Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SASR "Execute" unarmed Afghan

Are KSK limited now in how long they can stay in the unit?

Here is where I saw it; it does not specifically say that operators will be posted out but they will rotate through companies.

Ms. Kramp-Karrenbauer added that she now wants to better integrate the KSK into the wider military to increase oversight of the unit. Training that had been conducted separately from other units would be opened up, security checks of new recruits would be intensified and the number of years soldiers could serve in the same company would be capped.

Last edited:

IWC

Clanker
The mindset st the time was to make a "meaningful" contribution to show support to the US but the Australian Govt is risk averse (Vietnam War legacy) and didn't wan't significant casualties.
The solution was to deploy SF in coalition TF for hard end stuff and deploy conventional in relatively low risk areas.
This had universal support from all political flavours but unfortunately they never set an endstate or timespan hence the deployments kept rolling on.
It should be noted that the vast majority of the ADF (inc SF) did not push back on these arrangements. Aus has the highest deployment allowances and tax free income of any country on Operational deployment and for many it turned into a gravy train - particularly senior officers who produced an outsized Staff appointment quota to many Staff jobs that the Coalition found difficulty in filling.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

The mindset st the time was to make a "meaningful" contribution to show support to the US but the Australian Govt is risk averse (Vietnam War legacy) and didn't wan't significant casualties.
The solution was to deploy SF in coalition TF for hard end stuff and deploy conventional in relatively low risk areas.
This had universal support from all political flavours but unfortunately they never set an endstate or timespan hence the deployments kept rolling on.
It should be noted that the vast majority of the ADF (inc SF) did not push back on these arrangements. Aus has the highest deployment allowances and tax free income of any country on Operational deployment and for many it turned into a gravy train - particularly senior officers who produced an outsized Staff appointment quota to many Staff jobs that the Coalition found difficulty in filling.

There is a lot of truth to what you have just posted.

Best compound in KAF.....Aussie one. Went to the last Anzac Day shin-dig before they pulled out.

Allied partners implicated

The Campbell briefing also makes serious allegations about war crimes involving US and British special forces, who sometimes worked with their Australian counterparts. The US military has prosecuted several special forces members for brutal war crimes with mixed success, while the British military has also faced scrutiny and investigations.

One special forces informant is recorded as telling Dr Crompvoets: "Whatever we do, though, I can tell you the Brits and the US are far, far worse. I've watched our young guys stand by and hero worship what they were doing, salivating at how the US were torturing people. You just stand there and roll your eyes and wait for it to end."

Allied partners implicated

The Campbell briefing also makes serious allegations about war crimes involving US and British special forces, who sometimes worked with their Australian counterparts. The US military has prosecuted several special forces members for brutal war crimes with mixed success, while the British military has also faced scrutiny and investigations.

One special forces informant is recorded as telling Dr Crompvoets: "Whatever we do, though, I can tell you the Brits and the US are far, far worse. I've watched our young guys stand by and hero worship what they were doing, salivating at how the US were torturing people. You just stand there and roll your eyes and wait for it to end."

and you're surprised because...?

combatintman

War Hero

I made a point of phoning my former Brit colleagues in RC(SW) when I was on tour with the Aussie Army to tell them what I was earning a month. Although strangely I was never able to convince the young officer in my detachment that 90% of why people in the ADF were cutting each other's throats to go on tour was because of the deployment allowances despite deploying the - 'in the mid-90s nobody in BAOR volunteered to go to Bosnia because they ended up out of pocket' argument.

I made a point of phoning my former Brit colleagues in RC(SW) when I was on tour with the Aussie Army to tell them what I was earning a month. Although strangely I was never able to convince the young officer in my detachment that 90% of why people in the ADF were cutting each other's throats to go on tour was because of the deployment allowances despite deploying the - 'in the mid-90s nobody in BAOR volunteered to go to Bosnia because they ended up out of pocket' argument.
My word. Five months in Namibia gave me our first house deposit and we were paying tax (1989 - 90). Then there was the 'Dili Dash for Cash' as it was known. Smart folk were doing six months in East Timor, six months back with their unit in Aus then, being 'indispensable', another six months in East Timor, rinse and repeat. The bastards. Then that nice Mr Saddam helped me with my house deposit.

Happy days.

combatintman

War Hero
My word. Five months in Namibia gave me our first house deposit and we were paying tax (1989 - 90). Then there was the 'Dili Dash for Cash' as it was known. Smart folk were doing six months in East Timor, six months back with their unit in Aus then, being 'indispensable', another six months in East Timor, rinse and repeat. The bastards. Then that nice Mr Saddam helped me with my house deposit.

Happy days.
Gold mate - I slept in a room with that nice Mr Hussein's image carved into the wall in 2016 - he looked pretty happy about squaring away your accommodation needs :)

KrissyCD

Old-Salt
What's a double tap? Non military here. The video is pretty shocking.

Latest Threads