SAS – Bravo Three Zero.

SAS – Bravo Three Zero.

Cynical

LE
Book Reviewer
I wonder if the SAS patrols achieved anything in the Iraqi desert that Infantry or Cavalry recce patrols couldn't also have achieved (given an intensive beat up and the ability to cherrypick extra Support Company men).
IT was the insertion way behind the FEBA, which would be a tad challenging for an AFV (or landrover on its tracks wheels.
In GW1 Recce for 7 Bde (when only 7 Bde was in theatre) had similar concerns when it was grouped with USMC - lots of practice underslung below CH53, which is - I suspect - a rather inferior method of insertion to internal in a Chinook

I wonder if the SAS patrols achieved anything in the Iraqi desert that Infantry or Cavalry recce patrols couldn't also have achieved (given an intensive beat up and the ability to cherrypick extra Support Company men).
Great idea. They could call them........Rangers. You rotter, why couldn't you have submitted this brilliant idea six months earlier. You would have been Nick Carters best mate forever. He may even have made you SEAC. He was desperate to find a role for his love children. As it is, Radical Radkin will probably bin them as he is desperate to find a role for his own love children- Future Commando Force.

Last edited:
Great idea. They could call them........Rangers. You rotter, why couldn't you have submitted this brilliant idea six months earlier. You would have been Nick Carters best mate forever.
What a genuinely revolting thought...

No, it was more than that. It involved the alleged shooting of some specific individuals after capture. This was in the book written by Bramley.

I'm sure this has been done to death probably in FI related threads.
it was known that some Argentinean troops had some cross training experience with US Forces* so some could easily have US English ergo, sounds like a Yank... becomes a Yank. AFAIK - no US citizens have made noise about their relis being killed by Brits.
* But... I would have thought most likely Argentinean Marines/USMC therefore I would assume Tumbledown.
Argentinean officers could be a different case cropping up elsewhere (that's my speculation there).
I did my BPC when a party involved with the Longdon incident was there. Another attendee, now a mate, was known to him (he was 1 PARA so wasn't in FI) but flagged his rep.
Years later, I met a Longdon veteran so we were throwing names around and he gave a thumbnail sketch. I imagine these things may be revised for the FI 40th and some of the excellent content from jimmyoc etc be reviewed.

Due to Puerto Hughes having Welsh as a second language it may well have been that there were more Welsh speakers amongst the Argentineans than the Brits let alone English speakers - Polo, Harrods etc.

PS if it was a Mein plough surely that would have been 32 Armoured Farmers RE

ETA Just read/concur wot @par avion said earlier

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm sure this has been done to death probably in FI related threads.
it was known that some Argentinean troops had some cross training experience with US Forces* so some could easily have US English ergo, sounds like a Yank... becomes a Yank. AFAIK - no US citizens have made noise about their relis being killed by Brits.
* But... I would have thought most likely Argentinean Marines/USMC therefore I would assume Tumbledown.
Argentinean officers could be a different case cropping up elsewhere (that's my speculation there).
I did my BPC when a party involved with the Longdon incident was there. Another attendee, now a mate, was known to him (he was 1 PARA so wasn't in FI) but flagged his rep.
Years later, I met a Longdon veteran so we were throwing names around and he gave a thumbnail sketch. I imagine these things may be revised for the FI 40th and some of the excellent content from jimmyoc etc be reviewed.

Due to Puerto Hughes having Welsh as a second language it may well have been that there were more Welsh speakers amongst the Argentineans than the Brits let alone English speakers - Polo, Harrods etc.

PS if it was a Mein plough surely that would have been 32 Armoured Farmers RE

ETA Just read/concur wot @par avion said earlier
Be clear: I don't personally think that there were any Americans there.

I've got the original book in the attic somewhere but haven't read it in years.

@par avion is spot on - it was investigated and NFAed.

I'll see at some stage if I can find the book.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
It's only been 40 years. Sooner or later the truth will out ^~

FFS, Bletchley Park was busted within 3 decades of its closure: what chance is there that a bunch of hired guns could beat that degree of OPSEC?

And where are the folk with the lifetime Soldier of Fortune subscriptions asking "Gee, whatever happened to Cletus, Elmer, Leroy and Billy-Bob, last I heard of them they were getting some neat mercenary job in Latin America, somewhere called Mall Venus? Nobody's seen them in, like, forever, and they don't even write home no more..."

WhiteCrane

Old-Salt
And where are the folk with the lifetime Soldier of Fortune subscriptions asking "Gee, whatever happened to Cletus, Elmer, Leroy and Billy-Bob, last I heard of them they were getting some neat mercenary job in Latin America, somewhere called Mall Venus? Nobody's seen them in, like, forever, and they don't even write home no more..."
Is like the rumors of Brit SAS in Vietnam. If it did happen, surely in the 90's what with Mcnabb, Ryan, and co, it would have come out! But it did not!

Be clear: I don't personally think that there were any Americans there.

I've got the original book in the attic somewhere but haven't read it in years.

