Sarkozy: Arabic the "language of the future"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by fantassin, Oct 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Published on The Brussels Journal (

Sarkozy: “Arabic Is the Language of the Future”
    By Tiberge

Created 2008-10-14 11:14

The French government is strongly advocating the teaching of Arabic language and civilization in French schools. Not surprising, considering the number of Arabs and Muslims in France, and the unctuous deference with which they are treated by officials, beginning notably with Nicolas Sarkozy, who cannot praise enough the splendor of Arabic contributions to the world.

The French National Assembly was the scene of a meeting earlier this month of the first Conference on the Teaching of Arabic Language and Culture, attended by a variety of interested parties. There was much wearisome blather about the need for "dialogue."

In his message to the participants, French President Nicolas Sarkozy called Arabic the "language of the future, of science and of modernity," and expressed the hope that "more French people share in the language that expresses great civilizational and spiritual values."

"We must invest in the Arabic language (because) to teach it symbolizes a moment of exchange, of openness and of tolerance, (and it) brings with it one of the oldest and most prestigious civilizations of the world. It is in France that we have the greatest number of persons of Arabic and Muslim origin. Islam is the second religion of France," Sarkozy reminded his listeners.

More at:

I am not so sure of my avatar right now...
  2. I never thought I would say this...

I'm on the French blokes side
  3. It's nicely wrapped up, but the message is "Know your Enemy".
  4. All part of the course for a Gaullist like Sarko surely?
  5. Oh M. le President has a marvellous sense of humour :D

Is the French President allowed to do wahs :?:
  6. Especially at football matches:
  7. Maybe he's just getting the country ready for a bit of collaboration after the next invasion. Seven Ps and all that
  8. So that will be 2 useless languages French kids will be able to speak in.
  9. France has surrendered in advance
  10. I'm still putting my money on Mandarin. Nin zhī dao tā yǒu dào lǐ.
  11. Surely arabic will only be a useful language as long as they have something we want. When is the oil due to run out? When will the boffins come up with a practical replacement for fossil fuel energy generation?

If it's less than 30 years for either of the above, IMHO it's rather pointless to make a drive to general learning of arabic.

And there's always the chance of the middle east becoming an instant glass topped parking lot at any time.

Teach our kids to speak English LOUDLY and slowly. It worked for three centuries of Empire.
  12. msr

msr LE

And sadly the thinking which got us into the empire was not the thinking which allowed us to keep it...

13. Nobody ever keeps an Empire in the long run, as I'm sure the spams will be finding out soon!
  14. Think Sarkozy may be changing his mind after this incident

Suspect the only Arabic the CRS will need to learn is going to be "Stop, Or I'll slot you, you little arabic merde"
  15. white robes white flags well matched