SAS rescue team gave Kembers kidnappers time to flee

A senior Western diplomatic source said: “The ultimatum was passed through an intermediary. It was a calculated risk

You gotta have balls of steel to negotiate that one.
Fair play to them it would have been a PR disaster if Mr Kember had been slotted. The red tops would have had a field day.

So much easier to deal with common money orientated criminals than lunatic fundamentalists willing to die for Allah

thegimp said:
So much easier to deal with common money orientated criminals than lunatic fundamentalists willing to die for Allah
In the case of our government, I suppose they were more comfortable dealing with their own kind...

"Hello?"

"Hi, is that Mustafa Crap? This is the british hostage rescue team. Just thought you would like to know. We know who you are, your brother Beenfora et al, and where you are with the hostages. We'll be sending round, say, a squadron of blades and assorted attached bods to pick them up. Is that ok with yourselves? Say in about a quarter of an hour or so?"

"Errrrr..."

"Fantastic! See you then. Tata."

Well why not?

I believe they sent a VHS video recorder round with a copy of Who dares wins

drain_sniffer said:
thegimp said:
I believe they sent a VHS video recorder round with a copy of Who dares wins
And they still fled?
Have you seen the acting in that film?

I suppose the thought of Grant/Henno comming through your back door to "sort it" would be enough to make any hardened terrorist run

drain_sniffer said:
I suppose the thought of Grant/Henno coming through your back door to "sort it" would be enough to make any hardened terrorist run
8O 8O or anyone for that matter!

On a serious note, I bow to the tri-balled team who calculated the risk of negotiating with the unpredictable kidnappers, executed it and it paying off. I have yet to feel anything but contempt for Kember's foolishness though.

"BRITISH officials allowed the kidnappers of the peace activist Norman Kember to escape because the district was short enough of Policemen as it is"

Hostage rescued , no one died. Result.

PartTimePongo said:
"BRITISH officials allowed the kidnappers of the peace activist Norman Kember to escape because the district was short enough of Policemen as it is"

Quite a display of calculated risk and cool reserve. A lesson I believe, that should be adopted by our American Cousins.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
PartTimePongo said:

So are these policemen/kidnappers planning their next snatch or are they all nice local bobbies now ?

Im intrigued by how heavy artillery might have been used!! Sure it's a great propaganda tool to scare them but how wise would it be to lob a artillery shell into a populated area?

Otherwise sounds like a good gamble

Edited

Err and just where is there disapproval of our rescue bods??? Certainly none on this thread or any other thread on arrse discussing Kember's rescue as far as I can recall.

G

Goku

.Dolly said:
Err and just where is there disapproval of our rescue bods??? Certainly none on this thread or any other thread on arrse discussing Kember's rescue as far as I can recall.
Remember who you're talking to, doctrine/pentwyn/lawstudent is an idiot :roll: