SAS and 44 patt water bottles

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by REMEbrat, Jan 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have seen several different pictures of SAS prefered belt kit from the late 70s and 80s and the troopers all seem to have a penchant for the '44 pattern water bottles.
    How were the old metal '44 bottles better then the improved '58 bottles for the special forces trooper?
  2. :frustrated: WALT ALERT! :pissedoff:
  3. You must be bored mate!
  4. They make the water taste nicer apparently
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

They freeze solid, use a 58 pattern in your 44 pouch!
  6. Yes and no.

It's something that has puzzled me for some time. Here we have simply the best fighting regiment in the world, can get their hands on absolutely whatever kit they want and yet they chose (still choose?) a metal water bottle of WW2 spec.
    I've seen more up to date pictures of SAS kit with US alice ('44 type) bottles.
    What is so wrong with '58 bottles?????
  7. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Up until PLCE came in, the basic SAS webbing issue was: belt, ammo pouch (the webbing twin armalite pouches), ration pouch and two times 44 pattern water bottles and pouches. F*ck knows why. I suppose the rationale for this was that all the pouches were on loops rather than clips, so they wouldn't fall off. I imagine they stuck with the 44 water bottles because they fitted inside the 44 mugs in the water bottle pouches, whereas the 58 pattern bottles didn't fit so well.
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I was shown a demo by an old mate sadly kia at Goose Green as to why he in 2 Para carried meatl 44 pattern waterbottles. He showed us how to make an ied from one, more effective than a nylon bottle there!
  9. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Agreed, plus the mug could be used for cooking in.
  10. The Paras had 44 Pattern in the 50's, instead of the 37 Pattern everyone else had, perhaps they were just a hangover from then (since a good deal of the SAS seem to be ex-Para)?
  11. Call me an old softie but you could always stick it on the fire and turn it into a kettle; once you have made your brew (and your muckers) you then have a hot water bottle with the aid of a sock over it to stop you burning your todger.
    Don't they teach you lot anything at walt school these days. :roll:
  12. Seen the pouches used for all sorts of things without the water bottles
  13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Better pouch - no stoopid buckle.
    Can heat up and cook in metal cup, not possible with plastic.
    Can create various inventive IED's with the metal bottle.

Plastic bottles gained in popularity when the S10 gaspirator/drinking straw was intro'd. Metal cups with black nasty around the rim became order of the day.
  14. Mainly 'cos you could de-frost the metal waterbottle on a fire if the contents froze in winter. Use as a kettle/hot-water-bottle are merely fringe benefits, but the metal mug would be useful too.
  15. 58 bottles split when they freeze - never had a 44 pattern bottle do that.