SASR "Execute" unarmed Afghan

Surely the duty to give enemy wounded medical aid in a Counter Insurgency Campaign is not absolute in cases where the enemy doesn't abide by the LOAC.
The obligation of complying with the LOAC does not alter because of the behaviour of the opposing force in breaching the same.

Strictly, "insurgents" engaged in a domestic ("non-international", per GC) campaign are not considered "combatants" and are, therefore, not subject to the LOAC. Rather, they are subject to the domestic law of that nation.

Last edited:

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
Excellent response from @Banker

Irrespective of the category, all opposition forces are legally entitled to be treated humanely as international and domestic law stipulates basic standards of treatment are applicable to CPERS & the injured as a minimum in all circumstances and at all times.
It is therefore essential that all UK Armed Forces personnel understand and apply these basic standards of treatment.

Source - (JDP 1-10) (3rd Edition)

Shandy123

War Hero

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You should prepare to be surprised, there's a lot more still to come out.
Yup. This seems likely. The ADF has taken huge steps to deal with this that haven't proved popular with the relevant units, but it seems they have good reason to force a culture change.

I suppose it's a good thing the UK MoD has investigated itself over similar allegations and given itself a clean bill of health.

Of course, we're not mentioning the UKSF Group Member who was accused of the murder of a US SF member.

Brush, carpet, why thank you.

Greenfly

Clanker
I suppose it's a good thing the UK MoD has investigated itself over similar allegations and given itself a clean bill of health.

Of course, we're not mentioning the UKSF Group Member who was accused of the murder of a US SF member.

Brush, carpet, why thank you.
HQ MAB Disclosure cell must love you. Careful you don’t get a curly finger over 2017DIN03-015

The DIN about Protection of Information Relating to UKSF is pretty damn clear..

During an all-night session of bar hopping with some drinking, Matthews testified, the SEALs, Raiders and an unnamed British special operations forces member hatched a plan to break into Melgar’s room as he slept, subdue him, duct tape him and video the affair to embarrass him.

Melgar was strangled death while he was in a chokehold during the hazing incident.
perks of a free press.

Those naughty Aussies again.
Just as likely to have been laying around somewhere, and considered less overt than popping smoke. Useful bit of kit, stands out against the ground and indicates the "X" spot very efficiently.

I wouldn't bother POL'ing up the outrage bus on this one.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Just as likely to have been laying around somewhere, and considered less overt than popping smoke. Useful bit of kit, stands out against the ground and indicates the "X" spot very efficiently.
True enough.
My problem lies with lack of judgement on the part of the troops involved.
Bugger the Stars and Bars, it's a piece of cloth and means nothing to most outside the US, the poor decision was taking photos on the first place.

I realise that military history is not a subject one needs for selection, but you'd imagine the Aussies would have heard about the Nip atrocities saved for posterity, (and the allied prosecutors,) on their own Fujifilm.

Yet someone will...

I haven't but unfortunatly it seems the Australian press have got the bus on supercharge.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Q: Are there Australian soldiers in Kabul currently? [August 2020]

( I know there is a BRITBAT there - RIFLES?)

Latest Threads