Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SASR "Execute" unarmed Afghan

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
This isn’t going to end well.

Using SF to do what regular infantry units can do is a common theme in many militaries where active service is limited.

It'll be interesting to see if SASR goes the same way as the Canadian Airborne Regiment. I suspect it'll survive, but they've already seen internal changes and that's before the report has been published.

I imagine they'll be heading East for a start.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

They've just built a brand new camp in Perth and there's still a requirement for a CT response on that side of Australia, so something will have to stay there even if AUS SOCOMD takes the nuclear (Canadian) option and SASR loses its capbadge.

Cruthin1967

Old-Salt
Video has emerged of a serving member of the SASR killing an unarmed 25yr old Afghan man in extremely questionable circumstances.

Full story at link below

I would want to know what had happened to this trooper in days, weeks before the incident. Even nail hard guys get traumatised and destabilised by the reality of being on ops. Read this blog from wayback: makes you understand how a decent soldier (USMC) came to shoot an unarmed Iraqi in Fallujah. Written by the photo-journalist who captured it on camera.

I would want to know what had happened to this trooper in days, weeks before the incident. Even nail hard guys get traumatised and destabilised by the reality of being on ops. Read this blog from wayback: makes you understand how a decent soldier (USMC) came to shoot an unarmed Iraqi in Fallujah. Written by the photo-journalist who captured it on camera.

Indeed - and reading the guardian article, it suggests that has been a topic of the inquiry.

SASR originally wanted to be stationed in the East when it was formed as a Company back in 1957 as all the Parachute training facilities and transport aircraft were based in the east, but for political reasons they were based in Perth as the government at the time wanted a regular army unit based in the west as there were only reserve units there.

At various times there was talk of moving them to the east but it came to nothing. When SASR took up the CT role in 1980 one of the problems was that they were based 4 hours flying time away from the major population centres in the east. It was one of the reasons that 4 RAR Commando (later renamed as 2 Commando Regiment) was formed in the late nineties at Holsworthy barracks in Western Sydney NSW with a CT team to cover the East.

There will be a lot of resistance in Perth and Western Australia as a whole to moving them as it is regarded as Perths local regiment.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
There will be a lot of resistance in Perth and Western Australia as a whole to moving them as it is regarded as Perths local regiment.
Plus, there's a nudist beach right next door and some of the sunbathers are stunners... my ex among them. It's a regular, er, running route for AussieThem, or used to be.

[/thread drift]

It'll be interesting to see if SASR goes the same way as the Canadian Airborne Regiment. I suspect it'll survive, but they've already seen internal changes and that's before the report has been published.
The three Commandos/Companies of the CAR were each composed of soldiers from the three regular Canadian infantry regiments - the Royal Canadian Regiment, the PPCLI and the Royal 22nd Regiment (van doos). All that happened is that each of those regiments now has their own airborne company wearing the maroon beret. At around the same the Canadians were also forming their own SF unit - JTF-2.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
All that happened is that each of those regiments now has their own airborne company wearing the maroon beret. At around the same the Canadians were also forming their own SF unit - JTF-2.

Tell that to the guys from the disbanded regiment. The level of fury among the former members* at the disbandment and how it was handled is quite something. Some of them even got prominent tattoos to make the point.

*At least the ones I've met.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I have heard that it is nearly all gay men there according to many comments on the internet.
Not back in the day. Her and her mate used to go up there and wear not too much, if anything. The mate was (still is?) a face on the WA motor racing circuit. She used to be one of the dollies who stood in front of cars, etc. All very busty and jolly.
You know the rules. Photos or it didn't happen.
Oh, it happened. She looked like Demi Moore in her prime. Unfortunately, neither of them do now. This was 1988-89 time.

Last edited:
Tell that to the guys from the disbanded regiment. The level of fury among the former members* at the disbandment and how it was handled is quite something. Some of them even got prominent tattoos to make the point.

From the accounts that I've read, the former members of CAR who talk about it tend to say "it was all the fault of a few guys from a different parent regiment". They all got tarred with the same brush however.

As said by @par avion however, their role as SF essentially got taken over by JTF-2, who seem to be somewhat better at remaining discrete about what they get up to.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
This isn’t going to end well.

Using SF to do what regular infantry units can do is a common theme in many militaries where active service is limited.
That article should get a prize for journalese.

And so Guardian as well, hints, light suggestions and a kakhuisvol of anonymous sources, all of which are gen because they're "former SAS."

There was a lot of nervousness from the Parachute Regiment at the time, who were involved in a few incidents, not just in NI but some of their guys getting nicked by the Spanish police while on leave in Spain.

Latest Threads