SAS and the SLR

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by REMEbrat, Sep 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We all know the SAS get pretty much a free choice on their personal choice of weaponry (M16/Minimi in GW1) but what was their opinion of the SLR during the 60s, 70s and early 80s?

Did SAS patrols generally choose this weapon at all or did they favour smaller weapons with smaller calibre ammunition?

2. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

I spoke to an ex hereford man who lives in my village. All I knew was that he was ex-forces and retired (he is in his 60's now). When I go home I mow the lawns/do general gardening stuff as a part time job, and once he found out that I was in he showed me a few photos of him in uniform.

After a few combat indicators I pinged what mob he used to be in. In pretty much every photo of him in green he had an slr, as did most of the guys in the photos. There's one photo in a desert place (Oman?) with him and 5 other geezers, 3 slrs and 3 gpmgs!

Hope this helps.

3. 7.62 because of longer ranges encountered in eg. Oman, Djebel etc?

4. Im reading that No mean soldier book by Peter Mcallese and he said that when they got offerd to use what ever weapon they wanted to use all the Ex SAS and British Amy lads choose the SLR and the GPMG!

5. In the Malayan emergency they used the forerunner of the SLR which was the FN,and as somebody has already mentioned,the SLR was widely used in the middle east ops,Borneo saw the use of the AR15's

6. I had an ex-Aussie SAS guy on one of my courses (he had transferred to the RAAF for some reason) who said that if they were doing jungle work one of the team always took an SLR with the barrel cut back.

When I said that it would affect the accuracy, he said that accuracy wasn't the issue, what was more important was the psychological effect of the heavier bullet chewing up the foliage in the vicinity of the enemy - it really made them keep their heads down!

7. Early eighties it was 2 x SLR and 2 x AR15 per patrol

8. In all the time I served (which was 1779 until 1988) I never heard a single British squaddie ever utter a bad word about the SLR. Mind you, a few weren't very happy with the very damp powder we got during the Peninsula Campaign, but that's another story.

But seriously, the SLR was by far the very best weapon the British Army ever had. I can't think why they got rid of it. I f'ckin' loved it!

MsG

9. Mid to late 80s, also true. Pump action shotgun also, maybe.

10. Jesus!!!!!!! How many bars to your LS&GC? :eek:

11. During the Falklands in '82 it was all AR-15s and Colt XM177s if I remember reading rightly (awell as gimpys of course :) ). Must have been a few SLRs used though, quite surprised if there weren't what with the open terrain suiting the L1A1 with its larger round and greater accuracy.

Off topic, but whats the difference between the AR-15 and the M16 A1 that was being used by the Yanks at the time? They both look identical to me.

12. How many bars? The medal ribbons's two foot long to accommodate 'em all! I have to wear a special bracket on me left shoulder to support it. :D :D :D :D :D

MsG

13. Cocking handle. ??????????

14. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

In the Armoury the SLR/SMG/LMG was a piece of pish to service! Quick oil,run a bore gauge thru it,check firing pin protrusion,work the action & back in the rack.When we got the L85/L861's,nearly every fecking week we were modifying the bloody things!!

15. '60's - SLR x 3 + CAR15 or Remington Wingmaster shotgun (lead scout)
    '70's - SLR's predominently (Op Storm)
    '80's - SLR's very early, HK G3's replaced thereby keeping a 7.62 'punch'