• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Sarkozy; calls for "Entente amicale"

I've been listening to the French President with a mixture of astonishment and delight. He is calling for a completely new and much improved relationship between the UK and France; he is being incredibly generous in his praise of the UK and I think I've seen the start of a new age in the relationship between the two countries.

He is even saying he'll increase the French presence in Afghan.

Anyone else caught this?

I would entente big time his Mrs

she has to be the best looking "first lady" type person

well at least since Hilary CLinton moved on and Ian Paisley wife doesnt count

I remember hearing him say something like "Britain has the most significant military in Europe" (but he said it in French, biensur!)

Entente Comicale. If the French want an agreement then it's for their benefit not ours. Mrs S looked better than he 1993 pic in the Sun though and the pageantry was first class.

I have to say, I really couldn't believe my ears when I heard him addressing parliament today

"On behalf of the people of France, France will never forget. France will never forget that when it was virtually wiped out, down on its knees, it was Britain who stood by us.

"France will never forget the heroic resistance of the British people without which all would have been lost."
OK, they are obviously sniffing for a slice of a huge nuclear power generation programme, but it makes a refreshing change from the usual nationalist cr*ap.

And his missus did look fairly fit, too

F

fozzy

pyrogenica said:
OK, they are obviously sniffing for a slice of a huge nuclear power generation programme, but it makes a refreshing change from the usual nationalist cr*ap.

And his missus did look fairly fit, too
The new Mrs S, is indeed quite a fox.

Be good if they built us some Nuclear Power Plants and a decent High Speed Rail network!

Bravo_Bravo said:
I've been listening to the French President with a mixture of astonishment and delight. He is calling for a completely new and much improved relationship between the UK and France; he is being incredibly generous in his praise of the UK and I think I've seen the start of a new age in the relationship between the two countries.

He is even saying he'll increase the French presence in Afghan.

Anyone else caught this?

M
Very curious.

Almost without exception contributors to ARRSE have a very healthy and well justified contempt for the British political class.

Sarkozy is not British, but that doesn’t make him any more credible than our own politicians.

Can’t remember who said it and I am probably misquoting, but - “There are no permanent allies, there are only national interests”.

What was that old joke about the perfect Europe?

Heaven is a Europe where the British are the policemen, the French are the chefs, the Italians are the lovers, the Germans the engineers, and everything organised by the Swiss.

What we've ended up with is a Europe where the Germans are the policeman, the British are the chefs, the Swiss the lovers, the French the engineers, and everything organised by the Italians

I have a healthy mistrust of all Europeans, especially the French, but I live in hope that my prejudices will be proved groudless

pyrogenica said:
I have to say, I really couldn't believe my ears when I heard him addressing parliament today

"On behalf of the people of France, France will never forget. France will never forget that when it was virtually wiped out, down on its knees, it was Britain who did it to us at Waterloo.

A much more accurate quote.

Balleh said:
Can’t remember who said it and I am probably misquoting, but - “There are no permanent allies, there are only national interests”.
Lord Palmerstone and, no, you're not misquoting.

It'll be a cold day in Hell when the Frogs are trustworthy.

What they've realised is that the Boxheads are a spent force in Europe, they are skint after bringingg the easties up to speed and they aren't committed to doing anything militarily or economically FOR the French plan of a unified Europe. What Sarkozy is hoping is that if he flatters us then Cyclops will collaborate with him on a unified Europe, especially since the call for that pesky referendum has been quashed. Cynical or what?

rockpile said:
pyrogenica said:

"On behalf of the people of France, France will never forget. France will never forget that when it was virtually wiped out, down on its knees, it was Britain who did it to us at Waterloo.

Reminds me of a no doubt apocryphal story, of a French politician who arrived at Waterloo station and complained to the Station Master (we had them once!) about the British naming many of their important places after battles in which they had defeated the French.

The Brit replied that the French were welcome to reciprocate – if they could.

rockpile said:

Err, it was the Prussians what did it...

Well... the fledgling EUSSR does need some thoroughly sound leadership and direction, so where else are they going to get it from if not these shores?

In-Limbo said:
Well... the fledgling EUSSR does need some thoroughly sound leadership and direction, so where else are they going to get it from if not these shores?
With Blair as President? You must be joking.