SAS or SBS reserves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just turned 18 and after training with soldiers who we met on camps in the ACF, I would like to join the army reserves whilst I go to uni. Out of the SAS or SBS reserves, which is better? How many hours do you train in the day and what activities do you do?

I just turned 18 and after training with soldiers who we met on camps in the ACF, I would like to join the army reserves whilst I go to uni. Out of the SAS or SBS reserves, which is better? How many hours do you train in the day and what activities do you do?
Phone the relevant units yourself and ask them. Most people on here left the military when Blondie Hasler was OC of the SBS, decades before you were born and wouldn't have served in either unit anyway.

You have to be already serving in a reserve unit to join SBS Reserve anyway. You are better off joining 4 Para, RMR or an Infantry unit to get some experience before attemting UKSF Reserve Selection. Universities have their own OTC's on campus.

If this isn't just yet another bizarre wind up, and you actually are going to university, maybe you should look into the UOTC?

If you don't fancy that, join whatever Army Reserve unit that takes your fancy, and isn't too far away from you. Be aware that you might not able to commit to attending every course/camp/exercise while at university, as these won't necessarily match with your time off.

If this isn't just yet another bizarre wind up, and you actually are going to university, maybe you should look into the UOTC?

If you don't fancy that, join whatever Army Reserve unit that takes your fancy, and isn't too far away from you. Be aware that you might not able to commit to attending every course/camp/exercise while at university, as these won't necessarily match with your time off.
It's not certain that I will go to uni because it's dependant on the grades I get as I have a conditional offer. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, we aren't sitting any formal exams and we will receive centre based grades which basically means the government will decide what we get.

If I get the grades I need for university, then I'm planning on joining London UOTC but in the event that I don't and need to sit the appeal exam, I will take a gap year and join the reserves as UOTC only accepts students currently attending university.

From what I've pieced together, the Reserves are just like Army cadets except you get paid so I figured why not join to get paid to do activities that I enjoy?

It's not certain that I will go to uni because it's dependant on the grades I get as I have a conditional offer. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, we aren't sitting any formal exams and we will receive centre based grades which basically means the government will decide what we get.

If I get the grades I need for university, then I'm planning on joining London UOTC but in the event that I don't and need to sit the appeal exam, I will take a gap year and join the reserves as UOTC only accepts students currently attending university.

From what I've pieced together, the Reserves are just like Army cadets except you get paid so I figured why not join to get paid to do activities that I enjoy?
Taking this at face value and assuming you're not a sock puppet, the reserves are nothing like the cadets. The cadets are a youth organisation made up of pre-teens and teenage children. The reserves are soldiers who serve on a part-time basis who go to war alongside their regular counterparts when required.

Are you planning on staying at home while at uni, or moving to another part of the country?

If you're staying put, go and talk to your local reserve unit. They can set you straight on what it is that they do, and you might even decide to join them.

Are you planning on staying at home while at uni, or moving to another part of the country?

If you're staying put, go and talk to your local reserve unit. They can set you straight on what it is that they do, and you might even decide to join them.
I live in Archway and I am planning on going to Imperial College if I get into uni. I would like to live at home to cut expenses and I'm going to ring up Whipp's Cross tomorrow for more clarity because apparently there's marine and naval reserves as well.

I honestly don't mind which reserve force I join as long as they do shooting, field craft, expeditions and parachuting and offer good pay and flexible hours.

You have to be already serving in a reserve unit to join SBS Reserve anyway. You are better off joining 4 Para, RMR or an Infantry unit to get some experience before attemting UKSF Reserve Selection. Universities have their own OTC's on campus.
I'm going to think about the RMR because this webpage I found says they do the same training as the regulars. Do marines do parachuting though?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
OP, even Basic Training/Phase One is a shock for most people who’ve never really pushed themselves before - and there is a BIG difference between that and SF selection, let alone passing it. A lot of very good soldiers have failed. A fair few more haven’t even bothered trying.

Playing unit Top Trumps at this stage of any putative military career is puerile.

Have a good think about what you want as a career whilst in and then after. That should steer what you decide - long before trying to do anything in the SF world.

Chimp

ADC
Phone the relevant units yourself and ask them. Most people on here left the military when Blondie Hasler was OC of the SBS, decades before you were born and wouldn't have served in either unit anyway.
In 1940, Hasler served as fleet landing officer in Scapa Flow, and was then sent to Narvik in support of the French Foreign Legion in the Norwegian campaign, for which duties he was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE), mentioned in despatches, and awarded the French Croix de guerre.

At the age of 28 in 1942, Major Hasler planned and personally led Operation Frankton, for which he was subsequently awarded the Distinguished Service Order (DSO). He was also recommended for the Victoria Cross, but was not eligible because his actions were not "in the face of the enemy" as required for that decoration. There are conflicting opinions about the impact of this costly operation on the war effort, but the courage and enterprise of the participants is not in doubt.

In commemoration of Herbert Hasler's efforts in Operation Frankton, the UK Kayak marathon racing series is named 'The Hasler Series'.

Something of a sea change, from this:

It's worrying to see how stupid everyone is in these forums. Hardly surprising since the army doesn't require you to think at all. It's a disappointment given all the other intelligent soldiers that I have met. I had higher expectations and was looking forward to joining the army. Hopefully they aren't all as stupid as you lot.
To this:

I urge you to carry out a lot more research on the British Armed Forces (and, in particular, the Army) before you approach any Unit with a view to joining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads