Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sandhurst September intake composition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard a lot of waffle from different people on the composition of the september intake. Some people tell me it's 100% ex OTC with half the intake already holding reserve commisions and other people tell me it's about 50% OTC and 50% civilian newbies. Can anyone who's been on a Sep intake recently or knows what the composition is give me an idea of the gen is.
Thanks

chimera

LE
Does it matter?

Any perceived advantage the ex-OTC people may have will soon evaporate.

Any perceived advantage the ex-OTC people may have will soon evaporate.
And you’re not competing against others, you’re competing against a standard.

It's a long time since I've had any direct experience of this precise question, but yes, the September intake has a higher proportion of OTC wallahs and Bursars, and no, it doesn't make a difference.

Turns out a few weekends of running around in the woods with students doesn't really carry any water with a Brecon trained, HERRICK hardened Colour Sergeant...

It's a long time since I've had any direct experience of this precise question, but yes, the September intake has a higher proportion of OTC wallahs and Bursars, and no, it doesn't make a difference.

Turns out a few weekends of running around in the woods with students doesn't really carry any water with a Brecon trained, HERRICK hardened Colour Sergeant...
It helps on the basics (weapon handling etc.) But then if you don't help your mates out you will be pulled for it. Not an advantage, but a start.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Here's a sanitised list of the latest course to give the OP a flavour. As others have said, you're not in competition with the others (though there are prizes to be won). It's mainly about teamwork and meeting the required standards.

General

British Cadets 229 194m, 35f

International Cadets 44 42m, 2f

Total Cadets 273 236m, 37f

This is a significant increase in the number of female cadets and, for the first time, there will be five International cadets per platoon.

British Stats

Average age of cadets is 23 . The youngest is 19 , the oldest is 29 .

81% are graduates

54% were educated in State Schools

7% (17 cadets) are Regular Army Entrants

20% have had some reserve service

51% were in a UOTC

39% were in one of the Cadet Forces

30% Have close family connections with the military

International Cadets

44 International cadets are from 22 countries:

Here's a sanitised list of the latest course to give the OP a flavour. As others have said, you're not in competition with the others (though there are prizes to be won). It's mainly about teamwork and meeting the required standards.

General

British Cadets 229 194m, 35f

International Cadets 44 42m, 2f

Total Cadets 273 236m, 37f

This is a significant increase in the number of female cadets and, for the first time, there will be five International cadets per platoon.

British Stats

Average age of cadets is 23 . The youngest is 19 , the oldest is 29 .

81% are graduates

54% were educated in State Schools

7% (17 cadets) are Regular Army Entrants

20% have had some reserve service

51% were in a UOTC

39% were in one of the Cadet Forces

30% Have close family connections with the military

International Cadets

44 International cadets are from 22 countries:
Is that a drop in the number educated in State schools?

I can't seem to remember my intake being a near 50:50 split. I would have thought 70:30 in favour of state from my time in 2006.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Is that a drop in the number educated in State schools?

I can't seem to remember my intake being a near 50:50 split. I would have thought 70:30 in favour of state from my time in 2006.

It goes up and down from intake to intake. A broader picture would be nearer 60% state-educated.

In my day (1978 ) the place was all-male, 75% non-grad (so much younger) and I'd say the majority were privately educated. Quite a generational shift. The graduates were trained on a much shorter course in separate accommodation. Women were trained at Bagshot and the international cadets tended to be from wealthy Middle Eastern countries. Now they are from all over the world.

The only real effect the different intakes has is how many spaces each capbadge has.

May is the first intake of the recruiting year so it's all to okay for.
Sept is the middle.
January is the final intake of the recruiting year and so it's "what is left"

It won't make much difference for large capbadges, but for single battalion capbadges it may make quite a difference.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
And you’re not competing against others, you’re competing against a standard.

Not really. All places in units are competitive and your score on the course (which has a significant impact on where you end up) is a direct comparison against your peers. That said, I'm not sure where people have come from before makes all that much difference to their final ranking.

Either way, the may intake is for winners. It has the lowest number of OTC weirdos, the best space allocation at RSB (see @Commentator's post) and you get to do your post-RMAS special to arm training in summer.

your score on the course (which has a significant impact on where you end up) is a direct comparison against your peers.

Not true I'm afraid.
There's no comparison between officer cadets, just against "the standard"

In which case, how on earth do you decide who to give the various prizes to?
Good point!
Queens Medal is judged on academic scores over the year.

Sword of Honour is indeed best as judged by DS, but decided in Seniors after capbadges etc are decided. OCdts aren't graded into thirds, just above/at/below the standard.

Good point!
Queens Medal is judged on academic scores over the year.

A good friend of mine won an academic prize (I don't think that it was the Queen's Medal - an essay prize?); it didn't do him much good in his subsequent Regular career though.

aren't graded into thirds, just above/at/below the standard.

This is the Army, so I presume that they naturally fall into 1/3 above, 1/3 at, 1/3 below....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads