SAR to be cut by 50%?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by vvaannmmaann, Mar 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Yes, because the contract is for availability, not for airframes. PPRUNE is quoting about a 1/4 of the downtime required between a civ-maintained helicopter and a military one.

Add into that the fact the blokes are paid to maintain and fly helicopters, not be DOs, Mess Reps, Affiliation Officers, Officers of the Day, Duty Senior Rate, Duty JR for the base etc etc, means they don't need to over-man the 'squadrons'.

It's a paradigm the Military should be very interesting in reviewing.

Bristows to take over SAR from 2015 - PPRuNe Forums - if you want to have a look.

• Like Like x 4
  2. But what of the Duke and his career? Katie will have to be a washer women or something.

3. Instructor at Shawbury?

4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

I assume the raf/navy will continue to maintain its own SAR ability though which should cut the workload from civvies ringing up and asking for some sandwiches to be brought up to them.

william can move to the carriers as they wont be going anywhere or have any planes before he becomes king.

5. The RN will, as the SAR capability is inherent in being an aviator at sea; the RAF SAR trade will simply go (albeit they've already been taken as a saving previously, so they were living on borrowed time).

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Grumblegrunt

good job raf aircrews never have to eject then.

7. RAF aircrews rarely eject out of range of an airbase on solid land: ergo they can use land-based, civilian provided, SAR cover.

8. Grumblegrunt

RAF/NAVY crews fly in really shitty weather though - will the civvy lot get grounded more often like the rig fleet due to health and safety constraints?

personally I think we should upgrade the coastguard similar to the US model.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Nope, according to a civ SAR pilot on PPRUNE, the regs they fly too - CAP999 - says:

My bold.

10. Its bullshit though isn't it?

The RN and RAF have 16 operational SAR helicopters at any one time, not the 40 alluded too.
    I would have thought the loss of Nimrod was a far greater loss to SAR than privatisation of helicopter SAR

Bristow's are saying availability will be 20 aircraft rather than the 16 currently available so its actually a big increase in SAR capability

11. Laughs as he recalls the great failed mantra of 'Provider to Decider'.

12. Will 'Erics' be flying from existing SAR locations, such as Culdrose.
    The Erics pilots that I worked with in FI were very professional and competent.
    Still don't agree with the removal of RAF or RN SAR capability.

CG

13. Catch up with the hatchet job that has been done on HM Coastguard under the guise of "modernisation"

14. "RAF/NAVY crews fly in really shitty weather though - will the civvy lot get grounded more often like the rig fleet due to health and safety constraints?"

They've been doing it in shitty weather for over 30 years without complaint or attention. This is just extending a service which works well already, and which is a similar model to that carried out in most other countries.

There were some good posts on PPRUNE pointing out that despite the SAR empire getting smaller, its admin overhead has significantly increased. No disrespect to the lads on the ground, but a lot of admin empire careers have been made out of the SAR force...

• Like Like x 1