@par avion is spot on - it was investigated and NFAed.

Its all detailed in Green Eyed Boys; 3 Para And The Battle For Mount Longdon Christian Jennings & Adrian Weale 1995.

I'll save you the trouble. Page 189/90. Back in Aldershot, after leave Bramley was with a guy from B Company he met in the Pay Office. Walking towards the Naafi, The soldier, who wished to remain anonymous was leaving the Army, having being wounded so badly that his army career was over.

The soldier, with soldier X were pinned down by a group of rocks by a sniper when they saw a group of four Argentines crawling towards them. He blew the brains out of one of them with his SLR and the other three screamed"no shooting"

They dragged them into their position, then some of their Company did an assault through their position that left their position more secure. X wanted to waste the prisoners and move on. A Platoon sergeant came crawling up to them. They questioned them for a few minutes, they all spoke perfect English and praised the British soldiering. The sergeant left and returned after ten minutes or so. He took X aside while soldier Anom guarded the prisoners. X came back to him and said "get them over this ridge quickly."

They pushed the prisoners the fifteen metres, out of view, then suddenly X let rip, shooting them all dead. X said "I helped to make sure they were completely dead, if you know what I mean." Vince said to him "So what, why the big scene?' "Vince, look mate they were Yanks. Orders came from above to waste them, mate." " Howdid you know they were Yanks.Speaking with that accent may only mean that they are schooled there?" " They told us Vince. That was their mistake. After all lets look at it this way, politically both Maggie and Ronnie were meant to be helping each other in this war. The existance of Yank mercenaries can't be in the best interests of the higher ranks, can it?"

Four and a half later, in 1987, Bramley spoke to X in a London pub. X was now also out of the army. He confirmed the stoty in every way. The existance of US mercanaries was common knowledge among the Paras. X was told to keep his mouth shut or something bad might happen. The Government didn't like the story.

So there you have it. A story related second hand/hearsay related by an anonymous soldier on the way back from the Naafi and confirmed four and a half years later by another anonymous soldier in the pub. But everyone in the battalion knew the story (except for Vince). Whats known as a complete load of b*llocks.

He also relates that just after the battle, on the 13th June four Argentinian jets flew so low over his position he could see one of the pilots. The jets went onto attack the Brigade HQ knowing exactly where to aim they bombed it several times in a series of runs. It was only by luck that no one was killed. The pilot managed to hit the command tent. By a miracle, no one was occupying it at the time of the strike. Hmm, I have never heard this one before in any official accounts of the battle?

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I'll save you the trouble. Page 189/90. Back in Aldershot, after leave Bramley was with a guy from B Company he met in the Pay Office. Walking towards the Naafi, The soldier, who wished to remain anonymous was leaving the Army, having being wounded so badly that his army career was over.

The soldier, with soldier X were pinned down by a group of rocks by an sniper when they saw a group of four Argentines crawling towards them. He blew the brains out of one of them with his SLR and the other three screamed"no shooting"

They dragged them into their position, then some of their Company did an assault through their position that left their position more secure. X wanted to waste the prisoners and move on. A Platoon sergeant came crawling up to them. They questioned them for a few minutes, they all spoke perfect English and praised the British soldiering. The sergeant left and returned after ten minutes or so. He took X aside while soldier Anom guarded the prisoners. X came back to him and said "get them over this ridge quickly."

They pushed the prisoners the fifteen metres, out of view, then suddenly X let rip, shooting them all dead. X said "I helped to make sure they were completely dead, if you know what I mean." Vince said to him "So what, why the big scene?' "Vince, look mate they were Yanks. Orders came from above to waste them, mate." " Howdid you know they were Yanks.Speaking with that accent may only mean that they are schooled there?" " They told us Vince. That was their mistake. After all lets look at it this way, politically both Maggie and Ronnie were meant to be helping each other in this war. The existance of Yank mercenaries can't be in the best interests of the higher ranks, can it?"

Four and a half later, in 1987, Bramley spoke to X in a London pub. X was now also out of the army. He confirmed the stoty in every way. The existance of US mercanaries was common knowledge among the Paras. X was told to keep his mouth shut or something bad might happen. The Government didn't like the story.

So there you have it. A story related second hand/hearsay related by an anonymous soldier on the way back from the Naafi and confirmed four and a half years later by another anonymous soldier in the pub. But everyone in the battalion knew the story (except for Vince). Whats known as a complete load of b*llocks.

He also relates that just after the battle, on the 13th June for Argentinian jets flew so low over his position he could see one of the pilots. The jets went onto attack the Brigade HQ knowing exactly where to aim they bombed it several times in a series of runs. It was only by luck that no one was killed. The pilot managed to hit the command tent. By a miracle, no one was occupying it at the time of the strike. Hm, I have never heard this one before in any official accounts of the battle?
Which is not a million miles from what I've been saying - not bad considering it was a book I read 20-some years ago.

Anyway. Shall be crack on and argue over something else? :-D

Latest Threads