Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sandhurst September intake composition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Does Ray Huggins participate? I’d like to think so, although it might be a little frivolous for him nowadays.

Ray Huggins was my AcSM back in 1978. He came to a Sovereign's Parade, I think in 2018, still bright as a button and very rude to a former cadet as you would expect and even demand, though rather frail. My old mate, former DSACEUR and DSF and all that, is now the Governor and tells me that Ray is in the Infirmary.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Here they are from last week:

Really good bunch.

Donny

ADC
Ray Huggins was my AcSM back in 1978. He came to a Sovereign's Parade, I think in 2018, still bright as a button and very rude to a former cadet as you would expect and even demand, though rather frail. My old mate, former DSACEUR and DSF and all that, is now the Governor and tells me that Ray is in the Infirmary.
Thanks, he was the AcSM in my time too, also 1978. I was SMC 19 but I vaguely remember from another post that you were an earlier course - 17 or 18? In any event I hope RH makes a recovery - he’s certainly a tough old bird.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Thanks, he was the AcSM in my time too, also 1978. I was SMC 19 but I vaguely remember from another post that you were an earlier course - 17 or 18? In any event I hope RH makes a recovery - he’s certainly a tough old bird.

I was a trendy graduate on POSUC 7 in Victory College. The youngest on my course because I went to university very early. So I graduated and then commissioned and got a platoon of the Queen's finest still aged 20.

Didn't stop the buggers throwing me out of a first floor window in Norway on my 21st. But at least the snow was 6 foot deep and we remain friends.

Donny

ADC
I was a trendy graduate on POSUC 7 in Victory College. The youngest on my course because I went to university very early. So I graduated and then commissioned and got a platoon of the Queen's finest still aged 20.

Didn't stop the buggers throwing me out of a first floor window in Norway on my 21st. But at least the snow was 6 foot deep and we remain friends.
Ah, well we probably didn’t meet during your time at the Academy then, as my sort weren’t allowed the fluffy luxuries of Victory College ;-)

As for the window, quite right too, and thank God for deep snow!

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Ah, well we probably didn’t meet during your time at the Academy then, as my sort weren’t allowed the fluffy luxuries of Victory College ;-)

As you will recall the denim wearing graduates were kept on the other side of the Wish Stream in Surrey whilst the proper Gentleman Cadets were in Berkshire. In the only building to have an architectural prize, 'Building of the Year 1970' from the Concrete Society.

You will know some of my mates, though.

SMC 13 had an overflow in Victory College due to the size of the SMC.
I did see a pair of drill boots fly out of the Victory college accommodation, chucked by a hardened New College C/Sgt who obviously forgot that the Officers car park was below. Kept us smirking during the bulling parade, very funny and a serious set of dents.

As you will recall the denim wearing graduates were kept on the other side of the Wish Stream in Surrey whilst the proper Gentleman Cadets were in Berkshire. In the only building to have an architectural prize, 'Building of the Year 1970' from the Concrete Society.

You will know some of my mates, though.

I was in RoCo at the same time as the last POSUC course. A right shower of shït you lot looked on parade in that random gaggle of uniforms.

My SMC (29) was contemporaneous with SGC1. Slightly better but sword drill is not smart en masse IMHO.

The subject of being defenestration having been raised allows me to recount the true story of a subaltern of my regiment having been thrown out of a window in the WOs’ and Sgts’ Mess in Barker Bks Paderborn.

The mess being dominated by Gunnery Narks thought it a good idea to launch a subbie out of the window in the bar whilst shouting a Chieftain fire order, unfortunately said subaltern was ejected on a Sabot fire order when it should have been a HESH one.

This resulted in the unfortunate victim to shattering his ankle, as this was during the summer and there being no welcoming snow drift to arrest his descent. His comfort was paramount in the minds of the mess members as he was given a chair on which to sit and was able to ask for his beer to be passed down to him whilst awaiting an ambulance. A month in BMH Rinteln followed as the RAMC did their best to repair the ankle.

I know this story to be true as I was that subaltern.

Noted that another 77/78 vintage Guards C/Sgt David Coote of the Grenadiers (ex Guards Para and same vintage as Sid Loveday Scots Guards) is at the RH. Saw him recently on the TV as he had recently beaten Covid. Probably battered it to death with his pace stick.

The subject of being defenestration having been raised allows me to recount the true story of a subaltern of my regiment having been thrown out of a window in the WOs’ and Sgts’ Mess in Barker Bks Paderborn.

The mess being dominated by Gunnery Narks thought it a good idea to launch a subbie out of the window in the bar whilst shouting a Chieftain fire order, unfortunately said subaltern was ejected on a Sabot fire order when it should have been a HESH one.

This resulted in the unfortunate victim to shattering his ankle, as this was during the summer and there being no welcoming snow drift to arrest his descent. His comfort was paramount in the minds of the mess members as he was given a chair on which to sit and was able to ask for his beer to be passed down to him whilst awaiting an ambulance. A month in BMH Rinteln followed as the RAMC did their best to repair the ankle.

I know this story to be true as I was that subaltern.
Yikes. Sadly booze, high jink and windows/swords and waste paper bins don't mix well with subalterns. Although the waste paper bin stunt was carried out by a Field officer who lobbed it down a flight of stairs decking a subaltern. Shed loads of blood as he was wheeled away to the MRS.
I divert, back to the Victory college days and the interesting course nicknamed 'The alphabet kids' or those destined for the clergy and medical services. They were always interesting to watch as we slaved away with our boots in our coveralls!

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
An old mate of mine challenged the WO and Sgts' Mess to throw him (a Coy Comd) out of the window during Christmas drinky-poos in 1992. One of those German messes which are somewhat higher than ground level.

So they did. He broke his wrist but subsequently made it to Maj Gen. At least they opened the window.

We are madly off track here, but thought I'd throw in the tale of an unpopular Bogging Royal ( is there any other kind? ) posted in as Battalion 2ic while we were in Fort George - Inverness, not Londonderry.

On a dinner night we were abseiling from the chimney pots of the mess. 2ic asked to join us, but was reluctantly persuaded that at his age he should probably be careful and go from a high window instead.

"You have done this before, haven't you Charlie?"

"Yes of course, don't be bloody stupid. Pass me the rope"

< Scream.... crunch.... "Hello, guardroom?" >

The_Duke

LE
Locked pending a thread split to leave recruiting topics in recruiting and tales with more than a whiff of stale piss, pipe tobacco and Werthers into the old and bold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads