SAS WWII diary to be published

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by No.9, Sep 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "A secret World War II diary of the British special forces unit, the SAS, has been kept hidden since it was created in 1946. Now it's being published for the first time to mark the 70th anniversary of the regiment. The BBC has exclusive access to the remarkable piece of history. "

BBC News - SAS war diary: The SAS secret hidden since World War II

Expect it will add some colour to the known story. Also expect it will maintain the creed, but might add some clarification :omg:

Still think Mike Asher's book sets out many of the early day truths in Get Rommel :wink:

Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: Get Rommel: The secret British mission to kill Hitler's greatest general (Cassell Military Paperbacks)
    or
    BookFinder.com: Search Results (Matching Books)

No.9

2. HHH

HHH LE

I seen this piece too, but it would need to be a heck of a read at £975 a copy !!

3. I can assure you that's the cheaply bound version. The price rolls up to seven figures in the jewel and gold monikered pages edition. It's production is to aid the Regimental Association funds. Members received a heads up last year via an enclosure in the Association newsletter. It's a huge size to boot.

"The SAS War Diary (1941 > 1945) is an icon. The fact that it's existence has been a secret for over 50 years- even within the Regiment, is incredible. I can think of no better way of marking the 70th. anniversary of the SAS than allowing it to break cover" ( Viscount Slim)

The Diary actually reports to 1948 when a particular unit completed it's mission to track down and bring to justice Nazi war criminals responsible for the torture and murder of SAS soldiers following capture.

4. The Diary actually reports to 1948 when a particular unit completed it's mission to track down and bring to justice Nazi war criminals responsible for the torture and murder of SAS soldiers following capture.[/QUOTE]

That would be the mission reported in detail on Yesterday on freeview, channel 12 on a regular basis. I think it's called 'Nazi Hunters'

I couldn't even begin to do their job, and as professional soldiers they are second to none, but if all the books about their secret actions, written by 'The men from them' were stacked in a pile, it would be a very high pile indeed.

5. That would be the mission reported in detail on Yesterday on freeview, channel 12 on a regular basis. I think it's called 'Nazi Hunters' [/QUOTE]

The book - 'The Secret Hunters' by Anthony Kemp is more expansive on the mission.

• Like Like x 1
  6. The Diary is published in 3 versions:

The Anniversary Edition - available to the public does not contain the chapter on the pursuit of war criminals.

The Services Edition - reserved for the armed forces and the wider services family - does have this chapter [it is the same price as the Anniversary Edition]

The Signed copies for collectors have a more detailed binding and also include the extra chapter [these are more expensive]

The Regimental version which is sold out is decorated with the original blocking designs [ Nazi symbols ]
    and contains the chapter on War crimes Investigations.

The Public version, necessarily has a blocking design featuring the Regimental badge and wings
    and does not contain the War Crimes Chapter.

The Services version blocked with the regimental badge and wings does contain the War Crimes chapter.
    Please note the auction mentioned in the brochure has finished.

sas svcs edn.jpg

sas svcs edn 2.jpg

sas svcs edn order form.JPG

7. I am intrigued RhodieBKK, why is the hunt for the war criminals excised from the public version?

8. Good question, for which I don't have an answer for, and it only concentrates on War Crimes committed in France.
    I have a particular interest in Italy -which is excluded- and the publishers are not sure why.

9. Fantastic stuff, but a mad rip off. When 90% of it is available across the x-many books already out there, plus what is inevitably going to leak, they should sell the absolute replicas (swastikas and all that) for about £250, making about 1000 copies as they are, and then produce a good several thousand diluted (non-war-crime-stuff) copies for the civvie market and rrp at about £70. £70 keeps it "exclusive" enough for the target audience, but cheap enough to say that they can sell a lot more (and thus make more money for their injured, which is why it's going public).

10. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

As a point of history...what were they bound in? Anyone taken DNA samples?

11. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

(edited to add as I can't resist, Phantom Menace (Stawah I), Return of the Jedi (Stawah VI), The Hidden Menace (Stawah VII), and now a Phantom Major...is that like a Walt but much much cooler?)

12. My subjective impression (gained from skimming through The Real Bravo Two Zero in various bookshops) is that Asher has chips on both shoulders about 22 SAS. Any better-informed types care to comment?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Did a similar job on Thesiger & Lawrence.

14. Really? Didn't know that, must have a snoop around his Amazon profile.

Edit; come to think of it, he had a similar axe to grind in Shoot To Kill, as! well! as! far! too! many! exclamation! marks! 14 on one page, IIRC.

15. The Regimental version.

The 5.56mm round is for scale, the book is huge and weighs several tons :wink:

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us