Sapper Peter Shippey,killed on exercise in Germany May 1967

P Shippey.jpg

Gents, bit of a long shot, but I met his sister whilst collecting for the Poppy Appeal this year and hopefully through the power of the internet will be able to reunite his sister with some of those that served with Peter or remember the incident. I have given her the details of claiming for the Elizabeth Cross as I think she is entitled using, Eligibility :-Those who died on a non-medal earning operational task where death has been caused by the inherent high risk of the task.
I have her permission to seek anyone who remembers and hopefully they will either message me or post on here. please feel free to share on any RE or BAOR groups. The youngest who would remember will be in their late 60s by my matelot reckoning. Many thanks

Last edited:
Long before my time in green, but what an awful way to go.
Deepest sympathies to her, and the best of luck in your search.

I have given her the details of claiming for the Elizabeth Cross as I think she is entitled using, Eligibility :-Those who died on a non-medal earning operational task where death has been caused by the inherent high risk of the task.
I cannot of course give a definitive answer but my feeling is, that as he is commemorated on the National Armed Forces Memorial, (as indeed he is,) my opinion is that the eligibility is fulfilled for the award of the Elisabeth Cross.

I cannot of course give a definitive answer but my feeling is, that as he is commemorated on the National Armed Forces Memorial, (as indeed he is,) my opinion is that the eligibility is fulfilled for the award of the Elisabeth Cross.
A tragic accident but I wouldn't hold out much hope for the Elizabeth Cross. It was an exercise, not an operation and I doubt that driving in a benign environment will be considered to be an inherent risk.

A tragic accident but I wouldn't hold out much hope for the Elizabeth Cross. It was an exercise, not an operation and I doubt that driving in a benign environment will be considered to be an inherent risk.
You are quite likely correct;
However, the MOD does make a distinction between when evaluation for those names to appear on both the NAFM and the Roll of Honour; or the Roll of Honour only and that distinction is sometimes a difficult call.
I think an application for the EC is worth a shot but of course it may be refused.