SAS will take on Taleban after leaving Iraq

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Dec 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From The Times
    December 13, 2008
    SAS will take on Taleban after leaving Iraq

Michael Evans, Defence Editor

Two SAS squadrons are to switch from Iraq to Afghanistan next year to mount one of the biggest covert operations for decades against the Taleban leadership and opium smugglers, who help to fund insurgents.

They plan to mount a combined operation with the Special Boat Service (SBS), the Royal Marines' equivalent of the Army's elite regiment, which is currently leading covert missions in Helmand province in southern Afghanistan.

The SAS served with distinction in Afghanistan in the early years of the campaign from 2001. It became involved in highly unusual formation assaults on the Taleban and al-Qaeda terrorists, and also in hunting for Osama bin Laden and drug traffickers.

A decision was taken about three years ago, however, to divide up the roles of special forces, giving the SBS leading responsibility for covert missions in Helmand province, while the SAS took charge in Iraq.

It has been operating from both Baghdad and Basra in the south of Iraq, where the rest of the British forces have been based for the past five years.

Next year, as most of the 4,100 troops are withdrawn, the SAS will also be pulled out, but its expertise and unrivalled experience of covert missions against foreign terrorists and insurgents will be exploited to the full in southern Afghanistan.
    More on the link
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5333416.ece

2. Not very covert now than is it! Why can't we bring back the law about the press not publishing military information. Or is this a national security leak that is OK?

3. That report would imply, they aren't there yet?

As long as No 10 leaked the report, it's okay, it's when the truth is leaked about the ZARNU NL, they get peeved!

4. Was it No 10

No anonymous source statement even, never mind 'a spokesman for . . . '

5. Printing SAS sells newspapers, I suspect that the "information" came from Michael Evans.

6. Even No. 10's spinners have more brains than to get caught breaking OPSEC. Mr Evans, apparently, does not.

Edit: Assuming the report is anything other than fictional of course. If CQMS is right and the pillock is making it up then I believe the Times' usual policy is to sack journos who submit fictional reports.

7. I wouldn't consider this a leak, after all, what else would the do when pulled out of Iraq? Either augment or roulmont with SBS/SRR in Afghan, any hack could have come up with this.

8. It doesn't take Mensa membership to work out where the hooligans will go next after we leave Iraq. Not really sure if it breaks OPSEC.

9. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Yeah. How is this either unexpected or newsworthy? Everybody - including Terry - knows the Sneaky Beaky's will be wearing their best party frocks and be out having 'fun' in Theatre. It's obvious.

10. This kind of thing makes my blood boil. A court hearing was interrupted by a senior officer working for DSF when a location was mentioned concerning spec ops in GW2. He stopped court proceedings on grounds of national security. Now we get this article, if, officially sanctioned, a complete hypocrisy.

Good luck and all the best to the boys on the ground regardless.

11. In other revelations: Manchester United likely to finish higher in the table than Stoke; Andy Murray 'may not win Wimbledon', claims MacEnroe; bear poo found in Canadian forest... :roll:

12. Damn, beat me to it... :p

13. It could be a "positive" leak much the same as advertising that the Gurkha's were going to land on West Falkland Island a week before they did, it put Dunes in the Denims of the Argies so much that they surrended on masse.

I doubt that Terry Taliban will do the same though.

14. As mentioned above, I highly suspect that this report is designed to worry Terry - propaganda?

15. Pope wears funny hat! No WMD's in Iraq! :twisted: