SAS book query

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by SnakeBite, Sep 10, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know i am opening myself up for no end of abuse for being accused as a walt or whatever, but who cares.

I read a book years ago, before the current multitude of ex-SAS autobiographies came out.

The guy concerned was ex-RE and had been in most of the major ops in the 70's and 80's including dhofar, the Falklands and the Iranian embassy siege. Another noteworthy chapter was when he was thrown out of 22 and had to go through Selection again to get back in. I also sort of remember the particularily moving chapter at the end when he visited the Regimental graveyard.

It was years ago i read it, and cannot for the life of me remember what the title, author or anything was. Does this strike a bell with anyone? I don't normally go for the usual "i was SAS and i'm great" books, but this one sticks in my memory for some reason and i wouldnt mind tracking it down again.

2. I suspect that Paul Michael Kennedy, "Soldier 'I"' is the one you want.

3. soldier I

4. Published by Bloomsbury. Just Google "Soldier I" and "Paul Michael Kennedy" (with the quotation marks) and you'll get a couple of links to online stores.

5. Another Excellent Book is "For Queen and Country"

6. You're not SAS and will never be - give in!!!!!

7. 'For Queen and Country' is a good read all right, no bulls*it, just tells it like it is.

8. And the author is genuine, a bledy excellent lad, a nutter, but good lad! the detail of the Battle for Goose Green is simply phenomenal, told like it is/was adrenaline pumping, shit scared but knowing to survive and to win the battle they had to keep going forward, when they get to infront of the school for the first time they realise all their mates followed their lead and are there at the decisive moment... And who says we don't have the best Army in the World?!!! certainly the Americans would achieve the same result but I doubt they could do it with the same savagely outnumbered number of men, they took something like 1500+ prisoners didn't they?!

Respect to S*&^ and his mates who in true British style overcame all the odds (and not just in FI!!!)

9. Just read Warner's book (circa 1970) "The Special Air Service" - concentrates on NA, the Aegean, France and Borneo. Its a cracking, well-researched read. Much better than the "and then my seventh wife left me, so in a drunken fit of self-reflection, I saved the world/sat in an iraqi prison/festered in Belize/Cuba etc etc etc. Sillitoe, Mayne, Lassen, Fiennes, The Stirlings, Calvert - just that much more interesting than "mcnab" "ryan" or any other bandwagon author who has allowed his publisher to put flames/bullet holes on the cover of his book.

10. There is a copy of soldier I on Ebay at the Mo for 49p but you will have to be quick!

11. Your Welcome