread on here about them. From memory the title was something like 'Gucci Smock'. I would search for but I'm off home now. Good hunting.

HS12 :D

4. Still got a SASS Kit Karry Smock i bought back in 1989 and apart from a few rips and scuffs it is still serviceable. Thats what i call value for money.

5. untallguy

untallguy Old-Salt Reviewer Book Reviewer

I've used a SASS Kit Karry smock these last 6 or 7 years. It's a good hard-wearing smock that carries a lot of kit (if you need to). It's dealt with everything I've thrown at it - be it Sennybridge in winter, FIBUA (on ex and course), wiring, living under bashas, living out of vehicles etc etc - with only a few faded patches and scuffs.

Only problems I've had with it is that it can be a bit slow to dry (but stays windproof whilst wet) and when tabbing in it, you get hot a bit faster than everybody else.

Aside from that, it's a good bit of kit.

Can't comment on the Arktis jackets as I've never used one although a few mates have been very impressed with them when they've used them.

All-in-all, it's one of those things that come down to personal opinion. My preference is SASS but only because that's what I've used all this time.

6. Got my SASS smock pre combat 95. It's still good. The lightweight ripstop material and quality of make was what made it a must have compared to jacket combat dpm detachable pocket, jacket combat dpm triple weight and smock windproof dpm rippable.

To be honest if you get the right size the ripstop Cbt 95 jackets are pretty decent, the ripstop trousers (if you were in the right brigade to be issued them) are good as well.

couple of guys on PCD were involved in the trials of Cbt 95, and the trial stuff was fantastic- made us hope in the future to only spend our beer tokens as they were intended to be spent. Shame they outsourced the final production work to romania.....

7. I have the MK2 modified, came from the back of a lorry, some other blokes have got the MK1's and wish tak ethey had MK2.

8. If you phone both companies and discuss what you want, you will probably decide that SASS is the better option. They are for more in tune with what a serviceman/reservist or a CFAV needs from a smock. They will also alter and combine many usefull features from a range of there smock patterns. The one I have is bit of a hybrid of kit carry and force 8 features. I liked it so much I bought another one in black for use as a winter civvie coat. Give them all your measurements honestly accurately and generously, and you will get a very good comfy fit, that will shape to you and wear in well.

Arktis just dont work that flexibly, and are the same sort of price anyway. Arktis also make clothes for the civvy sporting/police/hunting/EMS/journalist market. SASS concentrates on the military market

9. Mk 2 is great!!!! I have one too. They look so like the issue one too that you don't stand out.

Cool in the summer (they have mesh lining) and full of little things to help such as the wired hood.

SASS and Arktis are good from what mates say, but they are more expensive.

10. Hello,

I have tried both Smocks, I like the SASS one the best, Do Not buy a smock with a waterproof dropliner, They are no good in warm weather or for Physical activity, they do not breathe like they say they do. the Staff at Infantry Battle School in Brecon Trialled them, and said they were useless for the reasons I have said.

I Now have a Mk2 SF smock, that I will use this winter, and an ordinary SAS Windproof, bought New on Ebay for £40, it is not a copy, these dry well and are light weight, and good in warm weather, or when running around Sennybridge etc,

I also use an Ordinary SASS Ripstop Windproof that cost £120, which is very good, I was going to buy a Kit Carry Smock but was told that when wearing webbing the lower pockets would be useless anyway, so opted for two large inside pockets on the ordinary smock which are very useful.

I would recommend that you look on Ebay, the New Issue windproof smocks are always for sale and can be had for £40 - £50, But Make sure you buy an Issue one which has an NSN on the Label, the copies are not made from the right Material.

You could always then take it to a Tailor and get extra pockets added if that is what you want and still save some money.

If you are infantry then your smock will not last for ever and it is a shame to spend a fortune on something that you might tear on a Barbed wiree fence on your first Ex wearing it.

My recommendation is the Issue Windproof, and save money!

11. SASS will make you a smock tailored to your personal requirements and it will, I think, be made in this 'our England'
    An arktis smock will be made how they want to make in heaven knows where. no brainer really.

Good hunting.

12. Just get the issue windproof smock (not the arctic, wired hood = Pain in the neck!) off ebay. It will get covered in shyte anyway so doesn't matter if it's 2nd hand. Much cheaper and you may be able to one for one it...maybe!

13. Seems a tad extreme to do selection just so you can exchange a smock. Maybe thats just because I wouldn't have a hope in hell of passing.

For what it is worth SASS seems to be be the better option if you want to go the whole hog.

14. I have used SASS clothing for the last 10 or 15 years and have always been very pleased with it. Haven't managed to wear anything out yet either.

They are pretty pricey, but consider that the cost is spread over many years of wear - it probably works out at about £10 a year over a decade for the average user.

Bet you could spend more than that on a subscription to Nuts.