Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SASR "Execute" unarmed Afghan

but in addition the book looks at the feuding between Australian special forces and the specific mental toll the constant rotations were having, something like 20 in Afghanistan alone. Regarding the mental toll, the author was able to extensively interview a commando team leader, Ian Turner, after he had returned from his second rotation from the fight against ISIS and his eighth combat rotation. He was in a psych ward for alcoholism and PTSD. Four months later he committed suicide and as I write this a coroner's court in Sydney is investigating his death.
Veteran Commando overwhelmed by PTSD and alchol dependency prior to death.y

Defence ignored warnings of Commando's history of domestic violence and alchol abuse.

Senior Officer admits to inquest that there were 'warning flags' before death of PTSD soldier

What ever happens with the Breteton Report due to be released next month it looks like Senior officers in SOCAUST and the ADF are not going to come out of it well by the look of things.

Veteran Commando overwhelmed by PTSD and alchol dependency prior to death.y

Defence ignored warnings of Commando's history of domestic violence and alchol abuse.

Senior Officer admits to inquest that there were 'warning flags' before death of PTSD soldier

What ever happens with the Breteton Report due to be released next month it looks like Senior officers in SOCAUST and the ADF are not going to come out of it well by the look of things.
Agreed.

E2A: and the problems were foreseen.

No, they are not, 2 commando is quite separate from SASR.
Check the thread title!
I didn't say relevant to the title. I included being relevant to the content of the thread too in my post. They are both SF units that work extremely close together in these operations, and now aren't as seperate as they used to be.

Brereton has taken a look at all the SF units during the investigation for his report.

I hadn't seen the uncensored version of the footage until now. Apologies if it has been previously posted.

I hadn't seen the uncensored version of the footage until now. Apologies if it has been previously posted.

The problem with videos like that is you only get tunnel vision not the full context. Mark Donaldson in his autobiography 'The Crossroad' mentions the dog 'Quake' who was subequently killed and his handler (though obviously not named) although not this incident. They had been warned by Int reports that a wave of suicide bombers were being prepared in Pakistan. They had already had to deal with a number of IED's

A man is spotted digging in a field by the Blackhawk helicopter crew who think this looks suspicious, who alert their passengers and land near the man. He runs off, the troops think he must have been up to know good and chase after him releasing the land shark who hurtles off and brings the guy down. The patrol catches up and the handler calls off his dog and stands over the man covering him with his weopon.

The Afghan is bricking it as he has just being savaged by a land shark and he now has an angry armed foreigner standing over him shouting in a language that he doesn.t understand. He naturely curls up in a ball (probably to prevent his goolies being bitten off by the dog if nothing else) and starts praying to allah to get him out of this as he is quite happy to wait a while for his 72 virgins. He clutches his red prayer beads.

The SASR Trooper is hyped up, thinks the mans actions suspicious as he is thinking suicide bomber or about to set off an IED and the red prayer beads are an iniater of some sort. He asks his patrol sergeant what to do, who replies either to waste him or its your call. The dog handler has a second to make a decision and decides its 'better to be safe than sorry' 'tried by twelve than carried by six' etc, and opens fire.

A tradegy of circumstances with an ordinary farmer running off when a helicopter lands near him and curls up in a ball clutching prayer beads in a natural reaction, being fatatly misinterpretated by a soldier with a different overview.

That would be my defence case if I was his barrister anyway.

The problem with videos like that is you only get tunnel vision not the full context. Mark Donaldson in his autobiography 'The Crossroad' mentions the dog 'Quake' who was subequently killed and his handler (though obviously not named) although not this incident. They had been warned by Int reports that a wave of suicide bombers were being prepared in Pakistan. They had already had to deal with a number of IED's

A man is spotted digging in a field by the Blackhawk helicopter crew who think this looks suspicious, who alert their passengers and land near the man. He runs off, the troops think he must have been up to know good and chase after him releasing the land shark who hurtles off and brings the guy down. The patrol catches up and the handler calls off his dog and stands over the man covering him with his weopon.

The Afghan is bricking it as he has just being savaged by a land shark and he now has an angry armed foreigner standing over him shouting in a language that he doesn.t understand. He naturely curls up in a ball (probably to prevent his goolies being bitten off by the dog if nothing else) and starts praying to allah to get him out of this as he is quite happy to wait a while for his 72 virgins. He clutches his red prayer beads.

The SASR Trooper is hyped up, thinks the mans actions suspicious as he is thinking suicide bomber or about to set off an IED and the red prayer beads are an iniater of some sort. He asks his patrol sergeant what to do, who replies either to waste him or its your call. The dog handler has a second to make a decision and decides its 'better to be safe than sorry' 'tried by twelve than carried by six' etc, and opens fire.

A tradegy of circumstances with an ordinary farmer running off when a helicopter lands near him and curls up in a ball clutching prayer beads in a natural reaction, being fatatly misinterpretated by a soldier with a different overview.

It isn’t the handler who shoots him, it’s Soldier C. It the handler who’s camera captures the shooting.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The dog handler has a second to make a decision and decides its 'better to be safe than sorry' 'tried by twelve than carried by six' etc, and opens fire.

Yeah, no.

He has a long time to make the decision and shoots a guy lying on the ground who presents no imminent threat. It is unambiguously a murder.

Would probably fall down when pointed out that it was Soldier C who pulled the trigger. The same soldier who seemed so concerned over the possibility of an impending suicide bombing, that he stood there for a think, then waited a bit more to ask three times whether he should "drop him", with a moment or two of being so concerned he took his eyes off the target, before then firing to neutralise that impending threat...

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

While this does look like an unwarranted killing, I'd be interested to find out how Mr Edward knows so much about the deceased.

While this does look like an unwarranted killing, I'd be interested to find out how Mr Edward knows so much about the deceased.
Reports in the news have given the name of the afghan, Soldier C shot. Also where on his body he was shot (Mr Edward is wrong in his tweet) and other details about him.

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reports in the news have given the name of the afghan, Soldier C shot. Also where on his body he was shot (Mr Edward is wrong in his tweet) and other details about him.
If the location of the wounds are incorrect I'd be wondering for how long the deceased had been unarmed and treating the claim of innocence with a pinch of salt too.

Latest Threads