SAS (R) to be disbanded?

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by otter, Jul 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just read on a forum board a couple of posts regarding 21 & 23 SAS....apparently they are to be disbanded due to SFSG providing "quality" soldiers in support of 22....that 22 and the SPSG are unimpressed with them nor do they particulary "like" them!

From the general gist the posts seem to imply 21 & 23 roles are redundant. ( I thought they had their own specific role not just to provide 22 with support?)

I have heard nothing of this but have just started the ball rolling, so to speak and am obviously a wee bit concerned.

The author seems to come from 4 Para....can anyone shed any light?
  2. link to forum please
  3. 21 and 23 are SAS(V) and as such are independent units that provide troops for ops as formed patrols/squadrons etc and usually operate entirely separate from the "Desmonds" (22) whom they dispise as arrogant tossers. SAS(R) provide backfill troops for the regular regiment.
    or so my mayte "Chopper" tells me, he was first through the window at the iranian embassy don't you know? and he led the team that infiltratedthe white house and replaced the president with a shaved chimp.
  4. That's an outrageous slur.

It was a macaque.
  5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I read the ManFat website posts, have to say, the obvious loc for 21 lads is the HAC - given they both perform the ISTAR role, with whom there is already a relationship of sorts. Sounds to me like TA Para Capt is just wishful thinking.

Also not too impressed by lads confusing R with 21 and 23, seeing as R is nearly all ex-22 lads anyway... Hardly demonstrates omniscient knowledge does it...
  6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Mr Happy, check your PMs.

PS 21 and 23 are now branded SAS (R), so it is correct!
  7. Well

Bit of upgrading, learning some additional skills and working hard and those disbanded Might just be able to re-badge to 49 para.

Subject to them reaching their stringent criteria
  8. So what is correct?

I'm confused. SAS(V) is now SAS(R)? What did the old SAS(R) become? And is it the old SAS(R) or the new SAS(R) which is being disbanded? Or both? Or neither? Or all of us? Or just me? And who's that guy with the knife? And, so, Rachel was seeing Ross but then they were on a break, right? No? Argh!
  9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Yep, independent source just pointed out I'm a tosspot that knows nothing about SF. So something works!

Mr H
  10. Haven't you heard - 49 Para is also to disbanded and amalgamated with the Legion of Frontiersmen as the Worldwide Airsoft Legion Training Society based in the repainted boathouse at Hereford....

....Oh never mind.

11. Must admit that having browsed on manfat have found it to be heavily infiltrated by Walts. The one post that really put me off was a thread alleging that Col H Jones VC had been shot in the back by his own men for fear that he would get them killed or some such libellous trash.
  12. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I heard that in 1982, nothing new there. H still got his poor rad-op killed though didn't he....
  13. Yep It will be a sad day when SAS (R) & (V) and 49 Para are disbanded and all we have left to show for it are the WALTS.
  14. May be a SRR TA would be better if they aren't much use to 22? Or do what SBS(R) do, which is train individuals for filling slots in the regs.