Sandies/Sandys Home for soldiers?

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by BANDSMAN69, Apr 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a thought Sandies/Sandy's homes for soldiers, there use to be one in Palace Barracks Holywood nr Belfast an old wooden building is it still there?

Are Sandies still on the go..does any one know?

2. I'm sure there's still one down in Ballykinler.

3. Correct. There was also one at Ballykelly (if it still exisits).

4. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

The BGT in Catterick used to be one

5. I have fond memories of the one in Catterick correct me if am wrong did it not have an indoor swimming pool in the basement.

6. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

yes it did, we are showing our age here :lol:

7. Sadly...yes

8. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I learnt to swim there back as a school boy.

9. There is one still alive and well in Pirbright , well there was at least two years ago. Still there with the bible in there top left !

10. Yeah was in today for a brew and sausage bap :lol:

11. Take a look on Google Earth...

Attached Files:

12. Was still alive and kicking last weekend, didn't go in so can't comment on the Bible/lack of!

13. Went in last month with a couple of other 'Civvies (attached)', one of whom declared to the bod behind the bar that he'd had his first drink in the army in 1949 in that Sandes (next to the Guard Room of the day). They gave him a free mug of tea, but as he wasn't paying for the round he complained all day that someone else got his free tea. Typical drummer - whinge whinge tick purge.

14. Is that the one by the Post Office Car Park and the pipe school?