SAS told to tone down selection courses . . . by the HSE

D

Deleted 20555

I'd have thought - These are the conditions you will be operating and this is your task - please plan what you will require to complete it - with comments like Mr Smith, perhaps more than a single water bottle would be a good idea...if anyone is screwing up.

D

Deleted 20555

Having said that water discipline was the fecking worst thing I ever went through...1lt per 24 hours and as much as you could find for yourself.

Seems quite legit.
All they are saying is "Plan ahead and try not to kill anyone on an exceptionally hot day."
Something that's supposed to be done anyway?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

hotel_california

LE
Book Reviewer
It's Wales. It's allway's fucking raining. How could they run out of water?

Surely we've all done tabs, mountain climbs, etc. albeit not at the extreme level required on selection, and many have done stuff in the Gulf, in conflict and not, Cyprus up and down the hills, so why on one selection on a hot day, did three guys die of (I assume) dehydration?

Although I hear of recruits, and others, collapsing on hard phys ever now and again, but what was the overwhelming factor that made three go in one day? Were they encouraged not take extra water as it's consumption would risk a failure on a weigh-in at the end? Did they just underestimate their intake that day?

I know I'm being rather simplistic, but is there anything in the public domain that explains it, or is it simply down to 'A hot day'?

Wasn't it a case of three dying but more were hospitalised?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

M

Mark The Convict

Full moon is nigh chaps, the loon will be beside itself for the next few days, unless someone applies a well-swung sock full of gravel to the back of its head.

Sympathies with the familys. This is an ongoing investigation.

Not wishing to sound too much like a cunt please show some decorum. Most have one or two, not so much. Yeah, I know its the naafi.

Wales is the only country in the world where water doesn't run downhill. Fact! :)
Surely I'm not the only one who's been up to his knees in water on Pen-y-Fan?

The central massif of Brecon can indeed be soaking, or thick with snow, but it can also be totally dry. The rubbish part being that it only ever seems to be totally dry when you are really thirsty.

Wales is the only country in the world where water doesn't run downhill. Fact! :)
Surely I'm not the only one who's been up to his knees in water on Pen-y-Fan?
I ran up Pen-y-Fan on a fell race the day those guys died/were hospitalised. It was a bastard hot day and a couple of fell runners - normally a fairly hardy bunch - just turned around and walked off; and we were dressed in shorts and t-shirts.

I don't think it would take a genius to work out that there'd be heat casualties in those temperatures; and I'm not talking about us, I'm talking about them. We don't need any more H&S, just some common sense. I hope whoever was running the exercise had his career stopped.