SAS hero reveals horror of child sex abuse ordeal

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by call_me_jack, Nov 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. well said jack, to speak out like this guy takes a lot of guts.
    i wish him all the best for his future and to his attacker i wish an eternity of hell

2. Good drills fella, no matter what regiment you're in and how brave you are in the field this takes pure courage.

Good Luck and all the best.

3. Yeah hats off to the guy, he's came out of the ordeal a well balanced man. But I think I was in basic training with the bloke that abused him, right name, age and area of the country if it's the same bloke he was a big mouth who got found wanting. freaky!

4. Good for him. Takes guts but at least these days the powers that be are prepared to do something.

Back in the dark ages of Blogg's Schooldays a grim faced headmater announced one morning that a pupil had been found dead at home following a tragic accident whilst he was "playing with some rope."

Soon after it was announced that one of the English teachers had been involved in a road accident and never returned, having decided to work overseas once recovered from extensive and serious injuries. The Headmaster failed to mention that he had no memory of the incident and so could simply not explain the fact that he appeared to have incurred the majority of his injuries some distance from his car nor the short length of scaffolding wrapped in electrical tape found near his senseless form.

General view was that he got off too lightly.

5. There is a common reoccuring link between abusive childhoods and PTSD.
    Early childhood trauma is a direct contributor to this injury. FACT.

Best wishes to the man a very brave bloke- he will now start to heal.
    I for one wish him all the best.

6. Eagle1

That interesting, I was not aware of that link. Do you have a source for that or could you point me in the right direction to the research that under-pins it? Is it just abusive childhoods or does it affect other types of experienced dramatic incident?

As to the subject of this thread, its good to see someone doing the morally right thing. Especially when he clearly could have taken more direct action.

7. If you look in most books/articles/journals about PTSD you'll find it. Sexual abuse is probably the most common cause of PTSD in this country, though for many people who are abused it isn't often diagnosed until many, many years later.

You have to look at sexual abuse as one of any number of traumatic events that can cause PTSD, it isn't 'special' in any way. Just so happens it's the most common cause I've come across in my time as a psychiatric nurse (and that of my old consultant when we discussed this).

Any psychogically traumatic incident can be a precursor to PTSD, whether that's a traumatic labour, RTA, military service, sexual abuse, the list is long.

8. Big Cahones!

9. I'm not doubting what happened to the SAS bloke for one minute, but doesn't it strike anyone as unfair that the alleged abuser has his name and details spread all over the papers, internet and probably TV from day one, whereas the alleged victim remains anonymous for 'legal reasons'? And it's not for reasons of sneaky beaky security.

Once the perpetrator is found guilty, fair enough, but it doesn't seem right that he is named and shamed in such a way beforehand.

10. I see your point. However with cases like this it is possible the suspect is a repeat offender and it may encourage victims who have not spoken up to come forward if they see they are not alone in dealing with what has happened.

11. Is the offender still alive(link did'nt work on my Stone Age pc)? If so, lock him in a room. With the ex-SAS bloke. and a bat. With nails in it...

12. Here you go

I'm sure he could have set up the baseball bat scenario himself. The point is he never and it takes a much braver man to do what he did. Also it will be less likely to cause him further psychological problems.

13. 1. If the victim is a serving member of SF there will always be OPSEC / PERSEC issues.

2. It seems that a number of other victims have come forward, should they also be named? It seems there is sufficient quality and quantity evidence for the media and the court to feel they can name the perpetrator.

3. It might not have crossed the victim's mind, but someone will have recognised that his vetting, and hence his SF career would be at stake if there was any hint of fabrication on the part of the SF soldier. The question of vetting and integrity, whilst laughable to some, has been brought up in Court before.

14. and of course...why would he lie?? What could he possibly gain by making it up and laying himself open like he has? No disrespect to any of you boys and girls on here but you have the armed forces way of looking at stuff,take the piss first,sympathise later so he was risking a whole bucket of crap if any one guessed who he was! Like you say,he has guts b the bucketload and i hope his abuser gets what's coming to him