SAS Recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

alster29

Swinger
Hey everyone,

Hypothetically if one wanted to join SAS how long would you have to stay in your unit for in your current regiment for if you're a new recruit, do you have to wait untll your 4 year contract is up or would you be able to attempt selection after a matter of months in your unit?

any helpful info would be appreciated

Hey everyone,

Hypothetically if one wanted to join SAS how long would you have to stay in your unit for in your current regiment for if you're a new recruit, do you have to wait untll your 4 year contract is up or would you be able to attempt selection after a matter of months in your unit?

Statistically, it's exceptionally unlikely you're going to pass selection.
So instead of day dreaming about becoming SF, why not start preparing yourself for what you're actually going to do and make a decent fist of that. If, remarkably, after a couple of years you still feel like going SF you'll have access to all the information you could possibly need.

Hey everyone,

Don't need a crystal ball to see some points being awarded today...

alster29 once you are at a unit, you can access the relevant info about UKSF selection process, briefing courses etc. There are requirements you need to fulfill before applying.

Good luck to you if you decide to go for it.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Statistically, it's exceptionally unlikely you're going to pass selection.
So instead of day dreaming about becoming SF, why not start preparing yourself for what you're actually going to do and make a decent fist of that. If, remarkably, after a couple of years you still feel like going SF you'll have access to all the information you could possibly need.
It's not exceptionally unlikely, if you get to the start point it's somewhere between 1/6 and 1/10, depending on year and how you count it. The rest of your advice is sound.

EDIT: I didn't see this was in the recruitment forum, so my serious answer is:

OP, the first rule of SF recruitment is don't come on public forums and ask about SF recruitment. Use Google and search functions, look at the information the Army does offer, and if your specific questions are still unanswered, ask a) do I really need to know the answer to take the next step in the process, and b) is anyone going to tell me anyway?

The answer to both is almost always: "No". If you cannot discipline yourself to therefore not ask and instead focus on the next step (getting fit, putting in an application, basic training, whatever), then it is true, the chance of you passing selection is statistically exceptionally unlikely.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hey everyone,

Also fella, I see you're soon to attend basic, so well done there. But as a tip, linking your start date, choice of regiment, and presumably a handle related to your name with questions about future SF aspirations is not a smart choice. Your DS and training platoon all can read ARRSE too.

I'd suggest more listening and quiet research, and less openly asking about this kind of stuff until you have a bit more experience. It's possible the Army has changed, but my bet is your mates and DS will still be inclined to roll their eyes and look harshly on blokes who join with one eye already on SF. If you end up being first in every test and event in training, fair enough - if not, stand by forsome ridicule.

alster29

Swinger
one of the main reasons I’m joining is so I can have a go at sf in the future, might sound unusual but I’ve had my eye on it for a few years now

War Hero
You were given the advice above. When you get to your unit you will be able to access the information on the selection process. You will need to aim to be in the top 1% of the field army for fitness and the top 5% for skills and drills, so when you are going through training you will be aiming for top recruit. When you get to your unit if you show you have the skills and ability it will become clear to those who know the system and they will enquire of your wishes as part of the annual reporting process.

If you find that you are not in the right percentage then you might need to avoid being a bit mouthy about your intentions as you will be ribbed rather a lot by your colleagues.

How long you stay in your unit will depend on how soon you are ready and able to go for briefing and ultimately to selection. Plan on two years.

Slime

LE
but yeah thanks for the advice anyway, I’ll keep it in mind… back to my original question though- do you know if I would have to stay in my army unit for some time before attempting SF selection
If you are a genuine poster asking these questions, the first thing to do is re read all the replies in this thread.
You are already ignoring the advice given……

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads