SAS (R) to Reg

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been covered on here before if you use search you will find more info. In short though, yes you can, but you still have to do the full selection. Case in point is the well known author Chris Ryan.

Dr Death

Old-Salt
Why?

Why not join the Regular Army, do Phase 1 & Phase 2 see how you like things & go from their.
Then with some maturity, apply for selection to 22, it is not like in the films or on ultimate farce.
Work can be tedious, long, dangerous & you might end up dead at a youngish age!

UKTAP

LE
Why?

Why not join the Regular Army, do Phase 1 & Phase 2 see how you like things & go from their.
Then with some maturity, apply for selection to 22, it is not like in the films or on ultimate farce.
Work can be tedious, long, dangerous & you might end up dead at a youngish age!
Possibly because he doesn't want to **** about learning how to polish boots and march around like a twat if he doesn't have to?

Possibly because he doesn't want to **** about learning how to polish boots and march around like a twat if he doesn't have to?
I met someone who was of the same mind when he decided to join in the UK. He had arrived from overseas where he had served in his own countrys SF ( he had worked with UKSF) and managed to more or less bypass UK basic, with some serious negotiation, on the understanding he was only interested in UKSF selection. He passed.

Note: Either his parents, or grandparents were British which is what allowed him to join.

Shockwave

On ROPS
On ROPs
Many thanks,

Not seeking any back door route- this query is in regards with the recent changes to the DIN relating to seamless transfers between Reserve/Regulars.

Also DIN now states that any reservist can apply to attend regular SFBC. If successful they are then “moved & tracked” by parent unit using RSD’s until Aptitude (min 19 RSDs). Previously all candidates were assigned to the SC from the start of the aptitude phase. This has changed I understand.

Thanks for the sensible answers.

Last edited:
Many thanks,

Not seeking any back door route- this query is in regards with the recent changes to the DIN relating to seamless transfers between Reserve/Regulars.

Also DIN now states that any reservist can apply to attend regular SFBC. If successful they are then “moved & tracked” by parent unit using RSD’s until Aptitude (min 19 RSDs). Previously all candidates were assigned to the SC from the start of the aptitude phase. This has changed I understand.

Thanks for the sensible answers.
SASR selection is a brutal year long exercise in patience and exhaustion if you have to hold down a day job at the same time. If however, you have plenty of free time during the week, it might actually be preferable to regular selection in some ways.

I expect that the DS have their ways to filter out the guys who show up for SASR selection thinking it will be an easier way in than regular selection.

I have read accounts of selection from two guys who were students at the time and it was brutal for them, 21 years old and loads of free time and no financial concerns to worry about.

I've read another account, a famous book that I cant remember the name of (citizen soldier or something like that) where he goes through the whole process and passes. It just made me think that if you have a demanding civi job then forget it, your better off joining the regular army where some focus can be applied to preparing yourself (para's for example) and you wont be worrying about money all the time because you'll be doing you main job.

Is there any reason why you can’t, or don’t, want to join up as a regular?

Like at university, or have a job you don’t want to let go of?

Shockwave

On ROPS
On ROPs
Is there any reason why you can’t, or don’t, want to join up as a regular?

Like at university, or have a job you don’t want to let go of?
I served for five and half years.

Not looking to apply for UK Joint Special Forces Selection. This question was in relation to the recent changes to the seamless transfer process as laid out in the recently updated DIN. Undoubtedly the changes have thinned the membrane between 21/23 & 22 once more. You will see that projects as directed by SO1 Head MAS(A) for ISR bde make interesting reading.

Thanks for trying anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads