SAS founders life story to be made into a film

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Random_Task, Feb 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. SAS founder's life story to be made into a film
    Daily Telegraph
    Link

2. Just wonder which Hollywood actor will play Stirling, not to mention all the septics that will mysteriously emerge to show everyone how it’s done. Yes I know the US weren’t actually at war then, but what’s that got to do with it?

I suppose the spin pre-publicity is a fair pointer that this drama will be ‘based upon’ rather than factual, as after all it’s being made for entertainment/bums on seats - no?

Take the blurb:
    ”Now the extraordinary life of the man who coined and lived by the phrase 'Who dares wins' " actually it’s a condensed version of that of Sir Roger Keyes, ‘He Most Prevails Who Nobly Dares’.

”Stirling, who had been thrown out of Cambridge for gambling and drinking,” which he continued in the services and was known by his fellow officers as ‘The Great Sloth’, ”was 26 when he came up with the idea of "special forces" as he served with the Commandos in the Second World War.” err, the Commandos were Special Forces as were the SBS, Para-commandos and LRDG which all preceded Stirling’s L Detachment, or rather initially, ‘Stirling’s Parashots’.

”Frustrated and bored with the lack of action” faced with disbandment of Layforce and particularly his own Commando, No.8, and thereafter reassignment to another Commando, his former Scots Guards Reg. or another post – probably in Africa, ”he persuaded senior officers” an old family friend Maj. Gen. Neil Ritchie, ”to let him assemble a small clandestine force to inflict terror and destruction on the German lines in North Africa.

Despite numerous setbacks, his rag-tag unit of around 60 misfits”
    err….like Jock Lewis (no Lewis no SAS), almost all men were of No.8 and No.11 Commando, the latter blooded on the Litani, ”went on to destroy more than 400 aircraft, hundreds of vehicles and thousands of tons of fuel and munitions. Not only that but the nature of warfare was changed forever.” In what way?

”Since then the Special Air Service has taken part in operations in Afghanistan, Vietnam, and the Falklands. Its finest hour in recent history” for the media, “came during the Iranian Embassy siege in London in 1980, when 30 soldiers freed 24 hostages.” Quite right, just wonder how well they will show how the SAS evolved to meet new and changing roles when they were reformed after WWII?

No.9

3. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I'll expect U571 so as not to be upset by this...

4. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Looks like HandMade Films will be the production company so I'll hope against all hope that it will turn out to be a good flick.
    After all, they did make Privates on Parade. :D

5. I wonder how much of the film will be on Blair Mayne

6. errr the company seems to be a UK company so what does Hollywood have to do with this?

7. No doubt he will amazingly be transmogrified into a Canadian?

8. "errr the company seems to be a UK company so what does Hollywood have to do with this?"

1. Where's the money come from?
    2. Where's the bigger market?

No.9

9. Bollywood?

Would be interesting to see Stirling break into song.

10. 4th Indian Div. should be authentic then?

No.9

11. Perhaps this is a new role for Mr Bliar when he leaves politics?

12. So it would be the fault of the Yank movie people if British film makers distrort British military history? Even for Arrse this is a stretch.

13. Know a bit about film making do you? How are you on distribution?

No.9

14. Well I hope it will be better than the birth of the CIA (The good Shepherd)

That film was fcuking tonk