SASR Support staff roles

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by DMan, Feb 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

Before anyone has a go at me I know there is a similar thread already, but I didnt find it very helpful so I decided to start my own.

Anyway, I contacted my local SASR regiment and told them I was interested in joining the support staff. They gave me an interview date, in a couple of weeks.

I wanted to ask if anyone has any inside knowledge of the role, what you would be doing and what the selection process for support staff was(the guy i spoke to told me that selection starts in july).

The roles i wanted to joing were:
    -IT/Communications or
    -Ops room

Any help would be greatfull.

2. See threads on 63 (SAS) Sig Sqn
  3. According to their website, Support Staff do not have to go through Selection. I think it's safe to say they would expect you to be fit enough to do your job. I assume you have military experiance anyway, given the role you are applying for.

Best of luck!
  4. Polar - I can't seem to find that thread, is it possible to give me a link?

werewolf - My only military experience is the OTC but I told them about this and they still invited me for an interview. However they would only tell me about the training they provide at the interview.

5. No offence, mate, but are you sure you made it clear you were interested in 21 SAS(R) Support? If not, you may turn up to find they think you want to apply for UKSF Selection itself!

It says on the website, "we welcome enquires from suitably qualified Drivers, Medics, Mechanics, Ops Room Staff..." My bold. I was not aware that UKSF(R) trained their own Support Staff from scratch, but of course I could very well be wrong.

Have you tried the ARRSE search engine? Just type in 63 Sigs.
  6. Ops Int Tp is usually populated by broken / older Blades or else TA transferees with a desirable skillset to offer, such as Int. That said, you might get taken on as a probie. There is no career path as such so no guarantee as to which courses you can get on and no clearly defined path to promotion. However, the upsides can outweigh the downsides.
  7. I was very specific when I e-mailed them and spoke to them. They know I want to apply for a support role. They just told me an interview date and time, to bring a passport, NO SUIT lol and BE ON TIME and the address. I just wanted some advice from anyone on here who has previously had a similar interview or posting.

8. Fair enough, mate, and the very best of luck to you.

FrogPrince seems to know what he's talking about, unlike the rest of us who are only speculating. But for PerSec, I recommend you PM him if you have any further questions.

Once again, good luck.
  9. Thanks mate.

My main question really was about the fitness standards for support staff. I'm fairly fit compared to all my friends but I don't know what that means in SASR terms.
  10. CFT with HQ Sqn used to be to the same timings and weights as 13 Air Assault Support Regiment RLC, IIRC.

CFT with the Blades was somewhat faster...
  11. Thanks. I suppose if the selection starts in July I'll have some time to build up my fitness. Right now I can do 10km in about 55min. Is this any good?

12. Everything that Frog Prince said I agree with. I served with them on the Ops/Int side of things and the plus side was that there was always exercises to support all over the world (in my first year it was Norway and America) but the down side was no clearly defined career path and problems getting on courses etc.

As for the other trades, drivers were mega busy and got all their various HAZMAT quals etc, but they were away every other weekend supporting the guys on selection or the badged guys on exercise. Medics had fun to and got on lots of courses, but I think you had to be a CMT1 before they would even look at you. Armourers had a few more interesting weapons to play with. Clerks were never that busy as each Sqn had a civvie clerk anyway. The clerks tended to get thrown into the ops room on TGHQ type exercises.

One thing that is good about being in support of UKSFR is that you can get your wings. Back in the day you could just do the jumps course, but there were a few "issues" with that, so now you have to do all arms P Coy. However, if thats what you want to do, they will have no problem getting you loaded on to it.

If you are young and fit, they will probably try and push you towards having a crack at selection. There were a couple of support staff blokes who did selection (and passed) after spending a couple of years in support. Which isn't a bad way of doing it?

IMHO the two best jobs in support of UKSFR is Signals and Medical and I'd recommend a trip to 63(SAS) Signal Squadron