SAS, Para, Airborne etc webbing question.

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Anon2012, Sep 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Didn't know where else to post this...Just a casual/curious question.

Been casually looking online for stuff and came across this website.
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me the difference between Airborne, SAS, Para webbing and the standard issue webbing we/I've been given.
    I have tried looking on google etc with no luck...I can honestly see little/no difference, except a ton more straps on the back.
  2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

para webbing came about to stop pouches falling off and to fit better so they are sewn onto the belt/pad which gives a tighter comfier load out instead of pouches rattling about. you cant cram pouches on like we used to with 58 or plce so probably carry a but less but dont have to stitch and zip tie pouches together and to the belt before fastening a hip pad onto it.

sas webbing used to mean the rear pouches were lowered on webbing loops to allow better bergan carrying over longer distances, now its just a way of selling stuff on ebay.
  3. Trading standards will never know the difference....if you don't then you do not need to know....simples.
  4. Ones £95 the other one is free
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks for your answer, really clears up the difference. I've had to adjust my webbing so many times to get as comfortable fit, but it's just not happening...Like you said about the pouches rattling about, don't I know how that feels.
    Not quite sure why they don't roll out airborne webbing for all in the first place, as in my opinion it makes sense.
  6. It's airborne webbing because that is where the idea started, it isn't on issue to them. Your average Para Tom will be issued PLCE as per everyone else.

The reason it hasn't been rolled out to all is because different people need different rigs. That said, you could get away (IMHO) with issueing an airbourne webbing design of 3-4 pouches across the back, a uty pouch front right with dividers/insert for mags and molle/belt for which ever ammo pouch was required on the left. (ie 6 mags or pouch for belt).
  7. Didn't expect that one, since they are in the para regiment..and as you said, the para webbing is better for that role.
    True I guess, didn't really think of that...Easier to roll out PLCE and add your own pouches than doing several varieties to suit different roles I guess.
    I agree there, I pretty much have that layout; 1 water pouch, 1 utility, 2 mag pouches. And IMO, like you said...Typically you could get away with it, I know the infantry lads need their entrenching tool pouch, but other than that I can't see what else you'd add on to the belt.
    Whilst on Alpha training I seen very few, but some DS staff have their belt full to the last square inch of pouches and thinking to myself...What the hell you need all them for.
  8. Remember Kids! Allyness saves lives.

9. Well find someone who knows their shit to sort it out for you, It's not rocket science though.

As I am feeling helpful and belligerent in equal measure I will add that cable ties and bungies may help.
  10. Grumblegrunt

you sure about that? it was rare to see a truly well put together set of webbing outside of my locker :)

funniest thing was teaching yanks the brit way of doing stuff so 58 webbing, mess tins, kfs etc... they were lost without a giant mess trailer turning up on the training area. well nearly the funniest thing - going on the ranges with that nasty heavy elephant gun pipped it to the post.
  11. Grumblegrunt

mind you the OP is lucky he doesn't have to take it apart before handing it back in. some TA units were **** like that.
  12. Buy something non issue by all means, it will fit better and probably do a better job. However, if something breaks in the field or on operations, I will laugh at you when the Q staff **** you off because they don't have the specific webtex bit, and you are left with a bergan strap with sellotape wrapped around it to keep it on. Issue may be shit but when it breaks it costs £0 for you to fix.
  13. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Buy quality gear - you tend to look after it - if you look after it then it won't break.
  14. Grumblegrunt

I found the issue gear with a few feet of velcro, seat belt webbing, boot laces,zip ties, rubber paint, fastex clips, adapted daysacks and the bottom of someone elses kip mat worked fine :)