• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Sandhurst

I have been advised to try and become an officer from the careers office.

But I am not sure I would pass the RCB because I think I am not "officer material". - so that idea is flawed.

I have a few A Levels and currently studying for a degree but I am dropping out for the Army.

I was looking to start out as a soldier in the REME as a vehicle mechanic, if in a few years time when I have experience could I try for the commission then or would it be really difficult? I am looking at the Army as a long term career rather than just doing the minimum.

Thanks for your help.

Haha been told that quite a bit now, nah can't hack accounting and finance and then getting a mundane job in an office!

Just is it possible to work your way up or will it take aaages?

the_watsonator said:
I have been advised to try and become an officer from the careers office. Perhaps you should listen to them...?

But I am not sure I would pass the RCB because I think I am not "officer material". - so that idea is flawed. Utter rubbish. There is no such thing as 'officer material' unless you mean a modicum of raw leadership ability (which RMAS will develop) and the relentless desire to self-motivate and encourage others. Don't sell yourself short - there are plenty of people in this life who will do this for you!

I have a few A Levels and currently studying for a degree but I am dropping out for the Army. You are a moron, frankly. Stick with the degree, join the OTC (and I can't believe I said that!) and re-examine the options. What about the Int Corps?

I was looking to start out as a soldier in the REME as a vehicle mechanic, if in a few years time when I have experience could I try for the commission then or would it be really difficult? I am looking at the Army as a long term career rather than just doing the minimum. If you are after a career, which involves commissioning, why bother joining as a tom? I did, and apart from having a hoot with zero responsibility, effectively wasted 7 years of my life before going to RMAS.
At least consider the wiser words you may receive on this site...? :D

Yes, it can be done, but if YOU dont think you're officer material, its unlikely that WE will.
You may be better off joining the ranks, and working your way to the top as a SNCO, which is, arguably, a superior creature anyway.

Calypso said:
the_watsonator said:
I have been advised to try and become an officer from the careers office. Perhaps you should listen to them...?

But I am not sure I would pass the RCB because I think I am not "officer material". - so that idea is flawed. Utter rubbish. There is no such thing as 'officer material' unless you mean a modicum of raw leadership ability (which RMAS will develop) and the relentless desire to self-motivate and encourage others. Don't sell yourself short - there are plenty of people in this life who will do this for you!

I have a few A Levels and currently studying for a degree but I am dropping out for the Army. You are a moron, frankly. Stick with the degree, join the OTC (and I can't believe I said that!) and re-examine the options. What about the Int Corps?

I was looking to start out as a soldier in the REME as a vehicle mechanic, if in a few years time when I have experience could I try for the commission then or would it be really difficult? I am looking at the Army as a long term career rather than just doing the minimum. If you are after a career, which involves commissioning, why bother joining as a tom? I did, and apart from having a hoot with zero responsibility, effectively wasted 7 years of my life before going to RMAS.
At least consider the wiser words you may receive on this site...? :D

It might be worth checking out the capbadges of the folks giving you advice and then reading that advice again... :lol:

Yeah you have made a good point there which I majorly overlooked!

There is no point trying to work towards a commission when I could have a chance of starting there.

I just hope I pass the RCB... 8O

Better learn to swim

Ummm...by all means learn to swim, but you won't need to use your new found skills at RCB.

The only swimming you do at RMAS (apart from the general mirth and hilarity that generally ensues during wet PT in the lake) is the Army Swimming Test, which is pretty easy.

Use the time between now and September learning! :D

If you are only handing your application form in now, chances are you wont be going to RMAS until Jan06.

September entry fills quickly and has a long waiting list.

the_watsonator said:
I have been advised to try and become an officer from the careers office.
Why on earth would you want to do that??

But I am not sure I would pass the RCB because I think I am not "officer material". - so that idea is flawed.
They will teach you how to talk with a posh accent, pretend you know what you're doing and fall over doorsteps.

I have a few A Levels and currently studying for a degree but I am dropping out for the Army.
Don't do it, it's not worth it.

I was looking to start out as a soldier in the REME as a vehicle mechanic, if in a few years time when I have experience could I try for the commission then or would it be really difficult? I am looking at the Army as a long term career rather than just doing the minimum.
Being ex REME myself I know that's not a good idea, you still get treated like something somebody stepped in and have to salute 19 year old spotty so called "Academics".
Thanks for your help.

Latest Threads