SAS seizes Taliban leader in secret war

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...GAVCBQUIV0?xml=/news/2007/01/18/wafghan18.xml

A team of SAS soldiers captured a key Taliban commander yesterday in a lightning raid on a heavily-fortified compound in southern Afghanistan.
Heavily fortified... What does it mean?

Without a shot being fired...
Ahh... understand.

...the force of fewer than 30 elite soldiers, backed by Afghan troops...
Afghan troops in a secret operation? Fairy-tale.

achieved "total surprise" and seized Mohammad Nabi...
...probably local tribe leader.

in the early hours of the morning near Gereshk, in Helmand province. Nabi is believed to be a key commander in the Taliban insurgency in the neighbouring province of Kandahar.
But why 'a key commander' doesn't fight in his own province, but in Kandahar? It is strange.

The compound, which had been under observation by Nato forces for around two weeks, was typical of the heavily-fortified homes favoured by the Pashtun tribes of southern Afghanistan, which often boast battlements and watch towers.

Just got sent this photo from the boys as they were going in on the raid:

'course they were surprised.

Thanks Mr and Mrs Telegraph.... it's not so secret now is it!

Don't knock them. These guys are fighting as hard, if not harder than a lot of the standard regulars out in Afghan.

I dread to think how many casualties we would have amongst our forces if these guys were not in the background causing havoc and disrupting things.

Having said that, I wonder if the link with them using Afghan troops has any validity. I wouldn't be surprised if they have certain Afghans on board, but not your boggo troops in 4x4's.

Good.

Squeeze the bloke's gonads!

He lead you to Mush; like that Talib captured who stated that Mullah Omar is in Quetta, Pakistan!

eveyuk said:
Rayc said:
Good.

Squeeze the bloke's gonads!

He lead you to Mush; like that Talib captured who stated that Mullah Omar is in Quetta, Pakistan!
Put him in the big brother house, that will break him!
......that'd break a 3/4in ballbearing......

besides, there's some types of torture that even i find over-the-top and cruel.

BaldricksBullet said:
Just got sent this photo from the boys as they were going in on the raid:

'course they were surprised.

Thanks Mr and Mrs Telegraph.... it's not so secret now is it!
Any chance of a biger pic?

KGB_resident said:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=XGRNGWBIIIHTJQFIQMGCFGGAVCBQUIV0?xml=/news/2007/01/18/wafghan18.xml

A team of SAS soldiers captured a key Taliban commander yesterday in a lightning raid on a heavily-fortified compound in southern Afghanistan.
Heavily fortified... What does it mean?

Without a shot being fired...
Ahh... understand.

...the force of fewer than 30 elite soldiers, backed by Afghan troops...
Afghan troops in a secret operation? Fairy-tale.

achieved "total surprise" and seized Mohammad Nabi...
...probably local tribe leader.

in the early hours of the morning near Gereshk, in Helmand province. Nabi is believed to be a key commander in the Taliban insurgency in the neighbouring province of Kandahar.
But why 'a key commander' doesn't fight in his own province, but in Kandahar? It is strange.

The compound, which had been under observation by Nato forces for around two weeks, was typical of the heavily-fortified homes favoured by the Pashtun tribes of southern Afghanistan, which often boast battlements and watch towers.
Couldn't you just congratulate the troops on their success and for not losing anyone instead of trying to pick holes in a the Telegraph's article?

Are you trying to in some way undermine the success with your comments?

GDav said:
Couldn't you just congratulate the troops on their success and for not losing anyone instead of trying to pick holes in a the Telegraph's article?

Are you trying to in some way undermine the success with your comments?
I believe that SAS guys did their job excellently, as ever. My congratulation to them!

I doubt (for reasons I mentioned) that captured bloke is indeed a senior Taliban commander, though anyway he is a potential Taliban warlord. And no doubt that some his relatived would join Taliban thanks to his detention.

Gdav, you are right, I noted that some details of the event likely were invented by journalist or/and MoD propagandists. It is not something unusual.

Regards!