SAS... I need some help/information

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Squall954, Jan 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm sorry if this isn't the right section, or even the right forum, to be asking this in, but I have a few questions.

First of all, I'm American, so excuse me if I don't know what I'm talking about...

Anyways, I'm basically at a loss here. I want to join the SAS. Why? Because it's the best special forces team in the world. I'm kind of being shoved into military service, and if that's how it has to be, then I want to have a high goal to set for myself, and that seems like a pretty good one.

I know it's extremely hard to get into, with the high failure rate, etc. etc. I realize that. But what I need to know is, do I have to be born in Great Britain to join or do I simply have to be a citizen? I also know I have to be in the military for at least three years and have 39 months of active duty left, etc. But, yeah... And any help on joining would be great, too. If it's even possible for me to join, I'd like to know before I pay to move across the pond because once I'm over there, then, well, I'm pretty much there for the rest of my life.

Also, I hope British people don't hate Americans as much as I heard, cause I'm pretty much going to be lost.

And again, sorry if I said anything offensive or ignorant, idk. I just need help and I didn't know where to turn to get it.

2. Whats American for WAH????

3. I'm going to sit back and watch for this one. Should be fun.

4. Proword: NOWAH

Much as we consider you septic chappies to be frustrated colonials, there's little chance of you being let into our armed forces short of citizenship...but we seem to give that to any bearded bottom-feeders who come across the channel so you may be in with a shout :p

5. I believe you'll have to live in the UK for a few years - long enough to get citizenship - before you can join. But maybe I'm wrong. Here's a link for the SAS Reserve - they may be able to take you (cos they're TA), and you could go for Selection with the Regulars after 2 years if you get in. Best way is to get on the phone with them and work something out. But don't get your hopes up.

http://www.army.mod.uk/uksf/special_forces_soldier_reserve_/sas/index.htm

6. Okay, join the British Army first, best to be infantry, preferably Para (although Regt / Corps is no handicap if you have the native talent - HAC and 18 Sigs are both good side channels.) And make sure you can pass the inevitable security vetting (as well as actually being an SF capable person.)

Then apply, do selection, pass the training and George W is your uncle. Simple to say, hard to do (I couldn't).

7. Contrary to my last.

Not exactly a willing murder-death-kill type then?

8. You said it, Brian.

9. Go to the health and fitness section of this site. You'll find that SAS level of fitness involves running 1.5 miles in 8 minutes.

Mark 1.5 miles using google earth ruler function and run that time in 8 minutes.

Alternately walk to the top of Hampstead Heath, look around the bushes. and ask for "Roger." If necessary shout out "I need roger" and just wait,

They are often up there in pairs training for Observation Posts. I'm sure one someone will happily debrief you.

Good luck.

10. The Guys at walts.co.uk seem to have a lot of advice.

TTFN

BFG

11. You should probably speak to an ex SAS Sergeant I know who will be able to help you.

I will get his mobile number for you and he will be able to square you away.

Here is a picture of him to verify he really was in. He is on the left with his mates 'Abdul Dinger' and 'Legs.'

[​IMG]

Now i know him as "Henno" however when you speak to him be sure to call him "Mr Garvey" or "Sgt Garvey".

Any more info needed let me know. A few of the others in here will be able to vouch for this guy.

12. We understood you wouldn't know what you were talking about when you said you were a spam.
    Why don't you join Delta force or some kind of spam version of the SAS?
    Wow,how do you know so much yet so little about them?

Yes it is possible for you to join. You need to get a flight to the UK, then a train to Hereford (Pronounced HERE-fooord).Once you get there you need to find a shop where you can buy some womens clothing, get your legs waxed and then go to any pub. Wait for some muscular looking gents with dodgy tashes to come in and sashay up to them (put as much mince into it as you can). Proceed to chat them up and ask if you can have a "spit roast". They will understand you are using a secret code and your training will start.
    Of course we don't, we love all american gear....

13. Not sure "I want to join the SAS" counts as a valid reason for granting you a visa to enter the UK.

14. That is just so, like, unlike you...

Are you ill?

Litotes