Sappers Headress

'pologies if this has been asked before, but what is the significance of the khaki SD cap worn by the corporal in this photo?

He's duty Bumhole this week.

If any of the lads in the block fancy a bit but they haven't trapped, duty Bumhole has to take one for the team.

It's a Sapper thing and dates back to the Peninsula War.

Help a layman out here, chaps...

Why are some equipped with red capbands and some not?

Why's the staff/colour sergeant (??) in the ranks whilst his junior (in rank) is stood proud on the end with swagger stick?

He’s not standing in the ranks, he’s next to the R/H marker..
Is he? Bit hard to tell on my 'phone screen. Why's the corporal with the swagger stick and WWI-looking lid stood out to the side, then?

So it's a mix or RE and REME? Is that usual? I thought they were two distinct and separate units/regiments/thingies? Or is that just when it comes to a bit of well-lubricated rivalry spilling out of the pub into a ruck in the street on a Friday night...?

Why's the staff/colour sergeant (??) in the ranks whilst his junior (in rank) is stood proud on the end with swagger stick?
Looks like Sig’s or REME.

The staffy is a wedge, and as @HLD DMR says, he's to the right of the right marker. Red bands are REME guys, the others are all sappers.

Still doesn't explain the throwback hat on the drill pig though. Pre-para? :)

I'm not an ex-Sapper but this is my understanding.
Caps, SD are traditionally worn by RE drill instructors.
Although the hats date back to circa 1904, and were generally replaced by berets or GS caps on the introduction of battledress, they were retained by such units as RMP, Household Brigade, RHA, and so on. Some units kept them to be worn by individuals, presumably to stand out among the berets and as a badge of office.
This would typically include Drill Instructors and unit provost staff.
The RE retained this form of headdress for DIs when the No1 dress hat became general issue.
They also retained the brown leather belt from the Service Dress period for DI's but this seems to have morphed into something different for the guy in the picture.

Perhaps an ex-Sapper old & bold could verify

Its a Pace stick not a Swagger stick.
Pace stick is used for exactly what it states,it can be adjusted to diffrent paces or spaces between ranks. Unscrewing the brass screw the pace stick opens up and is hinged,once you set the pace/distance screw it back up.

Its a Pace stick not a Swagger stick.
Pace stick is used for exactly what it states,it can be adjusted to diffrent paces or spaces between ranks. Unscrewing the brass screw the pace stick opens up and is hinged,once you set the pace/distance screw it back up.
So it is (looking at a big picture on a big screen now, not actiddly one on my 'phone).

Khaki SD caps are used by HCR, RMP, RE (DIs), RHA, RA (SMIGs), MPGS, and provost staff in some infantry regiments whilst in barrack dress.

As an indication of how sad I am, I perused Dress Regulations (it was a response to someone's FOI request and runs into more than 1200 pages...).

It seems that for minor parades, the officer in charge can elect to wear a FAD (khaki) cap and, if he does so, ORs also have to wear FAD caps instead of the trusty No.1.

Do the people who come up with Dress Regulations think there is a bottomless purse for pointless clothing? What's wrong with a beret?

Khaki SD caps are used by HCR, RMP, RE (DIs), RHA, RA (SMIGs), MPGS, and provost staff in some infantry regiments whilst in barrack dress.
Not worn in RMP since the 1970s.